Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question about my Dads knee!!  (Read 733 times)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Question about my Dads knee!!
« on: June 05, 2005, 08:37:54 AM »
Hey guys,
i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas they could share with me. On Thursday (it's now Sunday) my Dad started to complain of a sore knee, which has continued to get worse to the point where he can barely walk. His pain is in the lateral outside part of his patella. He said it is at its worse when he has been walking around at work for the day and he said the pain is horrible when he sits with his knee at a right angle. On Friday night it got so bad he went to the doctor who said he had a bad case of pre-patella bursitis, only i have read that that is caused by kneeling too much which my Dad doesn't really do. The doctor said his bursa was infected causing his knee to feel really hot. He was given some strong pain killers and some anti-biotics and told to go back if it didn't help. He has been taking his medications and no change, today he had to lie down because the pain of having it slightly bent was too much. I just find it unusual, he isn't the kind to outright show pain and i would have thought that if it was what they said the medication would have started to work by now! It's not the end of the world, i am sure it will get better, at the moment he even reckons he will go to work tomorrow. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh...also he had no direct injury to it, it just started to become sore out of nowhere...according to him.

Thanks,
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Question about my Dads knee!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 09:07:37 AM »
Hey Pip !!

Is he having any temperature ? I'm thinking of any infection or flue messing up the knee.
What kind of doc did he see ? If not an OS get him to one. Did they take any bloodtests ?
Hope he gets better soon.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 12:24:35 PM »
Hey Nettan, thanks heaps for replying...he doesn't have a temperature at all. In fact he doesn't actually think he has bursitis. He is complaining now that his achiles tendon is all of a sudden really sore as well. This could probably be from him walking differently on the leg though i suppose. I think he is going to try and get back to the doctor tomorrow. The thing is general practioners aren't really experts on knee issues, technically i suppose it could be a multitude of possibilities. I'm sure they will have a good idea though. Oh and no he didn't take any blood tests, diagnosed on his description and the feeling of his knee!!
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline pclinjury

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »
maybe ur dad spends most of the time sitting all day and not much flexing.  have yall thought about rehab exercises along with vitamin supplements?

nothing serious just a daily routine of stretching and light exercises of the knee might help.

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 03:55:15 PM »
I would suggest a possible trip to the ER just to rule out anything too serious like a clot or serious infection, especially if the doc didn't do any tests.  If hes on strong pain-killers and still in a lot of pain, thats a sign something isn;t right.  Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok!!  ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

support