Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op femoral osteotomy  (Read 10614 times)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
post op femoral osteotomy
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
Okay here it is 5 days pos op. you guys said this would suck but boy does this really suck. I came to my mom's house on thursday. Just getting in the car was the first obstacle. She has  a hyundai suv. they heaved me int the back seat as I cam not bend my left leg. We made it to her house  and guess what I gotta pee!!! I never relized going to the bathroom would be such an ordeal.  She works at a retirement community and thy happened to have an extended pooy thing.  Ahh much more better. I am allergic to codeine so I was sent home with darvocette. This did nothing I wanted to die on thursday. took 2 darvorcett and a zanex and crashed for 4 hours.  Friday went a little better.I was moving around better but boy does it hurt. Today is Saturday and my brother is an angel. He washed my hair. I think he is going to take the bots to the lake today and may main mission is to change my clothes and get he rest of myself clean. I am taking 800 ibuprophen inbetween the darvocett and this seems to take the edge of. Thanks again for well wishes and prayers. Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Jimb

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: post op femoral osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:16:32 AM »
If this helps ya a little, The worst of the pain should be behind you now. The fisrt few days can be a real downer, Now you can start to look ahead to the rehab.

What ostyotomy did you have??
12/2003 scope left knee
03/2004 fulkerson, left knee
02/2005 Scope left knee,
05/2005 Patello-Femeral Replacement Lt Knee
10/2006 Scope,  Lateral Release, Scar tissue debriment
03/19/2007 Left TKR,

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:23:11 AM »
Kat,

Congratulations, you did it & you are back.....Oh, hope the pain gets better soon.....

That was just so nice of your little brother to wash your hair for you - what a sweetie!!

Should be feeling a bit better every day now..good luck.

Shade

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
Hi Kat
It won't help much now but believe me it does get better. I am now 8 weeks post op - TTT and femoral osteotomy, both of which had problems with (bone broke during op and needed graft and femoral site shifted two weeks in and had to be reset). I am still in plaster (due off today thank god) but the pain really starts to diminish at about week four. Even though I was signed off for six weeks I went back to work after four, including commuting on London buses which are the busiest, bumpiest form of transport!

Good luck

Hx
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:50:26 PM »
Hello guys and gals, Today is officially one week post op. I think I am going to survive. Yea!!!I am moving around on the cruthes much better. I saw my os monday. My xrays look great. Is a leg and knee joint susposed to look that straight??? Dr. is pleased with my progress.  I asked for a script for a wheelchair and he laughed.  He anticipates 6 weeks until the bone is healed enough for me to seperate with the one and only knee imobilizer. then we will start some weight bearing and rehab. my family has been great. I have a follow up on june 29 and hopefully we can talk about me going back to Austin. Halle thanks for your feedback my dr has taken me off work for 12 weeks. and jimb I had a distal femoral closong wedge, to correct a over 20 degree valgus deformity due to severe arthritis in my lateral compartment. Now can I vent   I was an an ortho floor, the majority of the staff assumed I was a total knee or a very winey A&A. I had to repeatedly explain what I had done. They sent me home without any idea of how to go to the bathroom or move myself around They did show me crutches and walker. Thanks again I will check back tommorrow. Kat   P.S. Go Spurs Go !!!!!
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »
Hello all, Tomorrow is 3 weeks post op. I am feeling pretty good. there is some tenderness over the area where they broke my bone. I am moving aound fairly well. I go to see the os on wednesday. He will not let me drive until the knee imobilizer comes off. Hopefully at 6 weeks. My little boy went back to austin with my neighbors and my big boy left for boyscout camp.  It is a little strange without them. I am hoping to go home on wednesday. My friend and her mom are going to pick me and my car up.   thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 11:24:48 PM »
Hello , My os appointment went well.  There is not any shift at the osteotomy site. My incision looks good. I think I was lucky I recieved the stitches that disolved. I am allowed to start flexion of the knee joint the goal is to get to 60 degrees in the next 3 weeks. The best news is he said I could go home!!!! So I am back at my house outside of Austin. The stairs were a little daunting but I made it. My boy was very happy to have mommy home. Sleeping is still a little challenging. It is hard to shift positions with the kne imobilier on. I finally moved to the couch about 4 this morning. I did have one small fall. OOps, but I managed to get my self back up without any huge problem. Tommorrow is another day.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
Kat,

YaHoo!!  Home again!!  Good for you....

