Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stable knee finally! (after 5 ligament grafts, an HTO and 9 surgeries!)  (Read 1911 times)

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
At last, 4years after wrecking my knee (dislocated with acl, pcl, mcl and posterolateral corner ruptured) I have a stable knee that does not hurt when I walk on it.
My main message is that it is sometimes worth persevering to get the right treatment. I still had a grossly unstable knee after initial attempts at reconstruction (ACL and PCL recons) and couldn't walk across uneven ground or stand straight. I was told that there was nothing more that could be done.
Not particularly happy with that I decided first to get an opinion in the US and then followed this up with a new surgeon in London. So 2 1/2 years after injury I went for a complete "redo" reconstruction and HTO . Now 18 months on, with irritating metalwork recently removed, I have a knee that feels fantastic compared to 2 years ago. I can walk normally and I don't think about my knee every minute of the day - it was worth each and every one of the 9 general anaesthetics that I have gone through.

So if you aren't happy with your lot, don't necessarily give up, make sure that you have looked into your options with at least a second opinion.

I'm very happy to move on after 4 frustratingly knee dominated years!

Good luck to everyone else with horrible multiligament injuries
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

shadehawk

KJ,

Congratulations,  glad that you have made it through all this.  You now have stability and that is just great news.

Looks like you have travelled down the curvy road to get to where you are, but the good news is that you did make it.

Wishing you all the best,

Shade