Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op femoral osteotomy  (Read 10612 times)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
post op femoral osteotomy
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
Okay here it is 5 days pos op. you guys said this would suck but boy does this really suck. I came to my mom's house on thursday. Just getting in the car was the first obstacle. She has  a hyundai suv. they heaved me int the back seat as I cam not bend my left leg. We made it to her house  and guess what I gotta pee!!! I never relized going to the bathroom would be such an ordeal.  She works at a retirement community and thy happened to have an extended pooy thing.  Ahh much more better. I am allergic to codeine so I was sent home with darvocette. This did nothing I wanted to die on thursday. took 2 darvorcett and a zanex and crashed for 4 hours.  Friday went a little better.I was moving around better but boy does it hurt. Today is Saturday and my brother is an angel. He washed my hair. I think he is going to take the bots to the lake today and may main mission is to change my clothes and get he rest of myself clean. I am taking 800 ibuprophen inbetween the darvocett and this seems to take the edge of. Thanks again for well wishes and prayers. Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Jimb

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: post op femoral osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:16:32 AM »
If this helps ya a little, The worst of the pain should be behind you now. The fisrt few days can be a real downer, Now you can start to look ahead to the rehab.

What ostyotomy did you have??
12/2003 scope left knee
03/2004 fulkerson, left knee
02/2005 Scope left knee,
05/2005 Patello-Femeral Replacement Lt Knee
10/2006 Scope,  Lateral Release, Scar tissue debriment
03/19/2007 Left TKR,

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:23:11 AM »
Kat,

Congratulations, you did it & you are back.....Oh, hope the pain gets better soon.....

That was just so nice of your little brother to wash your hair for you - what a sweetie!!

Should be feeling a bit better every day now..good luck.

Shade

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
Hi Kat
It won't help much now but believe me it does get better. I am now 8 weeks post op - TTT and femoral osteotomy, both of which had problems with (bone broke during op and needed graft and femoral site shifted two weeks in and had to be reset). I am still in plaster (due off today thank god) but the pain really starts to diminish at about week four. Even though I was signed off for six weeks I went back to work after four, including commuting on London buses which are the busiest, bumpiest form of transport!

Good luck

Hx
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:50:26 PM »
Hello guys and gals, Today is officially one week post op. I think I am going to survive. Yea!!!I am moving around on the cruthes much better. I saw my os monday. My xrays look great. Is a leg and knee joint susposed to look that straight??? Dr. is pleased with my progress.  I asked for a script for a wheelchair and he laughed.  He anticipates 6 weeks until the bone is healed enough for me to seperate with the one and only knee imobilizer. then we will start some weight bearing and rehab. my family has been great. I have a follow up on june 29 and hopefully we can talk about me going back to Austin. Halle thanks for your feedback my dr has taken me off work for 12 weeks. and jimb I had a distal femoral closong wedge, to correct a over 20 degree valgus deformity due to severe arthritis in my lateral compartment. Now can I vent   I was an an ortho floor, the majority of the staff assumed I was a total knee or a very winey A&A. I had to repeatedly explain what I had done. They sent me home without any idea of how to go to the bathroom or move myself around They did show me crutches and walker. Thanks again I will check back tommorrow. Kat   P.S. Go Spurs Go !!!!!
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »
Hello all, Tomorrow is 3 weeks post op. I am feeling pretty good. there is some tenderness over the area where they broke my bone. I am moving aound fairly well. I go to see the os on wednesday. He will not let me drive until the knee imobilizer comes off. Hopefully at 6 weeks. My little boy went back to austin with my neighbors and my big boy left for boyscout camp.  It is a little strange without them. I am hoping to go home on wednesday. My friend and her mom are going to pick me and my car up.   thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 11:24:48 PM »
Hello , My os appointment went well.  There is not any shift at the osteotomy site. My incision looks good. I think I was lucky I recieved the stitches that disolved. I am allowed to start flexion of the knee joint the goal is to get to 60 degrees in the next 3 weeks. The best news is he said I could go home!!!! So I am back at my house outside of Austin. The stairs were a little daunting but I made it. My boy was very happy to have mommy home. Sleeping is still a little challenging. It is hard to shift positions with the kne imobilier on. I finally moved to the couch about 4 this morning. I did have one small fall. OOps, but I managed to get my self back up without any huge problem. Tommorrow is another day.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
Kat,

YaHoo!!  Home again!!  Good for you....

Sounds like all good news from the doctor - that is great!!

Take care with the moving around, glad you did not hurt yourself with the fall.

