Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee swollen at the back...  (Read 862 times)

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
knee swollen at the back...
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:51:47 PM »
Hi everyone!
I've posted again and again here as I'm still very confused... :)
I've been diagnosed with chondropathia patella (cause by a tilted patella) and ive had 90% of my medial meniscus removed about 4 years ago on the same leg. The past week I've noticed that my knee is swollen at the back....And I was just messing around to see if it hurts and it hurts a little bit now...It used to hurt me a lot on the outside of the knee at the back...but this is different.Its in the center..And its definately swollen...Any ideas?I'm abroad at the moment so can't go the my doc.
Any suggestions would be grately appreciated!
Marika

Offline tony38

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: knee swollen at the back...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 04:29:51 AM »
Hi Marika,

I formed a lump at the back of my injured knee from fluid building up in there. My record refers to it as a "Baker's cyst in the popliteal region'. My doc says it most probably part of the swelling that got pushed back in there by bending as I regain more ROM and the knee becoming more active. He explains that this cyst is usually harmless and we could aspirate the fluid later if it bothers me. So far it does not seem to cause me any trouble.
Look up Swelling and Baker's cyst below in the arthritis section and see if the other posts describes yours. It might be caused by some underlying condition that you have. Mine does not hurt, just feel pressure when I push on it. If yours does, you  might want to get it looked at when you get the chance.
Have you tried if the pain and swelling responds to RICE?

Tony
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 05:17:21 AM by tony38 »
Jan 23/05 fractured left patella, ruptured quad tendon and both collateral ligaments.
Jan 24/05 ORIF 2 wires with 4 pins.
Jan 24-May 5 leg cast/immobilized, no PT.
May 6 finally released for PT, ROM 0-32.
Jun/05 ROM 0-77.

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
Hi Tony and thank you for your reply.
I have tryed icing it but its still there...Its not painful, just feels a little tender when I touch it or when my knee is bend...
But the front of my knee is not that swollen...just a little bit.I looked it through on the internet I thought this is what it is..Can't find anytihng else similar..
Thanks again!

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 03:39:08 PM »
Hi,

Baker's cyst is very common and there isn't anything you can do about it. They don't drain it because it comes right back. But it's usually not a big problem as knee probs go. I have one in both knees.  As long as the rest of your knee operates okay you should be fine.

Good luck!

Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

support