Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Football injury  (Read 981 times)

Offline Chelabi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Football injury
« on: June 02, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »
I took a knock last night playing football. Basically with my right leg outstretched (but not totally straight) I took a knock to the inside of my knee, pushing it outwards momentarily.

I sat out the rest of the game, as it was painful to fully bend my knee after that, and the area to the inside of my knee was very tender to touch.  I decided to sleep and see how it felt next day.

Well next day, and my knee is fine as long as I don't move it. There is no visible bruising and no apparent swelling. Just hurts when the knee is either twisted or the joint is bent.

Anyone know what is likely to be the problem - I will be trying to get to my doctors over the weekend, but in the meantime it would be nice to know whether I'm likely to do myself further damage hobbling around the flat. I'll try and spend much of my time with my leg straight and up on the sofa, but as soon as I get a lift to the docs I'll get it looked at.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Football injury
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »
Try take it easy and RICE (rest,ice,compression and elevate) until you can see a doc.
Don't know what can be wrong can be so that it's only bruised, could be something else.
Wish you luck !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tony38

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:09:41 AM »
While I was competing in wrestling 15 years ago, my knee was pushed from the outside while my foot was planted.
I felt a couple of snaps and the knee loosened up with instant pain/swelling.
I hobbled around to get home, tried to minimize moving and somehow managed to get by. 
A couple of days later in the OS clinic after xrays, he did several tests to the knee which involved tugging, pivoting and bending the knee and calf feeling for knee mobility and stability.
I guess he was from some country in the med and tells me with a thick heavy accent "the knee is screwed up!"
I said it sure looks and feels like it.   
Good thing he happens to have impeccable handwriting and I read that I sprained both the LCL and MCL.
The cruciate ligaments were fine from his tests. Xrays showed no bone damage.
There are sections below about these ligaments which you might want to visit.
Anyway, I had a knee immobilizer with crutches for several weeks, RICE for pain and swelling along with non prescription anti inflamatory pain meds.
I was back in the game but that happened at least 6 months later. 
Do make sure your OS gives you a clear understanding of your injury when you see your doc. 

Take care and good luck on your healing.

Jan 23/05 fractured left patella, ruptured quad tendon and both collateral ligaments.
Jan 24/05 ORIF 2 wires with 4 pins.
Jan 24-May 5 leg cast/immobilized, no PT.
May 6 finally released for PT, ROM 0-32.
Jun/05 ROM 0-77.

Offline Chelabi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 06:56:59 AM »
I'm hoping that the lack of bruising and swelling might suggest my injury is less serious.  Very bad timing though, I was due to play in a tournament in Blackpool in just over a weeks time.....looks like I'll become a coach for the team now.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 07:32:28 AM »
Just a word of warning.... .just because there is no swelling and brusing doesnt mean that it isnt serious.  I had Drs say that I'd not done any serious damage to my knee because it didnt swell after I slipped on a floor (whole playing netball) and felt a pop on the outside of my knee.  My PT looked at it and said that he thought it wasnt serious because of the lack of swelling.  It never got better and 5 months later I was diagnosed with a torn ACL and had to have a knee reconstruction from that same injury....

I dont want to scare you, and you should be guided by your Drs but just be careful.. everyones knee is different and we all react differently to injury.

Alla   
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06