Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 4864 times)

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Not sure what to do
« on: January 10, 2003, 07:12:29 AM »
Hi everyone. I injured my knee a little over 2 years ago, I was squatting down to get something at work and I hit it on a built in floor safe . Needless to say my knee paid the price I have had 2 arthoscopic knee surgeries so far. But my pain isn't any better it has gotten worse. I have seen 4 different OS's in the last 2yrs trying to find one that will help me ease the pain. The first Arthoscope found chondromalacia gradeII and torn medial meniscius, the second Arthoscope they did a Plica resection. I have had coritizone injections, pt, knee brace, limitations as to what I can do, and today I find out that I have a large Bakers cyst that my OS refuses to do anything with. He told me that my options are pretty much slim to none. And that about the only thing left would be total knee replacement but I'm to young for that concedering I'm only 30. Any suggestion? I would greatly appreciate them.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 09:38:13 PM »
Wow! You've been through a lot. It's so frustrating when you have pain and everyone tells you there is nothing that can be done. I'd go to another OS. Do some research and find a really "top" one in your area. Some people on this board have been to four or five OS's before they found someone who could help them. Don't give up! Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 08:30:57 AM »
Hi Janet,
I took your advice. I am going to see another OS later this month he is in the top hospital in Iowa. I couldn't get my current OS to refer me but my general doctor did so my insurance would cover the cost. Thank you for your prompt reply I really appreciate it. I hope I have better news from him. I'll let you know.

Offline Mr_C

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 02:05:56 PM »
I appreciate that this reply is some time after you were going to Iowa. Could you please give me an update on your current situation and what the OS recommended. The reason for this is that I have had a bakers cyst surgically removed and I am still in  rehabilitation. I was surprised that a full knee replacement was recommended so early because here in the UK they are not very successfull. If the cyst was removed surgically I would be interested in more details and you have not had surgery yet I might be able to answer some concerns you may have.
Cheers Andy.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 06:42:31 PM »
Oh boy, first you just simply hit your knee and next thing they are talking a TKR, I cant believe it. A TKR at 30 sounds awfully drastic. Please keep us up to date. Hope things start getting better for you, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 08:09:44 PM »
Well I seen the doctors in Iowa City they have decided not to remove the cyct they said that the cyst would most likely return and do to the fact that I have alot of scar tissue in my knee from the first 2 surgeries they feel that it would only make it worse. They also feel that I am now at grade III chondromalacia set me up with physical therapy once again and sent me home with a tens unit and another knee brace. They told me that I am looking at knee replacement but they are trying to keep me from needing it to soon. So that is where I stand. :D I guess I should say one thing though it wasn't so much the bump on the knee it was the force of my body going down and my knee being pushed up that caused the damage I didn't realize how much damage that could be done by a "bump" on the knee either but I am realizing it now.

Offline Mr_C

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 11:53:15 PM »
Well otstone I dont know if you have had good news or bad :-/

Can you explain what is meant by grade III chondromalacia??
To try and help joint mobility have you tried any natural products such as glucosamine and chondroitin, both these products I have found quite helpful.

In relation to the fact that your OS refused to remove the cyst please ensure that it does not rupture and you end up with further complications like I did. In my case the cyst ruptured and when the surgeon finally operated he had to scrape it off from around various guiders, nerves and arteries as it had spread half way up my thigh and half way down my calf. I am still unsure if this has resolved my problem as my knee is still swollen.

All the best with the physio!!

Andy- in the cold and wet UK

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 01:45:31 AM »
Hey there Andy, well chondro grade III is softening of the cartiledge under the kneecap. About all my doctors have told me is eventually I will not have any cartiledge left and it will be bone on bone there is only 4 grades to it and I am at the 3rd one. When I first learned about it I was at grade 2 and that was just a year ago so I guess it isn't looking really good at this point. As for the cyst mine has ruptured once already and has grown back even larger than before so I really appreciate the new information you have passed on to me I will definitely be asking my new OS about this I have had enough with this I don't need anything added into it. In fact that is why my general doctor sent me to Iowa City because of the size of the cyct and the fact the first one had ruptured already. I really hope your knee turns out ok my prayers are with you. Once again thanks for your help.
P.S. I hadn't heard about those suppliments but I will look into it I have to talk to my nuerologist to see what I can take thanks alot all your info in greatly appreciated. :)

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 04:19:19 AM »
Hi Andy

Just wondered about the glucosamine and chondroitin: how many mgs/day and for how long have you been taking them?