Sounds like all good news from the doctor - that is great!!

Take care with the moving around, glad you did not hurt yourself with the fall.

Glad that you have been doing so well,

Shade[/color]

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 11:22:23 PM »
Hello. I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July.  Here we are 4 1/2 weeks post op. I feel like I am doing pretty good. Still nwb, but getting around fairly well. My friends and neighbors have been awesom. They are helping with laundry , food  errands etc as the doctor won't let me drive yet. I see him July 13 for my 5 week check. We have figured out the shower so I am in there at least every other day. I am doing well with the flexion. can get 70 to 80 degrees. I just can't seen to lift my leg back up. I am doing well with the quad sets .  I am wathcing way to much trash tv and reading alot of books. I is very hot and dry here in Texas, so it is a good time to be stuck in the house. Shade thanks for your replies and continued encouragement. Take care all    Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:48:31 PM »
Hello all, i had a magor breakthrough today. I took a shower all by myself... My neighbor is a little irratated with me, but I told her it was personal at this point.. I had a good day  I am moving around better every day. I am getting a little anxious to lose the knee imobilzer. we will see what Dr. says on wednesday.I have to tell you something cute. I am home with my 31/2 year old. He will be 4 in September. He has been such a big help for a little boy. I asked him to leave me alone in the shower, and he said "mom I have to take care of you." I am truly amazed at how big of a help he has been.  I am feeling so good I am anxious to try some weight on the leg, but I know better. . I'll sign off for now got some friends bringing some dinner over. Take care all  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 12:15:49 AM »
Kat,

Hey, sounds like everything is still going well for you.  Your little guy sounds so cute - kids can be very helpful if you let them and seems like you are doing that - good for you.  Glad to hear that your neighbors are being so great - WOW!! that is awesome.....

Good luck on July 13th for your 5-week check-up. 

Hang in there,

Shade[/color]

Offline Anna_C

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »
Kat,

I'm happy to hear your recovery is going so well -- sounds like you have a great family.  I've been reading your posts very intently since my OS recently told me that I may have to have a similar procedure due to the fact that my femur in both legs twists inward.  In your case, why did you have to have it done?  Was it a similar mechanical reason?  Do you have any idea when you can go weight-bearing again or when you will be back to normal?  I would appreciate any info you can give me soooooo much!

Thanks so much and please let us know how the check-up goes this Wednesday!

-Anna
- Plica removal on right knee - 1/25/05
- Current hip problems & maltracking

