Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: acl reconstruction  (Read 636 times)

Offline samijoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl reconstruction
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:33:10 PM »
how long will it take to return back to work after a ACL reconstruction?

Offline kezza

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 06:05:23 PM »
It depends on what job you do. :)  If you're on your feet alot doing a physical job then it could be a while. If you've got a desk job then there's no reason why you shouldn't go back fairly quickly. The best advice I can give is you'll know yourself when you're ready (but be realistic, don't try rushing back).

HTH

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »
Ask your surgeon, they will be able to give you the most realistic answer based on your circumstances.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:00:01 AM »
Talk to your OS..... I went back after 3 weeks to my job, but Im restricted to desk duties.  There is no way I could do my field work, Im nowhere near strong enough to do it.  My physio was shocked I went back so soon, and so were my workmates... we've had others who've had recos and they've taken 6 weeks off.  The only problem is if you go back full time you cut into time that you could use for physio and exercises to get your strength back.  I've been working half days at work and half from home so I can get a few sessions of exercises in without feeling embarrassed. 

Like has already been said: you'll know when you are able, and dont push it too hard.... the rehab is a slow process (for me anyway).

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 09:11:45 PM »
My second ACL surgery was 5/11/05, about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I have a desk job so I went back after 2 1/2 weeks.  This is my second ACL reconstruction on my left knee and the patellar graft was taken from the right knee.  I was on my feet much sooner than the first time when the patellar graft was taken from my left knee.  6 weeks before going back to work seems too long considering that my rehab program wants me up and about as much as I can stand, strengthening the muscles around the knee, and extending the range of motion.  I had excruciating pain in my lower shin and ankle that I did not have after the first surgery.  Because of this pain, I should have waited another week to go back to work.

Yesterday I developed a kidney stone yesterday morning and I am back on pain medication to wait for the stone to pass.

schuss