Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hurts going downhill  (Read 813 times)

Offline joellodge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
hurts going downhill
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:38:03 PM »
I read on this website that chrondromalacia patella may be overdiagnosed, and that symptoms such as pain going downhill may be due to something else.  When I am hiking, sometimes I develop a great deal of pain in my right knee when going downhill.  What else could this be other than chondro?  Is a knee strap/brace the easiest solution?

Offline Dru

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: hurts going downhill
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:59:12 PM »
I've always found that a simple tubi-grip or medi-sport bandage makes a big difference for that sort of pain.  :)

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure most knee pain causes a certain amount of discomfort when walking downhill. I can't imagine how it wouldn't!

I'm in the process of getting over a huge mixture of leg problems (irritated cartilage, compartment syndrome, weak hips, iliotibial band syndrome, and who knows what else  ::) ), and I'm bbeginning to notice that going down hills is a lot less problematic. Although I do remember that during the acute cartilage irritation, it HURT to go down hills. Now it strikes me as weak muscles that are making it difficult (rather than painful).

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:37:16 PM »
Hi,

Knee pain causes a variety of symptoms.  I have ligament problems and my pain is both with going down and up hills.  You have to learn to elevate, rest, take nsaids and ice whenever you have this pain.  You could be overdoing it on your hikes and your knees are letting you know....

There are stretching exercises you should be doing that will help balance the muscles  - check out the gym section on the first page of this site.

Good luck and if you keep having these problems you should have it checked out by a doctor.

Good luck,

Shade