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
Hello Anna, thanks for your reply. I would be happy to share my story. My problems started in Dec of 2003. I noticed my the top of my left knee on the outisde was very swollen. I did not have any significant pain just swelling. I went to see my primary care and he sent me for a mri. I should have figured something was up when we went to mri right off the bat. My mri came back grade 4 chrondromalacia, blown lateral meniscus and severe arthritis in the lateral compartment. He sent me to a os here in Austin. She looked at my films and could not believe I had been walking on the leg as long as I had. They seemed to think I had a very high pain tolerance.  We scheduled the surgury for Jan. I had chrondroplasty menisectomy and she smothed out the pits and grooves where I was bone one bone. I did not really see any differance. If anything certain things were harder. IE stairs were evil. We went on and did an series of hyalgan. I did not really see any relief. Then she put me in the donjoy lateral offloader brace. this helped some what mainly it did not allow me to hyperextend my leg. I plugged along. It seemed like the knee only got worse. she had told me I had the joint of a 60 year old woman, I was 38 at the time. I used to work for an os in San Antonio. I thought if I was going to go any farther I wanted someone I had known to look at my leg. I went to see him in Dec of 2004. I knew I was knockkneed, but I never relized how bad it was. My laterlal compartment was severe bone on bone. My leg had developed a severe valgus deformity.  He recommended the osteotomy. The goal was to realign the knee  and lower leg. I still have cartiledge in the medial compartment. I am still going to be a canidate for tkr, but this should buy me 10 to 15 years. I should also have a better joint to work with because I am not wearing on the lateral side  anymore.As to when I can be weight bearing I am hoping soon. It depends on how well the break  is healed. He told me to expect 6 to 8 weeks. I feel like I am doing well. I will be off work for 12 weeks. I do have a job that involves walking and lifting. as far as back to normal???? who said I was normal before?? Ha Ha. I hope this helps.  If you ask If I am glad I did it I would tell you yes. I never realized how messed up the leg was. Yes osteotomys are big operations, but  you heal and recover. As you have seen this group is awsome for support and info.   I will talk to everyone after os on wed, think bye bye knee imobilzer... Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »
I just want to have a bit of a moan to everyone who understands as I think I am trying my friends' patience by now.

I had a femoral osteotomy for a valgus deformity and TTT on April 14. It's been quite problematic (tibia broke when tested during op and two weeks later the femur moved at the osteotomy site) and I was in plaster for 8 weeks and have just been to see my OS after four weeks in a Don Joy brace. It has been painful and uncomfortable sice I came out of plaster and an x-ray confirmed that the fracture still hasn't healed and there has been a shift in the alignment of the osteotomy. I've got to go back on Friday have my 10 inch scar reopened, metalwork removed (plate and 9 screws) and using a realtime xray it will be manipulated into position and plastered for another six weeks. I'm not sure if I can cope with any more. I'm so sick of being on crutches and not having a life. I know it will be better in the long run but it's not really helping now.

Sorry for the moan.

Hxxx
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »
Hello Halle, I am sorry to hear your recovery is not going so well. Looking at more surgury and casting after all you have been through must be overwelming. Having 2 bones broke is a lot more healing than one. 6 more weeks in plaster is going to be a drag, but if the bone starts to knit together it will be a good thing. I do understand !!! My bone is healing well, but I want to walk without crutchs, I want to sleep on my side. Most of all I want my 31/2 year old to know I am serious when I say I am getting up to kick his butt that I am serious!!! You can cope and life will be there when we are healed and kicking booty. I go to my os tomorrow I will let everyone know how it went. Will you please let me know how your appointment goesonfriday. I look forward to hearing from you  Good luck and good healing My prayers will be with you.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Good morning all, I am glad to hear all the TTT Patients are doing well.   Halle I know you have an appointment tomorrow, Good Luck!! I went for my 5 week post op yesterday. x-rays look great.  The osteotomy site is in good alignment. The bone is beginning to calcify at the edges of the break. My os is rather pleased with himself.  He said I could try driving, automatic of course cuz it is my left leg. Yea freedom!!!! I will still be on crutches for another month.  I also have to keep the knee imobilzer on and sleep with it. He does not want me to fall and mess up his handiwork. He said this 4 times. Flexion is good I am getting to 90 dregrees fairly easily. I have to work on over 90, which get a little uncomfortable. extension is going a little slower as to be expected. He used a different type of hardware to fixate my break. They look like giant staples. There are 8 of them in there. The advantages of this are my incisions is smaller, about 4 inches. also there is less metal so the hardware should not have to be removed a a later date ;D I finally recieved a disability check, so I went and got a manicure and pedicure. I highly recomend the lpedicure for post op theapy. It made me fell so much better. Everyone have a great day see yall later.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 02:26:50 PM »
Kat,

Good for you going and treating yourself to a pedicure & manicure.  Great Idea!!

Everything seems to be going really well, doctor is pleased , flexion is great....

