Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op femoral osteotomy  (Read 10615 times)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
Re: post op femoral osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Good morning all, I am glad to hear all the TTT Patients are doing well.   Halle I know you have an appointment tomorrow, Good Luck!! I went for my 5 week post op yesterday. x-rays look great.  The osteotomy site is in good alignment. The bone is beginning to calcify at the edges of the break. My os is rather pleased with himself.  He said I could try driving, automatic of course cuz it is my left leg. Yea freedom!!!! I will still be on crutches for another month.  I also have to keep the knee imobilzer on and sleep with it. He does not want me to fall and mess up his handiwork. He said this 4 times. Flexion is good I am getting to 90 dregrees fairly easily. I have to work on over 90, which get a little uncomfortable. extension is going a little slower as to be expected. He used a different type of hardware to fixate my break. They look like giant staples. There are 8 of them in there. The advantages of this are my incisions is smaller, about 4 inches. also there is less metal so the hardware should not have to be removed a a later date ;D I finally recieved a disability check, so I went and got a manicure and pedicure. I highly recomend the lpedicure for post op theapy. It made me fell so much better. Everyone have a great day see yall later.  Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 02:26:50 PM »
Kat,

Good for you going and treating yourself to a pedicure & manicure.  Great Idea!!

Everything seems to be going really well, doctor is pleased , flexion is great....

Have a good day today,

Shade

Offline Anna_C

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 03:06:37 PM »
Kat,

Whoo -- I haven't been able to get online for a few days now...anyway, such great news about the healing!  That is fantastic!  Sounds like you are making really fast progress!  Those staples they used sound great too.

Thanks so much for your reply -- it helped me understand a few things.  Do you know if you have to have this done on your other leg too?  Both of mine are out of alignment so I'm just thinking how much time it would take out of my life to have two legs corrected!!!  Anyway, I have an appointment in two weeks to talk to my OS about it -- I just have to first make sure that I don't have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis first since I had some bloodwork come back kind of iffy the other day (I have been so down about that).

Anywho, as usual, keep us informed as to how you're doing!  Wishing you fast healing!
- Plica removal on right knee - 1/25/05
- Current hip problems & maltracking

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 10:57:42 PM »
Hello all,  almost 7 weeks post op. I am so sick of being on crutches!!! The good news is I seem to be healing like I should be. My knee and thigh are a little sore.  800 Ibuprophen at night is very helpful. Flexion and extension seem to be coming along. My right knee seem to be sore alot more than ever. I figure this is because is has been taking a lot of weight through all this. I hope that is all it is. Anna  I hope I will not have to have my right leg done, but the os and I have not talked about that. Most of my deformity was due to wear and tear. Thanks for the note checking on me.  I have been a little down. I want to get out by myself and sometimes this is such a chore. People who know me say I am to dang independent for my own good.  I will check in later.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 10:08:14 PM »
Hello all,

I hope yall are doing well. I am 8 weeks post op today. Incision looks great , leg seems to be doing good. I am not wearing the imobilzer as much as I should, but I think things are okay.  Spirits are down :( I am extremly frustrated being on crutches. I am at home with my almost 4 year old and we are starting to wear on each others nerves. My house is a wreck. I can do a few things, but some seem like such a struggle. Yes I need some cheese to go with my wine. I have an appointment next wednesday to see os.  I will check in later. I hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 04:07:02 PM »
Good morning yall,

I am almost 9 weeks post op. Still on crutches overall doing pretty good. I did have an interesting day yesterday. My 4 year old got mad and had a huge screaming fit when he did not get his way.I decided to grab him and take him to his room. I fell and took all the weight on my left leg. I think I was more scared. It swelled up. I kept ice on it all day and stayed off it.I am sore today, but do not think I need to go to  ER. I have an appointment on wed. Hopefully the bone is healed enough to start weight bearing and to lose the knee imobilezer. I an anxious to see what he says about PT also, as he has not let me do very much. I am doing faily well with flexion and extension. I hope all is well out there in knee land. I will check in on wed.  Hugs and well wishes KAT
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
Kat,

Hang in there.....Sorry about the fall, but sounds like the icing did the trick.  Oh, it is such a long time to be in an immobilizer and crutches.  I sit and complain about my immobilizer and it has only been 10 days - I am truly ashamed.....

