Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Allograft Transplant  (Read 1947 times)

Offline OSUeddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Allograft Transplant
« on: June 01, 2005, 04:14:59 PM »
Scheduled to have a meniscus allograft transplant in a few weeks.  If you have had this surgery please let me know what to expect.  Anxious about this procedure but after being on wc for a year I am past ready.

Tks

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: Meniscus Allograft Transplant
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:29:52 PM »
I had a medial meniscus transplant in March of 2001 and a lateral mensicus transplant in July of 2001. It is a long rehab, about 6-8 weeks non weight bearing on crutches, and then 6-8 more weeks on crutches for partial weight bearing. I was on crutches for a toal of 14 weeks after each surgery. The rehab goes slow because you are only allowed limited motion for a while, but progress slowly to full motion. Pool therapy helps so much with rehab, becuase when you are paritial weightbearing you can get in the pool and walk and get it moving, (I had to wear a brace in the pool).

After all of that I was able to get back to a semi normal life, no impact activites only, but my pain was pretty much gone. I have since had problems with my medial transplant, I had some removed due to a tear and it ahs scrunk in size, so I wear an unloader brace all of the time. But I am glad I did it.

If you have specific questions let me know, I would be happy to answer them.

Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,† LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline OSUeddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »
MELANIE:

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE.† I AM REALLY NERVOUS ABOUT THIS SURGERY BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN OFF WORK FOR A YEAR AND AM ANXIOUS TO GET BACK TO A "NORMAL" LIFE.† I HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T MIND.

1)† DID YOU GET TO COME HOME THE SAME DAY OR WERE YOU KEPT FOR A FEW DAYS?

2)† WHAT TYPE OF EQUIPMENT DID YOU GO HOME WITH (CPM, ICE EQUIP, STOCKINGS, ETC)?

3)  HOW SOON DID YOU START PT?  HOW OFTEN DID YOU GO FOR PT AND FOR WHAT LENGTH OF TIME?

3)  HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE PAIN OF TRANSPLANT IN COMPARISON WITH WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED AT OTHER TIMES SUCH AS AT THE TIME OF INJURY AND WITH OTHER SURGERIES?

3)† WHAT DID YOUR OS RECOMMEND AS FAR AS KNEELING, SQUATTING, ETC?† MY OS TOLD ME THAT I MIGHT NEED A DESK JOB TO PREVENT FURTHER DAMAGE TO MY KNEE, I WORK IN HEATING AND AIR AND AM FREQUENTLY UP AND DOWN AND I DO A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF KNEELING.† MY SITUATION IS A LITTLE COMPLICATED BECAUSE THIS IS A WC INJURY.

AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

OSUeddy

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:26 PM »
OSUeddy,

I am happy to answer your questions.

1)  DID YOU GET TO COME HOME THE SAME DAY OR WERE YOU KEPT FOR A FEW DAYS?
My OS said it was an overnight stay, but I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights with both surgeries. For the medial meniscus transplant surgery I also had bone grafting to my ACL tunnels as well as lateral menisectomy. Because of the bone grafting there was a lot of swelling and I had problems with the swelling pressing on the nerve making my leg not work. I stayed in because they were concerned about the function returning, which it did in a few weeks.
For my lateral transplant I had an ACL revision and Lateral Release at the same time. I had my hamstring tendons harvested from the other leg and was in a lot of pain. So I stayed in two nights for pain control. 

2)  WHAT TYPE OF EQUIPMENT DID YOU GO HOME WITH (CPM, ICE EQUIP, STOCKINGS, ETC)?
I went home with an ice machine and TED hose. I used the ice machine a lot and even got frostbite from it after my lateral transplant (in July). I was locked in my brace at 0 for 3 weeks, then I could gradually start motion, so a CPM is not needed because you canít bend your knee.

3)  HOW SOON DID YOU START PT?  HOW OFTEN DID YOU GO FOR PT AND FOR WHAT LENGTH OF TIME?
   I started PT about week 3, I was non weight bearing for the first 7 weeks or so, so at first therapy is was just quad sets, straight leg raises and gentle range of  motion when you can progress your motion. At about 3 weeks I got to move it to 30 degrees, about 5 weeks you are allowed 60 degrees and after 7 or 8 weeks you can have full motion back. For the first little while when I was restricted with motion I went to therapy 2 times a week, after that I went 3 times. I did a lot of pool therapy which was very helpful.
   I was lucky with my PT; my insurance let me have as many visits as was medically necessary. This turned out to be over 100 in a year. Now my insurance has changed so you are only allowed 20 visits a year no matter what, I am not sure what I would do now with those restrictions for therapy.

3)  HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE PAIN OF TRANSPLANT IN COMPARISON WITH WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED AT OTHER TIMES SUCH AS AT THE TIME OF INJURY AND WITH OTHER SURGERIES?
The pain was very intense for me for the first few days, but not too bad after that.
When you are locked in your brace and not moving it doesnít hurt that much. I was going to school full time and working full time, I took a week off of school (it was spring break) and two weeks off of work. I was lucky with work I had a desk job and was able to sit at my desk with my leg elevated. I took the pain pills for about 6 weeks. The pain is tolerable, but when I started to be able to increase my motion of course that was painful. There were many times I left therapy crying due to pain. Ice helps a lot. Just know that it will all be worth it when you are done. It was the worst year of my life, (4 surgeries and too many rehab hours to count) but it was worth it. I was able to walk without pain, my original goal was a return to sports, but I had complications with scar tissue and arthritis setting in so I changed my goal to walking with out pain. Now I am able to bike, hike, swim and that is okay.

3)  WHAT DID YOUR OS RECOMMEND AS FAR AS KNEELING, SQUATTING, ETC?  MY OS TOLD ME THAT I MIGHT NEED A DESK JOB TO PREVENT FURTHER DAMAGE TO MY KNEE, I WORK IN HEATING AND AIR AND AM FREQUENTLY UP AND DOWN AND I DO A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF KNEELING.  MY SITUATION IS A LITTLE COMPLICATED BECAUSE THIS IS A WC INJURY.
   My OS told me that I could not squat or kneel after surgery for ever. I had surgery in 2001 and since then I have only started to be able to knee this past year. Squatting in defiantly out. I work with disabled children now and getting up and down from the floor is necessary, I can do it I just have to do it differently than others. Lifting the kids is hard, because you should use your legs to lift, not your back but I canít squat, so I always ask for help with the lifting. My OS has since told me the same thing to get a desk job, but I donít want to I love my job; I just adapt it to work for me.
   I would think you would need at least 3 months off of work with the type of work you do and even then I am unsure if you would be able to knee for maybe a year or so. I donít know your situation but I know that vocational rehab will help people find a new job if necessary due to a disability, you may want to look into that.

I hope all of this helps. It ahs been 4 years since my meniscus transplants so some of this may have changed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions. When are you scheduled for surgery?

Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,† LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline OSUeddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 06:29:13 PM »
Melanie:

My surgery is scheduled for June 21, 2005.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Tks,
OSUeddy