Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how long until i can play sports again  (Read 679 times)

Offline DuckyLucky2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how long until i can play sports again
« on: June 04, 2005, 05:57:21 PM »
Hey,

I'm only 16 and I tore my ACL back in february and I had surgery back in march it's been about 10 almost 11 weeks since my surgery and I've had to sit out and watch my soccer team play this whole time and before I did this I started every game and usually never came out of the game so this is pretty hard for me to sit and watch so I was just wondering how long it would be before I could be back playing, will it be less time for me since I'm still young?

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: how long until i can play sports again
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 03:53:50 AM »
I have a niece that played high school soccer and she was able to play soccer after 6 months but she used an expensive custom brace.  She quite wearing it after one year from surgery.  She received a soccer scholarship to Vanderbilt and tore the ACL in her other knee.  Same thing, she played soccer after 6 months but used a custom brace.  I've seen women basketball players at a local university playing with a custom brace 6 months after surgery.  You should be on some sort of rehab program to ensure that you have strengthened the muscles around your knee.  I have a custom brace for skiing and was skiing mostly intermediate and easy runs 6 months after surgery.

schuss

Offline DuckyLucky2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 04:56:56 AM »
I've been doing rehab and going to physical therapy 3 times a week and the days that i don't have it I go to the gym and work out on my own. The doctor says I'm doing really well and I should be able to start running soon I go back and see him in a couple days but the last time I asked him when I would be able to play again he said maybe at the end of july which would be about 4 months after surgery so that's what I'm working for because I'm already missing my teams state soccer tournament which is the most important tournament we go to so I just want to get back to playing I'm getting frustrated sitting out.

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 07:46:32 AM »
It sounds like you're doing all the right things.  I know how frustrating it is to not be able to play, especially since you were a starter.  Keep your chin up.  Soccer requires a different kind of brace so that you won't injure others.  Is your doctor thinking of getting a brace for you?

Offline DuckyLucky2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 06:00:26 PM »
I'm not sure if my doctor is going to make me wear a brace or not. Both of my coaches have torn their ACL's and they didn't have to wear a brace but I don't know if I will have to or not I'll probably ask him that next time I see him.

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 08:55:18 PM »
Whether you wear a brace or not depends on how soon you want to come back and play sports.  I haven't seen anyone playing sports within 6 months of their ACL reconstruction without a brace.  It just might be that you might have 9 months or so until soccer starts.  That would probably be sufficient time since you're so young.

Did you have the patellar graft?  If so, then was it from the same knee?  I know that if the graft was from the other knee than your recovery takes less time.  After surgery, the ACL deteriorates for a couple of weeks while it establishes a blood supply.  It's at its weakest around 2-3 weeks after surgery.  Then it starts getting stronger.  The key element is to allow it to get stronger while your muscles are getting stronger.  While you can improve your muscular strength on your schedule, I think the ACL has its own schedule for getting stronger.

schuss