Hope that all goes well with your OS visit on Wednesday and you are allowed to ditch the immobilizer and maybe get down to one crutch.  Think that you would find this much more flexible and easier to handle..as well as being easier on your arms....

Good luck,

Shade

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 08:47:35 PM »
Good Afternoon

Hope everyone is doing well. I saw the os today. Everything looks good. I have alot of new bone growth and calcification. The best part is I get to lose the imobilizer  Yea!!!!!! I can increase weight bearing as tolerated. Still on crutches for 1 month. I anticipate He will be sending me back to work in September.  Its all good here.

Take care, Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 09:15:13 PM »
Hello,

I had a huge breakthrough today. I think all girls will understand. I put on undergarments standing on crutches, not sitting down. I know a small but huge step. I did try to put all my weight on my left leg and it is still wobbly. I am keeping the sticks close at hand. Today went well. I am wondering how may other people have femoral osteotomies. I know there are alot o TTT/ Fulkerson, I just do not see many postings like mine.  I hope everyone is doing well and having the best knee day possible.

Hugs  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 09:35:44 PM »
Kat,

Hey, it is these little steps that we take that lead to the bigger ones.  Good for you!!

Easy does it, I have been hearing that alot of late and now here I am telling this to you....there you go, guess I am like a parrot....

Have a good day,

Shade
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:39:00 PM by Shade »

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
Good morning,

I hope everyone is having the best knee day possible. I am 10 1/2 weeks post op. I feel like I am doing  well. My thigh is sore where the break is. My 13 year old thinks I am doing to much. I am noticing some pain in the medial compartment. This is where my weight bearing has been shifted to. I also has noticed my left foot turns out. I think this is because the alignment was so bad for so long.  I am still on crutches, but have been working to increase the weightbearing load. I am trying to get around one one crutch as much as possible. I have a question? Do they just say no crutches and off you go? I am fairly sure I will be released to go back to work in september. I am a little nervous. I try to walk unassisted and I kind of look like frankenstein. My os has not sent me to PT. I am not sure why. He does know money is an issue.

I hope everyone is doing a well as possible. I enjoy reading your stories and thank everyone for your support and well wishes.
I will check in later

Hugs Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 01:15:54 AM »
Hello all,

I have not been on the post op board as much as before. I have a 5 month post appointment tommorow. I am still walking on a cane. I probably do to much at home. My muscle behind my knee froze up and gave me some fits for a couple of weeks. It is doing better now. I do not think the os is going to release me to full weight bearing. I am frustrated how slow recovery is, but I feel like I am doing well.

best wishes to all of you.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 12:02:28 AM »
Hello all,

I saw the ortho yesterday.  My muscle was not frozen up after all. It appears one of my staples came out of my osteotomy site. It managed to move all they way around to the back of my knee joint.  No wonder I was hurting so badly.  My OS scheduled a staple removal and another scope for next Tuesday.  He want to look at the medial compartment to make sure it is handling the alignment change ok.  I was rather suprised to hear this outcome. The good news is the femur is totally healed . Yea!!! hopefully the scope and staple removal will be uneventful.  I will be on cruthches for a week or so.  I hope everyone else is doing well.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 01:02:19 AM »
Kat,

Wishing you all the best for this staple removal and scope. 

Will be thinking of your next Tuesday.

Hugs,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
Hello all,

One week post op. The renegade bone staple was stuck in the nerve running down the back of my leg. I feel so much better habing it out. I have a post op appointment tomorrow. I anticipate a full weight bearing release. My scope showed the medial meniscus is holding up fine. He said everything looked good. I am anxious to work on gait issues. I have good ROM. Thanks again for hugs and well wishes.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery