Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to measure quad/hamstring imbalance?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline footballer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How to measure quad/hamstring imbalance?
« on: June 03, 2005, 06:25:53 PM »
My knee is fine now except for the clicking below the knee cap every time its straightened, then bent with weight and I've heard this maybe due to muscle imbalance.  How do I make sure the ratio of strength between my quads and hams are a good ratio?

I read somewhere that you can use the leg extension machine to measure the heaviest weight you can lift and the same with the hamstring curls to measure its strength and then divide the 2, but that seems absolutely ridiculous!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: How to measure quad/hamstring imbalance?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:14:12 PM »
not sure how you measure it, but my PT says I have alot of imbalance and tells me to avoid any movements that cause the clicking, jumping sensation or pain. She teels me to keep doing the strengthening(inner quads in my case) but not cause irritation by repeatedly aggravating the kneecap stuff.

Maybe you need to see a PT?

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline footballer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »
Hi, thanks for your response.  The whole system in England is such a mess and unless you play for a club or are rich, the chances of getting a good physio is low.  The NHS gave me the 'goodbye' after realising I was doing well enough for my knee not to cause any pain so I'm like on my own now.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 10:43:55 PM »
Hi there again.

I would search the net for physio exercises, or look for a good 'knee workout book'. I have 'treat your own knees' and 'the knee crisis handbook' but I imagine the exercises will be a little basic for you. Do you do 'inner quads' exercises? This muscle is responsible for locking the leg straight, so if you sit on the floor with your leg out in front and push the knee into the floor so as to hyperextend the knee, thats the inner quad working. It's easier to isolate with a rolled up towel under the knee so you use the inner quad to staighten the leg. When I do this I can feel the muscles firing at different times. I am told strenghthening the inner quads will help. Also, the thing which is pulling on my kneecap most is a quad/hamstring problem. When you sit on the floor and slide your heel towards you, the hamstrings are working and the quads are relaxed. When you straighten the leg, the quads are working and the hamstrings relaxed(basic stuff). What is happening in my case is that when I bend, the quads are firing too, pulling the kneecap out of line a little and causing some discomfort and pain. If this is happening to you you will be able to see the quads near the kneecap getting tight and will find it very difficult to relax the quads at, say, 90 flexion.

I agree the NHS is a trifle dismissive as soon as you appear to be reasonable. Perhaps one visit to a sports physio would be worth the money, just to give you some targeted exercises to do and thier assessment of your muscle balance. It would need to be someone good with knees and with lots of sports experience though, for them to be of help in one session. It must be frustrating to be so 'nearly' better but at a loss ofor how to go the last stretch. Let me know what you decide to do
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline footballer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
Firstly thanks for your help and kind words, you sound like a very nice and helpful person. 

I would like to see a sports physio but they seem so expensive.  After the amount of money my parents have forked out for me on things regarding my knee, I don't want to ask for anymore and I've just graduated and jobless.  I might just try and work for a longer time period in my own physio and continue the exercises for say a month longer than when I think I'm ready, and then start doing football related stuff like plyometrics.

support