Have a good day today,

Shade

Offline Anna_C

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 03:06:37 PM »
Kat,

Whoo -- I haven't been able to get online for a few days now...anyway, such great news about the healing!  That is fantastic!  Sounds like you are making really fast progress!  Those staples they used sound great too.

Thanks so much for your reply -- it helped me understand a few things.  Do you know if you have to have this done on your other leg too?  Both of mine are out of alignment so I'm just thinking how much time it would take out of my life to have two legs corrected!!!  Anyway, I have an appointment in two weeks to talk to my OS about it -- I just have to first make sure that I don't have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis first since I had some bloodwork come back kind of iffy the other day (I have been so down about that).

Anywho, as usual, keep us informed as to how you're doing!  Wishing you fast healing!
- Plica removal on right knee - 1/25/05
- Current hip problems & maltracking

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 10:57:42 PM »
Hello all,  almost 7 weeks post op. I am so sick of being on crutches!!! The good news is I seem to be healing like I should be. My knee and thigh are a little sore.  800 Ibuprophen at night is very helpful. Flexion and extension seem to be coming along. My right knee seem to be sore alot more than ever. I figure this is because is has been taking a lot of weight through all this. I hope that is all it is. Anna  I hope I will not have to have my right leg done, but the os and I have not talked about that. Most of my deformity was due to wear and tear. Thanks for the note checking on me.  I have been a little down. I want to get out by myself and sometimes this is such a chore. People who know me say I am to dang independent for my own good.  I will check in later.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 10:08:14 PM »
Hello all,

I hope yall are doing well. I am 8 weeks post op today. Incision looks great , leg seems to be doing good. I am not wearing the imobilzer as much as I should, but I think things are okay.  Spirits are down :( I am extremly frustrated being on crutches. I am at home with my almost 4 year old and we are starting to wear on each others nerves. My house is a wreck. I can do a few things, but some seem like such a struggle. Yes I need some cheese to go with my wine. I have an appointment next wednesday to see os.  I will check in later. I hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 04:07:02 PM »
Good morning yall,

I am almost 9 weeks post op. Still on crutches overall doing pretty good. I did have an interesting day yesterday. My 4 year old got mad and had a huge screaming fit when he did not get his way.I decided to grab him and take him to his room. I fell and took all the weight on my left leg. I think I was more scared. It swelled up. I kept ice on it all day and stayed off it.I am sore today, but do not think I need to go to  ER. I have an appointment on wed. Hopefully the bone is healed enough to start weight bearing and to lose the knee imobilezer. I an anxious to see what he says about PT also, as he has not let me do very much. I am doing faily well with flexion and extension. I hope all is well out there in knee land. I will check in on wed.  Hugs and well wishes KAT
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
Kat,

Hang in there.....Sorry about the fall, but sounds like the icing did the trick.  Oh, it is such a long time to be in an immobilizer and crutches.  I sit and complain about my immobilizer and it has only been 10 days - I am truly ashamed.....

Hope that all goes well with your OS visit on Wednesday and you are allowed to ditch the immobilizer and maybe get down to one crutch.  Think that you would find this much more flexible and easier to handle..as well as being easier on your arms....

Good luck,

Shade

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 08:47:35 PM »
Good Afternoon

Hope everyone is doing well. I saw the os today. Everything looks good. I have alot of new bone growth and calcification. The best part is I get to lose the imobilizer  Yea!!!!!! I can increase weight bearing as tolerated. Still on crutches for 1 month. I anticipate He will be sending me back to work in September.  Its all good here.

Take care, Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 09:15:13 PM »
Hello,

I had a huge breakthrough today. I think all girls will understand. I put on undergarments standing on crutches, not sitting down. I know a small but huge step. I did try to put all my weight on my left leg and it is still wobbly. I am keeping the sticks close at hand. Today went well. I am wondering how may other people have femoral osteotomies. I know there are alot o TTT/ Fulkerson, I just do not see many postings like mine.  I hope everyone is doing well and having the best knee day possible.