I started them just about a month ago.

Thanks a lot! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 12:22:29 PM »
Think of a Baker's Cyst as a symptom rather than a diagnosis.  You see, a problematic knee 'cries' and makes more fluid than normal.  The fluid is also more viscous and can contain destructive enzymes, unlike the normal lubricating fluid. When the fluid pressure builds up, it forces its way out of a defect in the containing structures of the knee, round at the back.  This fluid-filled bag is the cyst, and it seems like a new problem, but in fact it is saying to you that the fluid pressure is too great in the knee in general, due very often to the type of joint surface destruction you describe.
The cyst can be surgically treated, but the more common approach it to try and tackle the general internal swelling inside the knee by:
- diet
- avoiding stressing the knee with too  much or inappropriate exercise
- icing if it gets acutely bad
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets
- weight loss
- maybe a joint washout
- the sort of nutritional supplements you are discussing
Some surgeons would then be looking at trying to restore the joint surface integrity with procedures such as microfracture, abrasion arthroplasty etc.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2003, 05:37:16 PM »
Just thought I'd chime in with my experience. Like "bumping" your knee and never recovering, I slipped on a wet floor. I went down in a hurdle position, with my left leg under and behind. I was able to get up, but knew something was wrong. As I was going down the stairs to get to my car to go to the hospital (I was at work), something popped and I had excrutiating pain. Turns out I had torn my quad tendon. Three surgeries and four years later, I am told there is nothing else they can do and I will always have limitations and pain. Who ever thought a little fall would cause this many problems? I'll never again laugh at those commercials: "Injured in a slip a fall? Call this attorney..."

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2003, 07:29:23 PM »
Boy everyone here is GREAT! I really do appreciate all the advice you are giving me it is a new direction I can look towards and it is something I can talk with my OS about. Right now he is trying to build up my quads to get my streghtenth back and my physio is trying hard not to disturb my knee while doing it. :-/
Now if I could just bother you guys for a couple more questions:
It seems like since I started PT my knee wants to give out all the time on me and it burns is this normal?
And next one is:
Has anyone ever had a good or bad experience with a tens unit? Would like to know, my OS prescibed one to me for pain management while I'm at home and I have a seizure disorder I know this sends signals to the brain so I need to know all storys. I have been waiting to hear from my neurologist about using it but thought I'd ask you guys about any experiences you might have had.

Offline Mr_C

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 12:12:08 PM »
Hi all.

Otstone, regarding the suppliments I mentioned of Glucosamine and chondroitin the following may be of help to you. I purchase these from a company called Healthspan who are based in Guernsey.  I appreciate that you will be able to purchase them nearer to home but it may be worth having a look on their web site which is www.healthspan.co.uk

There you will get information on their products, send for a brochure and I beleive order products.

Just for info and for your info Susan I am taking glucosamine 500mg plus 100mg of chondroitin.  I first started taking them 2 years ago to help me with my arthritis in my hips. I found that after a couple of months there was an improvement.  I noticed less pain and improvement in my mobility. I must stress that they are sometning that you must take regularly to get the benefit rather then when you are having a bad day.

Let me know how useful this is.

all the best
Andy  

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 06:31:03 PM »
It's interesting that right now, there are so many people on this board asking about e-stim and TENS units. Try looking at some of the other threads to get some more answers. I have used both. The TENS was quite helpful following surgery. I have mixed reactions to the e-stim.

Janet

Offline otstone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2003, 06:16:52 AM »
Thanks Andy I have an upcoming appointment with my neurologist I will take in the information about the supplements you informed me about to see what he recommends for me I have so many other medications I take that I really have to watch what I mix with them.
Thank you for the web address that helped me alot too, I was able to go through them and print them out so I can take them in to him so he can also see what I am talking about(sometimes I have a hard time finding the right words :) )

Janet thank you for sharing your experience with the TENS unit I've been trying to find out anything I can about it the first couple weeks when I used it , I thought it was great, it helped alot with the pain, then the other day I put it on and all of a sudden I got a really bad shock from it. I took it off right away and then  later that night I thought I'd try it again and about 5 minutes into it , it did it again. So I was just wondering if this is normal or if I was doing something wrong?

support