Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sports and Running after OATS  (Read 13245 times)

Offline andy_bikeski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sports and Running after OATS
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:42:28 PM »
What experiences have people had with returning to sports and other physical activities after the OATS procedure?  What activities have you done?  Has anyone returned to competitive running or running for exercise (not ball-sports related running)?  How long after surgery was it before you started be physically active again?  Did you have significant pain or other problems?  Did you wear a brace, take glucosamine, or do something else to help?

thanks

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: Sports and Running after OATS
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:22:13 PM »
Ir really depends on the extent of your injury and where the OATS is. Mine is on the Medial femoral chondyle and the lateral femoral chondyle and I was told never to run for sport again (including jogging) My lesions were on weight bearing portions of my chondyles and that had lots to do with no running.

Best one to ask is your OS!!

Hope your getting along well

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline andy_bikeski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 06:30:23 PM »
Yeah I talked to my surgeon about it and he said I should be fine after six months (I'm almost at seven).  He did caution me about jogging for exercise (as in not to rack up too many miles b/c of the constant pounding). 

I was just hoping to get some info from other people's experiences with returning to physical activities.  Like what helped?  and what didn't? 

thanks
Andy

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 07:54:49 PM »
I've been wondering this also. I have a fairly large bone on bone area - 1 cm by 6 cm (according to my previous op notes); it's in the medial condyle region: weight bearing. My ortho is considering OATS for me - possibly allograft (cadaver) due to the size. I'll know what he'll do in a few days. In the meantime, I'm worrying a bit - does OATS produce a "good as new" knee? Do people tend to have restrictions after? Are braces normally recommended/helpful for sports after OATS?

I know that the outcome of OATS depends on both the skill of the surgeon and on the compliance of the patient during recovery (with the no weight bearing period especially so the grafts can "take"). But assuming that all goes well, is it reasonable that I'll get back to normal?

Andy - sounds like your recovery is about 6 months - is that about average for this procedure? How long were you non weightbearing?

(sorry - I'm not real mobile at the moment - darned knee - and I have far too much time to wonder and dream about getting a "normal" knee again and regaining my active, pain free lifestyle.)
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »
I have had OATS on both the Medial  Femoral and Lateral Femoral and am no where near good as new and am only half way back to normal. I am 7 months out and still have problems especially with stairs. I do daily weight work to strenghten quad muscles and walk on a daily basis. I am getting better on a daily basis and have been told I will never do impact sports again.  >:(

It all depends on the severity and where your lesions are!!

Best of luck

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline andy_bikeski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 09:39:02 PM »
I actually had an ACL reconstruction at the same time as the OATS.  That may have had more to do with the 6 month waiting period that my doctor recomended before returning to being active.  I consider myself back to normal as far as daily activities are concerned.  I have been okay lifting weights and riding my bike (which I consider to be controlled activities).  But I haven't tested it as far as sports are concerned. 

I'm not sure of the exact size or location of my chondyle defects but it was a weight bearing area.  After surgery I was nonweight bearing for 6 weeks and partial weight bearing for another 4.  I did everything that was asked of me by my doctor and physical therapist.  I'm also relatively young(25) to have had this procedure (I think?).  These things I'm sure contributed to my success.  Although it may be too soon to be certain about the long term effects. 

It sounds like a lot of people on this forum have had mixed experiences with this surgery so it's hard to draw any firm conclusions.  Hopefully your doctor will have the expertise to know what's best for you.

good luck
Andy

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 04:32:17 AM »
Andy,

When I had my OATS procedure (actually I had something similar called allograft mosaicplasty), there was a young guy (I think he was 18) who had a OCD lesion filled using allograft mosaicplasty.  His OCD was really deep and may grafts were used.  I got to know him and his family since it was the two of us and two nurses who stayed in the outpatient center overnight.  I followed him for the first year or so.  He did great and was running by 6 months.  The one thing you have on your side, age.  I just turned 35 when I had mine.  He recovered way faster.  It took me about 12 months to be allowed to run a few minutes on the treadmill and that was while holding some of my weight with my arms.  I got up to about 5-10 minutes 3 times a week at 18 months.  I have lots of other problems, like two big defects on the LTP and LFC.  Technically, I am not suppose to run.  I was only allowed to do this because I needed it mentally.

You will do great.  Once you can really rehab, get those quads strong and keep them strong.  That's will be extremely helpful.
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline jmcreynolds

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 02:45:17 AM »
I know someone that is a competitive runner after OATS.  E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you his e-mail address.

Joy
Scope 10/04 and debridement of chondral defect,  OATs on 1/05

Offline D45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »
--------two fragments 1cm/2cm deep on my medial condyle fixated with bio compression screws    ---------

Hello
I am 10 months post op and have returned to all day to day activities.
However I am looking for ways to get back to full activities ie.. sports, running, jump rope ect..

I have gradually been lifting more and more weight on the leg extension, as well as other exercises, however my knee cap is still causing allot of discomfort and pain (bc of poor muscle growth) thus limiting me to what I can do and how fast I can recover.
I am committed to beating this and am looking for more guidance/exercises on how to get me back out on the feild.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (comments, experience, advice, links ect..)

PS- Thankfull that the pain on my femur has subsided

Offline tb32124

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »
Hey All,

I had OATS about 3 weeks ago.  I previously had ACL reconstruction surgery and a second surgery to clean out debris in my knee.  I'm really trying to get a handle on how I feel and the future implications of the surgery.  I'm 27 and have played basketball my entire life.  It is something that I have always excelled at.  It is one of my biggest passions and has been a constant in my life.  Basketball is also very therapeutic for me, as I tend to bottle things up and allow the physical act of playing basketball to work as a stress reliever.  My surgeon advised me not to play basketball ever again, although he did say it was ultimately my decision.  I'm not really sure how to handle this.

I guess right now it would be really nice to hear some success stories of people returning to sports after OATS...

-T

Offline tata2345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:30 AM »
Hi tb32124

When I was reading your story about basketball, I thought that was me who wrote it.
How is it going now with you?  Are you able to go back and play the sports we love?
I am scheduled to have Cartilage and Meniscus transplant and still hoping to play ball.

support