Hugs  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 09:35:44 PM »
Kat,

Hey, it is these little steps that we take that lead to the bigger ones.  Good for you!!

Easy does it, I have been hearing that alot of late and now here I am telling this to you....there you go, guess I am like a parrot....

Have a good day,

Shade
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:39:00 PM by Shade »

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
Good morning,

I hope everyone is having the best knee day possible. I am 10 1/2 weeks post op. I feel like I am doing  well. My thigh is sore where the break is. My 13 year old thinks I am doing to much. I am noticing some pain in the medial compartment. This is where my weight bearing has been shifted to. I also has noticed my left foot turns out. I think this is because the alignment was so bad for so long.  I am still on crutches, but have been working to increase the weightbearing load. I am trying to get around one one crutch as much as possible. I have a question? Do they just say no crutches and off you go? I am fairly sure I will be released to go back to work in september. I am a little nervous. I try to walk unassisted and I kind of look like frankenstein. My os has not sent me to PT. I am not sure why. He does know money is an issue.

I hope everyone is doing a well as possible. I enjoy reading your stories and thank everyone for your support and well wishes.
I will check in later

Hugs Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 01:15:54 AM »
Hello all,

I have not been on the post op board as much as before. I have a 5 month post appointment tommorow. I am still walking on a cane. I probably do to much at home. My muscle behind my knee froze up and gave me some fits for a couple of weeks. It is doing better now. I do not think the os is going to release me to full weight bearing. I am frustrated how slow recovery is, but I feel like I am doing well.

best wishes to all of you.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 12:02:28 AM »
Hello all,

I saw the ortho yesterday.  My muscle was not frozen up after all. It appears one of my staples came out of my osteotomy site. It managed to move all they way around to the back of my knee joint.  No wonder I was hurting so badly.  My OS scheduled a staple removal and another scope for next Tuesday.  He want to look at the medial compartment to make sure it is handling the alignment change ok.  I was rather suprised to hear this outcome. The good news is the femur is totally healed . Yea!!! hopefully the scope and staple removal will be uneventful.  I will be on cruthches for a week or so.  I hope everyone else is doing well.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 01:02:19 AM »
Kat,

Wishing you all the best for this staple removal and scope. 

Will be thinking of your next Tuesday.

Hugs,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
Hello all,

One week post op. The renegade bone staple was stuck in the nerve running down the back of my leg. I feel so much better habing it out. I have a post op appointment tomorrow. I anticipate a full weight bearing release. My scope showed the medial meniscus is holding up fine. He said everything looked good. I am anxious to work on gait issues. I have good ROM. Thanks again for hugs and well wishes.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:30:09 PM »
Kat,

That is good news.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had a 2 month post op from staple removal and scope and a 7 month post op from the fem os surgery yesterday. I did lose the cane about 3 weeks ago. My concerns at this point are I have a click or catch in the lateral side. Medial side is mildly tender and where are we going from here? OS says the catch could be scar tissue or fat deposits. If it does not hurt leave it be at this point. Medial tenderness could be a combination of healing from 2nd scope and nerves and muscles getting used to the new alignment. My activity level is also increasing. Future maybe lateral pkr, tkr is a given. I am hoping to buy 10 years. I emphasize hoping.Gait is what it is he prepared me that it would be different. I think strengh and endurance will help there. All and all not a bad visit. He released me and said to call if I had problems. As I have been reminded full recovery is still down the line.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »
hi kat,
I've been following your progress, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm curious about one of your comments, that your doctor prepared you for changes in your gait? I'm not sure what you mean by this.
I had my 5 week follow-up with my OS yesterday, after my Fulkerson on 12/19. One of the things my OS said reminded me of your comment. He said something about my new alignment would "take some getting used to," as I
was living with the misalignment for so long. I didn't know what he meant, and it was kind of mentioned in passing, so I didn't ask about it.

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi Tangerine,

Thanks for following my thread I am happy to know that I can help.

