Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Still limping around 9 weeks post op ACL Reconstruction  (Read 6697 times)

Offline DaisyRoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Still limping around 9 weeks post op ACL Reconstruction
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:05 AM »
Hi there,
I am new to the board, had ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus repair on 3/30/05, so am 9 weeks post op.  Go to pt 1-2 times a week and doing strengthening exercises plus 40 minutes on the bike or walking about a mile a day.  I'm discouraged because even though I can get my leg straight both in pt and at home doing exercises, my gait is off when I walk and I have a very noticeable limp.  I also have swelling every day.  My doctor has said this is normal and to try not to get discouraged.  He reminded me that it is  9 months for full recovery -- I guess I hadn't figured it would go on that long (I've never had any kind of surgery before).  My pt is not as encouraging and keeps giving more exercises to do.  I am frustrated, discouraged, and wondering if I will EVER get my quad strength back and get rid of my limp.  Sometimes I feel like crying, wondering why I ever went through with this surgery.  I led a very active life with running, skiing, and tennis, so I know that was the deciding factor when my doctor told me that I would most likely never be able to do those activities again without the surgery.  Does anyone have any encouraging words for me?  This has, by far, been one of the hardest things I've ever been through.   thank you!

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Still limping around 9 weeks post op ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »
Hi there. Welcome to the board. I have not had ACL recon or meniscus repair, but have had 3 scopes on my knee, with the most recent being a lateral release, and lost a tremenous amount of my quads. Unfortunately it does not take long for it to go away, but seems to take forever to come back. It will come back though, it will take hard work and diligence with PT on your part, and it sounds like you are doing that!  :)  I know it is hard, but try to be patient and rest assured that it will come back. When i had my first surgery, it was more or less a diagnostic scope so was back in the gym within a couple days, but with my LR i lost ALOT of my quads, and it was so hard to get it back. My best advice is to keep up the work with your PT and listen to your OS. Problems with gait are quite common after having a knee injury and losing quad strength, and it can sometimes take some training to get that gait back to normal. My PT would watch me walk from one end of the gym to the other and walk alongside me telling me what he was seeing, and what i had to work on. Once the strength starts to come back, things will start to return to normal. I know it is hard, but work hard, and it will all pay off as you will have a strong knee again!! Keep us posted on how things are going. Best of luck with everything,
Leah  :D
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Still limping around 9 weeks post op ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:47:22 AM »
Hey there Leah,

I hear you loud and clear... and Im only 4 and a half weeks post ACL reconstruction.  I knew it was a long rehab, but until you experience the frustration I dont think you know how bad it is.... I still cant even do a striaght leg raise.. I have a 15 degree lag!!  I cant lift my heal off the bed by myself either.  And.... Im still on the crutches!!  I lost so much muscle it isnt funny.... But, what I think that we have to do is remind ourselves that this will take time, and it will also take persistence.  To make matters worse, I fell on some stairs as well..... spent 4 days crying over that cos I thought I'd damaged the graft (I didnt, just damaged my confidence)  You sound like me.... I lead a very active lifestyle before I did this injury and it has really slowed me down and frustrated me.  Im also feircely indepenant so needing help to do just about everything has also driven me batty.  I keep making jokes about my quad muscle packing its bags and leaving through the surgical incision as soon as the  OS cut it open, and how he replaced my Quad with a brick, or a chunk of lead.... it is the best way to describe my experience.   

Just remember that you are only 9 weeks post op.... it is still very early days for you.  I have a friend that had her reco in October last year and she's only just lost her evident limp now, and even then, when she has a long day at work, or gets tired.... the limp returns.  Keep up your exercises no matter how lame they feel and keep your chin up.  You will be getting these different exercises to help mix it up... my PT gave me heaps of new ones because he could see I was bored to tears with the same old ones all the time.   

We have good knee days and bad knee days..... remember there are others of us going through the same thing... you arent alone.....

Alla   
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06