Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Benefits of knee problems!  (Read 62670 times)

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Benefits of knee problems!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 02:38:01 PM »
Hi there
In a similar vein to Andys comments above, when I go to the hydro pool I often come across a lady in the pool whos confined to a wheel chair.  she gets in the water with the aid of a lifting machine and her friend tows her around in the water.  Seeing her in there, while I think it is great that she has a lovely friend that takes the time to take her to the pool like that, makes me realise how lucky I am to only have this dicky little knee.... it could be way worse. 
Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

shadehawk

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 03:02:53 PM »

Hi, I have found that my friend here is a great thing to give people. It is almost like people turn soft or remember their childhood - something happens when you give people bears. Older people especially love getting cuddly teddy bears.

When my father was sick - he could not talk anymore because of his stroke. I gave him a gund bear like this one and he cuddled that bear and always had it with him....Everyone told me that was just crazy to give him something like that...Not So!! Whenever I have a sick friend or neighbor I make sure that I give them a bear or else a card with a teddy bear on it. Everyone loves bears!!

Hope that I did not get off subject...but I think that I notice other people much more now - and like making people smile - Bears Help To Do That.....

Hug a Bear, it really feels good...... ;D

Shade
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 03:13:06 PM by Shade »

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 01:44:54 AM »
My husband buys me a bear every Christmas...it's become a tradition.  This past year's is an especially cuddly Gund...he's been a good pal on my weepy days!!!
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 05:12:26 AM »
Most use i've found from my knee's is if I don't really want to do something but don't want to feel like im being a social leper or letting anyone down I say my knee's are doing really bad or something

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 01:00:43 AM »
Perfect strangers ask me what happened, and after we chat they aren't strangers anymore.
Yunti
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 04:48:33 AM »
The benefits to me of knee problems is that I now have a better appreciation for my life and all that I can do even with limitations!!

ALSO....through the KNEEGURU site I met my best friend about 5 years ago and I just got back from a weeks vacation visiting her home in a different state in the US!!!!!!! I could not ask for a better friend !!!! Just knowing I have support is wonderfull!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98, TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline newmom2afw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 01:45:26 AM »
I am 24, and am scheduled for my 3rd knee surgery since I was 17.  My first 2 surgeries taught me to appreciate my mom more than ever.  She never left my side, and sat, laughed and cried with me.  This time around, I have a daughter to appreciate.  She is 2, and can be a handful.  Howver, knowing that I won't be able to care for her the way a mother is supposed to, has made me step back and remember to cherish every moment with her, even if it is a screaming fit!!!  Once again, my mom will be by my side as much as possible!!!

Offline shiningwaters

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 08:50:50 PM »
After my injury and first surgery I wasn't able to give my daughter rides to school. I spent the morning with my younger son instead.  We both agree that we enjoy having more time together.

I have had to learn to ask for help.  I am a single mom with no family close by, so I have to ask for help. Sometimes AFTER the worst of it has passed.  I've had to endure family and friends coming into my disgustingly dirty house and clean it up for me..without judging. Not a pleasant process, but it wasn't the end of the earth either.  I've learned all about how I tend not to ask, I want everyone to know what I need.  I wait until I can't stand it any more and then make a big show about wanting things done.  Now I just ask.

I've watched my wonderful daughter become aware of the needs of others and extend herself to be helpful even when every cell of her teenage body would like to rebel ;)  I always say thank you, and I really mean it. My younger son's acceptance amazes me.  He's ok with not getting out to do all kinds of things, and likes being home with his mom in low gear.  We still get out for soccer and dairy queen, and all the other really important things in life.

Sitting on the poarch is something I never have time for, but now it keeps me sane. Tending to the flowers and enjoying their beauty gives me a big lift.

There are good things, and there are things that really suck big time.  My ability to think and remember what to do has gone down the tubes, but then I don't have to worry about the things I didn't remember.  I feel like 65 at 50, but maybe I'll feel 50 when I get to 65.

As you can tell I spend allot of time every day contemplating this subject.  I've gotta keep up the outfield chatter to keep stepping up to the plate. If something's not working, consider it's opposite, maybe it will work better.

Annie

2/05 Dislocated rt knee in fall
3/11 ACL/PCL, medial meniscus rupture removed
7/11 Posterior Corner Reconstruction, post op foot drop, ACL disintegrated.
Regain motion in right foot
2/06 Medial Collateral reconstruction---3/24 Failed
5/12 ACL MCL reconstruction (second round for both)

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 01:49:43 AM »
As simple as this sounds, the biggest benefit for me has been the people I've met, some of whom have become lifelong friends. This round, I've learned that there really are those who truly care about helping people, regardless of the effort, cost or otherwise. I had become so jaded by life, and circumstances, I really believed that people's bottom line was always financial, or there had to be something in it for them. I was so wrong. A lesson learned, a good one I might add! ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:45:59 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline gdaddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 11:04:45 PM »
I found five dollars because everybody else was walking quickly along, but I was going slow(on crutches) and looking down where I was going. Find more money!

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »
Finding KNEEgeeks has kept me sane!

knowing a lot more about what is gonna happen to my knee in the op and that there are other people like me out there is brilliant!

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 06:07:17 PM »
With dodgy knees I have noticed that people don't ask me to drive them anywhere - great for going to the pub and more importantly coming back from the pub.  (Only no real benefit as I am tee-total).
Also I find that it is a good talking point - a bit like owning a dog - it normally goes 'have you got a bad knee?' (they have passed the observation test)
Reply 'Yes'
Q 'What's wrong?'
Reply 'Miserable malalignment'
Q 'Have I got that my knees click sometimes - feel this'
R Really I'd rather not..........

Am I just blessed or do others have this problem??
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »
lol, i have to say ive never had anyone ask me whats wrong with my knees.  maybe people are less willing to ask around here? the best thing ive found is how only 2 days of not being able to move without being carried (i didnt have a wheelchar of crutches for a couple of days after i fell) means you realise that every step you do take, even with the limping, is something many others would love to be able to do.  and you see just how much people care about you. 
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem. And I'm only 20!

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »
Having gone through this makes you SO much stronger
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 01:44:27 AM »
Oh, another great benefit of my knee problems....

My sister moves into a new apartment what seems like twice a year. Because of my lousy knee, she no longer asks for my help! Thank you, Sis!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:10:17 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA