Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Still fighting with OS...is it possible that he could be this dumb??  (Read 1519 times)

Offline tanyasparks

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • My Knees Suck!!!!
Hello all,

Just an update.  I saw the os today and addressed the pain that I'm still having with my knee.  Last night before going to bed, I was sitting on the couch watching tv.  When I went to get up, my knee locked!  I'm not sure if it was my knee cap or if it was something else.  I had sharp pain when I tried to straighten it and was unsuccessful.  I sat there and wiggled it until it gave a little pop and ta-da!  It unlocked.  I told my OS today what happened and that I was having alot of pain still with range of motion and just generalized pain around the medial side of my kneecap.  He just kept saying, "The MRI didn't show anything!  I can't do surgery without a positive MRI!"  Well first of all, I'm the last one that wants surgery.  But my knee hurts!  And after 6 weeks, it still hurts and swells!!  He doesn't have to do surgery on me.  I just want some answers and some help figuring out what is wrong with me!!!  I was totally disgusted.  He ordered me to have 3 more weeks of PT and then another recheck!!  He said that because my quad muscles were not that strong, that is why my knee locks up!  Anyone know if this is true??  I'm more than willing to go the PT route and try some strength exercises.  But I just don't want to lock up again.  I talked to the PT during scheduling and he said that he would bet money that I have a meniscus tear!  Why can't this doctor see this??  What is wrong with him!!  Workers comp says they will not pay for second opinion.  If I have to, I will get a second opinion, pay for it myself, and then see them in court!  I'm at my witts end!!  HELP!!!!!!!

Tanya
25yrs. old
Left Knee LR in 1997
Right Knee Grade 3 MCL Tear 4/15/05
Now experiencing Locking in Rt. knee, Kneecap dislocating.
Finished with the pt and still no better
LR and Chondroplasty surgery suggested. 
Second opinion OS appt. went bust!
Waiting to see first OS for surgery.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Still fighting with OS...is it possible that he could be this dumb??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 06:56:31 AM »
Looks like a second opinion by another OS would be great for you. Or why not make your PT write a note for your doc about what she thinks.MRI are pretty reliable but not 100%.
He can perform a diagnostic arthroscopy on you instead if he not knows.
Wish you the best !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline downtownsjb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:20:33 AM »
I totally agree on a second opinion!  It does sound like a meniscus tear, I think the Dr should be listening to your symptoms.  I seriously doubt he HAS to have a postive MRI before surgery!  The OS that did husbands surgery didn't do any test, just went off of what hubby told them.  I know it stinks to get a second opioion but for your knee, it is totally worth.  The tear could get worse by waiting.

Good Luck!

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »
Tanya,

Hi, I agree with everyone else -  you need to get a second opinion. 

A patient is definately entitled to know what is causing their knee to lock.  How come your doctor has not called for other tests like a CT scan or a bone scan? 

Sounds like disinterest to me - I have seen this several times myself and found it a very unsettling feeling.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 11:40:26 AM »
Hi,

I think you have more trust in your PT than in your doc, but I want to say a PT can't diagnose someone, it's only a thought you have a meniscus tear. Like nurses can't diagnose patients either, no matter what knowledge they have. Secondly I also do think you should go for a second opinion, or ask for more diagnostic tools,. You only had an MRI? Ask for a CTscan (3D scans are the best!)! MRIs are never 100% accurate. But your Dr wants proof you have something wrong before he does surgery, I agree with that HOWEVER he can do a diagnostic scope, surely because you have these severe ungoing symptoms!

I work in an ER and have worked on orthopaedics 6 years and have seen several people who have been diagnosed by themselves, family memebers or even by the internet. It's only information!

I would suggest you get a second opinion!!!

Good luck!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »
Tanya!
I am in the SAME boat as you! My knee locks about once or twice a month now and my OS says its kneecap stuff. My MRI came back clear too with the exception of showing a subluxed kneecap and some mild grade 2 chondro. He said I need to build up my quads and that there was nothing else wrong. Mind you, for the 8 months before my MRI he was CONVINCED, absolutly convinced that my ACL was torn..and he made me choose which graft I want and everything. Then the MRI comes back and it shows ACL intact and he forgets about it.

So I go to PT, she says that grade 2 chondro would not cause excessive locking like I have, and my quads are not the problem because they are mighty strong. She says my OS (and yours) should treat the symptoms, not the [ictures. Time for you to get a new OS!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Run262

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:34:58 PM »
Just dropping off my two cents....

My OS told me that MRI's aren't 100% accurate for meniscus tears and in fact, he's encountered his share of negative MRI's only to discovery upon a diagnostic scope (because the patient kept complaining of locking - sound familiar?) a meniscus tear.

My advice goes along with the others....get a second opinion...get the films not just the report and take them to someone else. Is your OS going off the report? or is he reviewing the films himself? Makes a difference.

2/04 - Diagnostic scope suspected meniscus tear - normal healthy joint found. L knee
4/04 - cortisone shot L knee - two weeks later, the portal scar tissue during re-hab broke up! All is good!
8/11 - Lateral meniscus radial tear - scope - L knee

Offline tanyasparks

• Regular Poster
  • My Knees Suck!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 06:18:33 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks for the replies.  To answer some questions.  The OS viewed the MRI himself.  I have never seen or heard anything about a report.  He has never asked for any kind of other test.  I know that the PT is not a doctor but I'm also sure that after 16yrs. in the business, he has seen an array of different knee problems.  Not that he knows more than the doc,  just that he has taken alot more time and seen me many more times than the doc!  It seems that, like Shade said, disinterest.  When I'm in his office, he seems completely uninterested in me or anything about my knee!  I just feel like saying, "Hey, you are being paid to care!" But in the end, I'm sure that loosing it completely will do absolutely no good.  I'm going to continue the PT for now and start trying to find another OS to see.  Not sure what else to do. 

Thanks
Tanya
25yrs. old
Left Knee LR in 1997
Right Knee Grade 3 MCL Tear 4/15/05
Now experiencing Locking in Rt. knee, Kneecap dislocating.
Finished with the pt and still no better
LR and Chondroplasty surgery suggested. 
Second opinion OS appt. went bust!
Waiting to see first OS for surgery.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 06:23:08 PM »
Great Tanya !!
You are doing the right thing. Let us all know how things goes, please.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jillo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 11:21:29 PM »
I had a negative MRI and a huge mesnicus tear.  My OS said MRIs are about 85% accurate but some ares of the knee are harder to see (like the posterior part where my tear was).  He actually diagnosed the problem before I had the MRI and did surgery despite the fact it showed nothing.  I kind of wonder why I had the MRI to be honest!

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 03:58:16 AM »
Im not sure of your exact injury, but to me the locking-up sounds much like a meniscus tear, and (correct me if Im wrong here) I think the meniscus often tears when there is an injury to the mcl.  Sending you back to PT might not be so dumb on the part of your doc, but saying he needs a positive MRI is.  Their are some tears that can repair themselves overtime, but your doc seems a bit foolish to think everything shows up on an MRI.  As annoying as it is if I were you Id just work at PT as hard as you can, give yourself a little more time, and if your still not getting good answers from your OS then seek out a second opionion.  Good luck and take care.  ~Patti 
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

support