Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Little ROM not arthofibrosis-please help!  (Read 617 times)

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Little ROM not arthofibrosis-please help!
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:48:43 PM »
Hi
I have a 'stuck' knee. It will bend frrely to about 60 flexion(if 0 is a straight leg) will bend to about 100 if pushed in PT(very painful). The scope I had 4 weeks ago showed NO SIGNS AT ALL of arthofibrosis. My OS thinks it's muscle spasm but my PT (after 6 visits) doesn't think it is. She thinks the whole knee is stuck and 'gummed up'. Has anyone else had ongoing flexion problems with another cause other than scar tissue. There is no caritlege damage, there are no more loose bodies but I still can't get the knee bending. I've been having PT since beg of April. What on earth could be happening?? Any advice is welcome.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Little ROM not arthofibrosis-please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 09:56:30 PM »
I would get my notes from the surgery and take them to a second opinion surgeon, preferrably one who really knows arthrofibrosis.  Because it is possible to have localized pockets of scar tissue that are not easily visualized by the arthroscope.  I can't imagine anything but a mechanical blockage causing your problems--if the problem were muscular the PT would be able to feel it--you can kind of 'bounce'  the leg and realize that more flexion would be possible if not for the patient's pain.  But with a mechanical blockage, movement comes to a solid end point with no ability to 'bounce' things and get those few extra degrees, however short-lived.

All I can think is that you have a tough case of scar tissue, one that causes the proper diagnosis to be overlooked.  A lot of answers may lie in the operative notes/photos/videos.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell