Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Beck_314

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
HELP!
« on: January 14, 2003, 12:09:52 AM »
Hi, I am new here...but I really need some help/advice...

In Novemeber, I was squatting down when I felt a cramp in my knee. I was going to stand up, but before I could, my knee popped, went out to the left, and felt like it went back too. The best thing I can think of it felt like it just exploded.  It was the worst pain I have ever encountered in my life.  I went to the emgerency room and the X Ray was fine.  I was put into an embolizer and sent home with crutches.

I finally got reffered to an Ortho, and he thought at the time that my knee cap might have moved out of place.  So he sent me to PT.  PT made the pain and swelling worse.

So I went back and got an MRI last week.  He called me today and told me that the MRI was normal...which I can't believe.  My knee hurts, is still swollen, cracks, pops...it's horrible.  I am walking on it, and I walk with a limp. To me, it feels loose.  

Is this all in my head?  I feel as if that was what he was telling me.  If everything is normal with MRI, then what is wrong with me?

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 12:26:23 AM »
even if everything is all right on a MRI there could still be damage. MRI's as with most diagnostic procedures aren't perfect. If you are still worried about your knee then you really need to get a 2nd or 50th opinion (keep going to someone until someone gives you a reason and helps you).
It could be many things, when you said you felt your knee go out to the side (the entire knee or the knee cap ??) These are 2 totally different things, one is a maltracking issue and the other can be a catestropic event (the total knee one) as this can cause all sorts of ligament damage.
I know this doesn't help you much.
But welcome and here is hoping someone can help you. But I just say keep searching for an OS who will help you.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Beck_314

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 12:33:46 AM »
The whole knee shifted left and downwards.
It was awful.

About 3 years ago, I went to the same doctor and was told I had PFP Syndrome. It never felt anything like this does. I went to thearpy for it and strengthen the muscles.  So I know it wasn't my knee cap.

I just got off the phone, and I am going to go seek a second opinion. It's a work comp issue, so I'm hoping they'll cover it.  (I don't trust the Ortho I am going to now, but work comp told me that I have to go to him. He told my brother there was nothing wrong with his knee, but he had torn his ACL and meniscus)

It's good  hear that MRI's aren't 100% accurrate because I know there is something wrong.  

Thanks for the reply!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 03:46:53 PM »
I'm glad you're going for a second opinion. I think that after a certain number of days (10?), you get to choose your own doctor with WC. However, that might only be in Michigan. Also, we are allowed one second opinion (my WC has allowed me to change doctors three times, but has cut me off now).

If you have to pay for it on your own, it will still be worth it. Just keep all your receipts and a log of your travel time. It should all be reimbursed to you by WC. Hopefully your WC will be reasonable and you won't have to sue to get them to cover it. If your second opinion shows something the first doctor missed, I hope they'll cover it. If not, get an attorney!

As for MRI's, they are good at showing some things, but won't show other things at all. I know my MRI didn't show anything, but I wasn't tracking correctly and was full of scar tissue from a previous injury/surgery. Needed a LR and lots of clean-up. My last MRI didn't show much, either, but I still have pain and limited function. I am going for a fourth opinion in February. Good luck!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Beck_314

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 07:18:28 AM »
I got an okay from work comp to seek a second opinion...

anyone know any good orthopedic surgeons in Minneapolis, MN?

SL99

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 05:46:30 PM »
Check out the list of big name surgeins on the KneeGuru main site, it's under Step Ten find a surgeon.

Hope this helps and good luck with your knee  :)

Best wishes......Jo

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 02:46:21 AM »
Hi
I'm guessing that what happened with your knee is that it dislocated but popped right back into socket I have had this problem before and it occurs most when squatting, jumping, hard running, sharp turns, twists, and jerks.
  Hope this helps
                                                  Michelle
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 06:32:41 AM by Michelle_Grabert »
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

Offline Beck_314

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 04:16:09 AM »
Thanks, but it's almost 4 months later and nothing has gone away...and only gotten worse.  I'll be going to my 5th doctor tommorrow for Work Comp.  My doctor wants to send me to the University of Minnesota, but work comp is protesting...so here we go.  lol  Maybe I'll get some answers...the WC lady is excitied because she thinks this doctor is surposed to be really good...we'll see.

Thanks Though :)