Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help! i am 15 yr old softball pitcherand i just had knee surgery and need advise  (Read 1023 times)

Offline KiTtyCaT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am 15, the varsity pitcher for my high school team and a top level travel ball  team. I hurt myself pitching this spring. My doctor say I have Osteochondritis Dissecans  and he had to perform surgery right under my kneecap to replace a small piece that had become disconnected. He grafted the piece back on 6 weeks ago and I am in a leg brace and on crutches. He is not being real clear to me or my mom about when I can play volleyball or pitch again. He says my injury is uncommon. I just want to cry. Has anybody had this surgery before? Will my knee ever be 100% again?  :'(

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Hey, Im not too sure about your injury so i cant really give you any advice on that.
Bust as for your doctor, if your doctor cannot even ballpark it for you when you'll be able to play again then get a second opinion, or even ask your PT. I know I listen to the guidelines my PT gives me more thanwhat my OS says because she sees me twice a week...not him! Anyways, hope you get some answer!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline KiTtyCaT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
He says maybe late fall, maybe winter, maybe spring. I am worried because he is not sure. I am not so sure he thinks my knee can withstand the pressure a pitcher or volleyball player puts on it. He hasnt said that but he seems so unsure about a lot of stuff about my knee.   I mean I see people tear their ACL and try to play again only to re injure themselves real soon because they are never the same again. I worry about my injury because it involves the bone right under my knee cap.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
If you OS has doubts about you heading back to sports I think its only right that he tells you. I think it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion from another OS in your area.

Like I said, are you going to PT? He/She would be another good one to ask
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
He might just be evasive about it because he doesn;t know and doesn;t want to give you incorrect info.  My doc always tells me the best and the worst outcome of something hes going to try, and hes explinations sometimes leave me a bit confused.  I am not familiar with your specific problem, but are you going to PT?  Phsical therapists can sometimes be helpful knowing what you may or may not be able to do in the future because they deal specifically with your rehab.  I hope everything turns out well!!  Good luck ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline KiTtyCaT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks, I am glad to know other people are confused by what their doctor tells them too. It makes me feel a lot less stupid. I will ask my PT on Friday. What did you have done to your knee?