Glad that you have been doing so well,

Shade[/color]

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 11:22:23 PM »
Hello. I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July.  Here we are 4 1/2 weeks post op. I feel like I am doing pretty good. Still nwb, but getting around fairly well. My friends and neighbors have been awesom. They are helping with laundry , food  errands etc as the doctor won't let me drive yet. I see him July 13 for my 5 week check. We have figured out the shower so I am in there at least every other day. I am doing well with the flexion. can get 70 to 80 degrees. I just can't seen to lift my leg back up. I am doing well with the quad sets .  I am wathcing way to much trash tv and reading alot of books. I is very hot and dry here in Texas, so it is a good time to be stuck in the house. Shade thanks for your replies and continued encouragement. Take care all    Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:48:31 PM »
Hello all, i had a magor breakthrough today. I took a shower all by myself... My neighbor is a little irratated with me, but I told her it was personal at this point.. I had a good day  I am moving around better every day. I am getting a little anxious to lose the knee imobilzer. we will see what Dr. says on wednesday.I have to tell you something cute. I am home with my 31/2 year old. He will be 4 in September. He has been such a big help for a little boy. I asked him to leave me alone in the shower, and he said "mom I have to take care of you." I am truly amazed at how big of a help he has been.  I am feeling so good I am anxious to try some weight on the leg, but I know better. . I'll sign off for now got some friends bringing some dinner over. Take care all  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 12:15:49 AM »
Kat,

Hey, sounds like everything is still going well for you.  Your little guy sounds so cute - kids can be very helpful if you let them and seems like you are doing that - good for you.  Glad to hear that your neighbors are being so great - WOW!! that is awesome.....

Good luck on July 13th for your 5-week check-up. 

Hang in there,

Shade[/color]

Offline Anna_C

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »
Kat,

I'm happy to hear your recovery is going so well -- sounds like you have a great family.  I've been reading your posts very intently since my OS recently told me that I may have to have a similar procedure due to the fact that my femur in both legs twists inward.  In your case, why did you have to have it done?  Was it a similar mechanical reason?  Do you have any idea when you can go weight-bearing again or when you will be back to normal?  I would appreciate any info you can give me soooooo much!

Thanks so much and please let us know how the check-up goes this Wednesday!

-Anna
- Plica removal on right knee - 1/25/05
- Current hip problems & maltracking

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
Hello Anna, thanks for your reply. I would be happy to share my story. My problems started in Dec of 2003. I noticed my the top of my left knee on the outisde was very swollen. I did not have any significant pain just swelling. I went to see my primary care and he sent me for a mri. I should have figured something was up when we went to mri right off the bat. My mri came back grade 4 chrondromalacia, blown lateral meniscus and severe arthritis in the lateral compartment. He sent me to a os here in Austin. She looked at my films and could not believe I had been walking on the leg as long as I had. They seemed to think I had a very high pain tolerance.  We scheduled the surgury for Jan. I had chrondroplasty menisectomy and she smothed out the pits and grooves where I was bone one bone. I did not really see any differance. If anything certain things were harder. IE stairs were evil. We went on and did an series of hyalgan. I did not really see any relief. Then she put me in the donjoy lateral offloader brace. this helped some what mainly it did not allow me to hyperextend my leg. I plugged along. It seemed like the knee only got worse. she had told me I had the joint of a 60 year old woman, I was 38 at the time. I used to work for an os in San Antonio. I thought if I was going to go any farther I wanted someone I had known to look at my leg. I went to see him in Dec of 2004. I knew I was knockkneed, but I never relized how bad it was. My laterlal compartment was severe bone on bone. My leg had developed a severe valgus deformity.  He recommended the osteotomy. The goal was to realign the knee  and lower leg. I still have cartiledge in the medial compartment. I am still going to be a canidate for tkr, but this should buy me 10 to 15 years. I should also have a better joint to work with because I am not wearing on the lateral side  anymore.As to when I can be weight bearing I am hoping soon. It depends on how well the break  is healed. He told me to expect 6 to 8 weeks. I feel like I am doing well. I will be off work for 12 weeks. I do have a job that involves walking and lifting. as far as back to normal???? who said I was normal before?? Ha Ha. I hope this helps.  If you ask If I am glad I did it I would tell you yes. I never realized how messed up the leg was. Yes osteotomys are big operations, but  you heal and recover. As you have seen this group is awsome for support and info.   I will talk to everyone after os on wed, think bye bye knee imobilzer... Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »
I just want to have a bit of a moan to everyone who understands as I think I am trying my friends' patience by now.

I had a femoral osteotomy for a valgus deformity and TTT on April 14. It's been quite problematic (tibia broke when tested during op and two weeks later the femur moved at the osteotomy site) and I was in plaster for 8 weeks and have just been to see my OS after four weeks in a Don Joy brace. It has been painful and uncomfortable sice I came out of plaster and an x-ray confirmed that the fracture still hasn't healed and there has been a shift in the alignment of the osteotomy. I've got to go back on Friday have my 10 inch scar reopened, metalwork removed (plate and 9 screws) and using a realtime xray it will be manipulated into position and plastered for another six weeks. I'm not sure if I can cope with any more. I'm so sick of being on crutches and not having a life. I know it will be better in the long run but it's not really helping now.

Sorry for the moan.

Hxxx
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »
Hello Halle, I am sorry to hear your recovery is not going so well. Looking at more surgury and casting after all you have been through must be overwelming. Having 2 bones broke is a lot more healing than one. 6 more weeks in plaster is going to be a drag, but if the bone starts to knit together it will be a good thing. I do understand !!! My bone is healing well, but I want to walk without crutchs, I want to sleep on my side. Most of all I want my 31/2 year old to know I am serious when I say I am getting up to kick his butt that I am serious!!! You can cope and life will be there when we are healed and kicking booty. I go to my os tomorrow I will let everyone know how it went. Will you please let me know how your appointment goesonfriday. I look forward to hearing from you  Good luck and good healing My prayers will be with you.  Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

support