Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just a quick question:)  (Read 619 times)

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Just a quick question:)
« on: June 06, 2005, 06:41:01 PM »
Hello!
I have a quick qeustion :)I'm probably having LR in the summer as my kneecup is very tilted....Wasnt given any other options really and its to painful to not do it.Ive read different posts form people saying they tried LR and when it failed they went for TTT....Are those 2 procedures done for the same reasons then?So if the 1 fails there is sometihng else to try?Just wanted to clarify that as I have no idea what TTT is and thought it was something different.
Just wanted to know the difference really... ???
Hope eveyone a good week :)
xxx

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Just a quick question:)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »
Hi Sadface,
   The 2 procedures should be done for different reasons.  A LR will only correct patellar tilt whereas a TTT is done to correct a maltracking patella.  A lot of times an OS will do a LR to correct malalignment and it just doesn't work.  If your problem is only a tilted patella then a LR may help.  There is an excellent video about LRs at www.orthosupersite.com.  It is called History of the lateral Ret. Release and it is by Dr. Fulkerson.  I would recommend watching this before your LR.  You will have to register at the site but it is free and only takes a few moments.  I have had LRs and TTTs on both knees so let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
Patty

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »
Hi Patty.
Thanks for clearing things up for me.My problem is just a very tilted patella, nothing more so hopefull lsteral release will help!I'm in to much pain to not try it I feel. SInce you've been there can I ask if I'll be able to exrxise the way I'm now after recovery?I exercise every day - well did before it al started.I used to be very active and hope to get back to that!Also, I know it sounds silly but is it painful?I read a post by someone saying Lr was the most painful operation for them...I've only had a menisecotmy before which was alright.2 days of pain and then it gradually got better.
Thank you for your advice.
Marika
xxx

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:18:19 PM »
Hi Marika,
   I have always been able to return to all my activities after my LRs and like you I exercise every day.  The LR didn't help me but it didn't cause further problems either.  I have known some people who had a LR and it created more problems than originally existed.  I would really recommend that you watch the videl.  Most people don't have problems with a LR and have a complete recovery.  From my experience LR surgery is not painful and the rehab is easy.  But each person has different pain thresholds and rehab is different for everyone.  My advice would be to do exactly as your OS says, be patient and don't rush it!  As others have said, the stronger your legs are going into surgery, the easier the rehab.

Good luck,
Patty