Gait is the way you walk. I had walked with my leg knockkneed for so long I did not realize how bad it was. Now that my leg is straight and the weight bearing is offloaded to the healthy side of the knee my gait is different. My left leg is also a tiny bit shorter because of the shift in alignment. I have had a bout of bursitis because the pes anserine bursa just woke up and relized what we did. All the medial structures are having to get used to the shift. Muscles, tendons and nerves are all waking up and saying "HELLO it was not this way before"

Good Luck with your recovey and please stay in touch.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 06:55:23 PM »
Kat,
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. My problem was patellofemoral pain caused by my knee tracking too much on the lateral side. So I haven't thought my gait adjustment would be too noticable, as it would be from a knockkneed situation.
But my OS did say that I would have some soreness once I start walking again. I guess time will tell.
Thanks again,
Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
Hello all,

Here we are 9 month post op femoral osteotomy. All and All I think we are doing well. Knee is getting used to new alignment and gait pattern is getting better. Or I  am getting used to it. Of couse if I push Agitha reminds me to slow down. I am doing well in
school and have been offered a job as a post partum care giver for a birthing center. I know there are not alot of femoral osteotomy  victims here, but if I can help in any way please let me know.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 10:40:07 PM »
Kat,

Well, as you know, I am a femoral osteotomy victim, but at least I am in the company of wonderful people   ;)

You are doing great, and I'm so happy to hear you feel your gait is improving! I know you've been concerned about that, and I truly understand. I am still waiting for the Rx to have the lift put on my shoe to shore up the length difference. I hope it will help get me on the way to walking correctly. Baby steps.....

Congrats too on the new job, and the new life out in front of you. I think you'll make a teriffic caregiver!  You've got a good heart for it.

Hugs,

Liz
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 01:44:48 AM »
Liz, getting to know you has been one of the best things about this ordeal. ;) Yes it is about baby steps. Thanks for your encouagement and support. I hope I can help someone like you helped me. Remember that first message????

Hugs Kat and the boy's
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 09:37:31 PM »
Hi Kat
Glad to hear everything is going well after a few hiccups along the way.
I haven't posted here much as I've been spending a lot of time on a yahoo group for fixator wearers. Basically, in November I still had non union of my femoral osteotomy so I had surgery to striaghten my leg and fit a three ring external fixator to ensure I have no movement at the osteotomy site. Three and a half months in I have had one ring removed and now have a provisional date for removal of the whole thing. This will be April 18, almost a year to the day of my original surgery. It's been a long haul.
Now my ROM is so poor (25 degrees) because of scar tissue and lack of use so I face further surgery to try and sort this out.
I hate crutches, knees, dressings....!!
Hope you are well

Halide
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:52 PM »
Hi, Halle,

I was just wondering about you the other day.I had read about the external fixator rings a wondered how you were doing. I am so glad to here from you. It does sound like you have been through a haul. I am glad to hear you have a date to get the rest of the rings off. What happen from there?? Please keep your chin up and let me know if I can help or if you just need to vent.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi Kat
Thanks for the kind wishes.
Now the osteotomy is almost healed my next problem is going to be bending my knee after 12 months of no movement. I had the lower ring removed about six weeks ago so now I only have two above my knee which enables me to do physio. I went from no movement six weeks ago to 34 degrees last week. Although this is obviously a move in the right direction it is such a small ROM that it seems almost nothing. My physio thinks that I will continue until about 60/70 degrees when I will plateau and require surgical intervention for the scar tissue - a scope to remove as much as possible, quadriceplasty and manipulation under anaesthetic. My OS wants me to "normalize" the knee for a couple of months after removal before deciding what to do next.....
It's going to be a long haul but at least I am seeing progress now and I am so looking forward to having a proper bath and wearing jeans!!

Take Care

Halide x
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 04:34:44 AM »
Hello all,

Coming up on the 1 year mark of the evil femerol osteotomy. ;) I am doing very good.  Gait pattern is good. Activity is increasing daily, and life does not always revolve around the knee, leg and surgery. I am doing great in school and my boys are growing up quickly. I am happy I had it done.

Kat and the boy's from Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline hmfc5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:47 AM »
Just wanted to thank you for all of the insight you provided with your post-op diary. I am now 7 weeks post-op from a distal femoral osteotomy. I am still on crutches, but do not have much pain. I am getting real tired of the crutches and not having free hands to carry things, but overall it's going well. The stationary bike and I have become friends since I was given permission to use it to aid in range of motion.
Now that you are more than one year out, do you feel fully recovered? My OS said to expect 6 months to a year for full recovery. Some take longer, but because I am relatively young (26), he thinks it should go quickly. Any advice in terms of physical therapy? When did you start and how long did you do it for?
Thanks for any advice that you can give.
Heather

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »
Hello Heather,

It is great to hear from another person who went thru this. This is an operation that you do not see alot. It is brutal and the recovery is long.

It is great you can do the stationary bike. Work the range of motion.. Crutches get old very quick as you saw I was chasing kids. I went everywhere lake,beach anywhere. Yes 6 months to a year is a goal. You are much younger than me.

Advice to pt work your quads. I did not have pt because of money and I did not do a good job of doing it myself.

My best advice is to listen to your leg. I feel fully recovered, but I do not do stairs. At least I avoid lots of stairs. At school people think I am being lazy. I am going to school to be a surgical tech. My OS assured me I could do this after my osteotomy.

Please keep in touch

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 04:09:27 AM »
Hey Kat,

Keep up the good work. I am 4 months out since I had a HTO ( high tibial osteotomy). Soon, you'll be back on your feet and back to normal routines. The pain for me subsided about a week or two out. After that, I just loved getting high off of the suckers. Its addicting and I can see why.  :)

Anyway, keep up the good work. We are all routing for you

Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 05:47:56 AM »
Hello All,

I have not been here at my post op in a while. I guess when life gets to some sort of normalness you do not think about being post-op. I am doing well. :D As with all knee things there are days, but it is so much better than before with the limb being straight. Stairs are still evil and I will not play with them. Their loss. I used to run the heck out of them when I was younger. Am I happy I did it. I would have to say for me "yes" I do not exercise as much as I should and need to loose some weight, but my focus is on finishing school. I applied for the surgical tech program on crutches 6 weeks after my surgery. The instructors thought I was crazy. I am the oldest student in the group with a great GPA. I just had a class that involved 4 hours of standing and no potty breaks :o I did great. I am also working at the school for the surgical tech program..

Life has had some troubles along the way but this femoral osteotomy victim is doing great. ;D

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 03:36:59 AM »
Hello all,

2 year celebration of the operation, Life almost seems normal ::) It is a different normal but as normal as can be. The operated leg is doing great. I am even going down stairs on a regular basis. I went to New Orlean and walked my bottom off ( so to say) and did great. I did feel some after effects, Bourbon street may have had something to do with that.

I went to the doctor today and got a clearance to start my clinical rotation in July. ;D I will graduate my Surgical Tech program in December.

I will still need work on the knees in the future, but I think the goal of buying me time was very successful

Thanks for all your support. This site has been a blessing to me

Kat from Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
Hello all,

I have not been here in a while which is an indication of how well I am doing. I will be 4 years post op this summer. All in all things are good. Working in the OR delivering babies. Left knee speakes to me when I have worked to hard. Right knee in trying to be a twin. She is at 17 degrees of valgus. OS in Austin wants to replace lefty and I told him "no way not yet" Went to OS in San Antonio and he in on the same plane as me to buy more time. At least the lefty is straight. Am I glad I did the femoral osteotomy??? Yes  I am. We did not get as good of results as we hoped for, but all in all things are good. My OS in SA does not want to align the right one. We are gonna play wait and see. I look at things this way, I am not taking oxycontin,and work and run my life very well. Things are blessed in my world
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

support