Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tore ACL Twice?  (Read 18208 times)

Offline Dramarama21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tore ACL Twice?
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:12:25 PM »
I had a question for all of you who have had to go through ACL reconstruction, only to tear your ACL again. How did you guys tear your ACL a second time? Was it when you went back to sports or was it pushing too hard during rehabilitation? I just ask because I am having my ACL surgery this summer : ) Also, if you had to have a second reconstruction, can the ACL ever be as strong?

Thanks, Christina :)
Partial ACL tear Oct. 2003 (Playing soccer)
ACL Reconstruction Aug 18th, 2005

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Tore ACL Twice?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 05:40:33 PM »
Hey Christina-

I'm a professional soccer player and I have torn my ACL twice among other things.  I have a very, very aggressive surgeon so for the second time around my rehab was greatly accelerated and I was able to return to play in 3.5 months.  When I tore mine the secomd time, it was a purely contact injury which not only tore my ACL but shattered the tibial shell of my Townsend Premier brace. 

I would look very closely at the mechanism of your second tear, if it was contact normally your ACL would have torn regardless.  If it was non-contact it's time to look closer at other factors such as hamstring strength and knee alignment.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 05:44:52 AM »
Hi,

I just had my second ACL reconstruction on 5/11/05.  My first was in June 2001.  I started skiing on it about 6 months later in January 2002 but took it real easy.  I didn't ski on anything that would cause me to fall.  Since I'm an expert skier, I could ski on easy expert runs but mostly intermediate runs. 

In my second year after ACL surgery, I only skied about 12 days and didn't seem to have any problems but noticed some looseness in my knee but only while skiing.

In my third year after ACL reconstruction, I fell hard into a mogul and broke a rib in two places.  Thinking that I only bruised my ribs, I continued skiing but fell again and my broken rib punctured my right lung.  Then the lung collapsed and I got a Flight for Life helicopter ride from Winter Park to St Anthony's Hospital in Denver.  I don't recall any problems with my knee.

I noticed some looseness this past year.  It got looser and looser.  Then I felt a pop while skiing.  I experienced a couple more pops then really wrenched my knee while playing tennis.  I had really torn my meniscus and my OS told me that my ACL wasn't working well enough for skiing.  I then asked him to fix this and he did.

I think I was a little too aggressive in my rehab after the first surgery and this was the cause my subsequent knee problems.  Going skiing 6 months after ACL reconstruction was a little too soon especially considering that I was 51.  Now, I'm 55 and intend be very careful with my rehab.

schuss

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:28:28 PM »
schuss,

Could you share with us what type of acl recon you had the first go round?  I am also a 51 yr old recon pt. trying to return to a sport and had an autopatellar recon.  At close to seven months post-op, I have returned to the racquetball court, but am playing cautiously for now.  I was hoping to kick up my game in just another two months, but your post now has me concerned.  Thanks for info you can supply on your acl recon method.
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 11:50:17 PM »
Hi,

My first ACL surgery (June 2001) was a patellar tendon graft from the left knee for my left knee.  My rehab seemed to going well.

I started skiing aftea little more than six months in January 2002.  The physician had me get a custom brace since I insisted on skiing that season.  I didn't ski hard stuff and never fell down.  I knew that I challenged the knee on some of the easy expert runs, though.  I think that I should have been more disciplined in lifting weights to strengthen the muscles around the knee.  I also should have paced my rehab to ski later.  After that first year, I didn't wear my custom brace.

My second ACL surgery (May 11, 2005) on my left knee was a patellar tendon graft from the right knee.  The first thing that I've noticed is how quickly I was able to get back on my feet since the graft was from the other knee.  Clearly, my leg muscles didn't atrophy near as much.  I intend to ski easy runs in January or February, 8-9 months after surgery.  Ii doubt that I'll be skiing any double black diamonds marked ET (extreme terrain) any more.  From now on,  I will only ski with my custom brace and I've already had it refitted.  It wouldn't surprise me that it should be refitted in 6 months.

schuss

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:54:11 AM »
schuss

Thanks for the history of your acl recons.  I'm afraid I can't wear a functional brace on operative knee, because I am already wearing one on an old never repaired acl and lcl torn knee and two braces are a disaster.  That's why I had to have this acl repaired.  I guess I will just continue to proceed with caution on the racquetball court.  Good thing is it is generally a noncontact sport.  I really appreciate your sharing your experience; it will help me to remember to keep playing more with my brain and less reliance on movement in racquetball until I feel total confidence in the graft. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.