Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new to this - with a knee problem need help  (Read 850 times)

Offline chelsea1cakes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new to this - with a knee problem need help
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:29:48 PM »
 :( hi i have just registered here and would like to post for some help and advice. i have been off work for almost a year now - started with a knee problem , couldn't walk far without it hurting. doctor suggested various xrays on back and then mri scan on back, found i have a dehydrated disc so sent me for physio did not have back pain until physio fiddled around so i stopped.

knee pain is very bad now i can't kneal on it and if i kneal on other knee i can't get up - i have trouble getting in and out of bath
walking hurts and pain gets worse as day goes on - more excersise i do the worse the knee gets - seems to be affecting the other knee now but i don't know if thats because i'm limping or not. doctor as now ordered xrays on knee and i am waiting for mri scan.
four years ago i had one on same knee and was told the disc is wearing thin and their is nothing they can do until i am about 70!!
i need my knees now i am 48 and work with children. (knee aches alnight as well pain killers and anti inflamatory don't help)
anyone got any ideas i am really fed up!!
sue
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 10:02:43 PM by chelsea1cakes »

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: new to this - with a knee problem need help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »
hopefully the mri will give you some answers, but if your doc blows it off and says there is nothing to do until you are 70 then its time to find  new doc.If i were you I would wait and see what the MRI shows, it might be something easy to fix.  Good luck ~Patti 
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline chelsea1cakes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »
hi thanks for that - unfortunately my doctor has mucked up and ordered an x-ray not an mri as i thought - xrays don't show much do they. my knee is very bad today i walked about 2 miles and something has twanged in it so i am in a lot of pain - don't know if i should go to a and e to get it checked out ...help anyone???

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 05:23:50 PM »
Hey Xrays are very excellent diagnostic tools for certain types of injuries, disease, dysfunction.  It's a good place to start.. and MRI's are only good at diagnosing certain conditions. IF you have already had xrays that showed thinning of the cartilage, then you may very well have osteo arthritis and an XRAY will show the arthritic change. it is true that they attempt to put off joint replacements and that sort of thing as long as possible, this is because it can only be revised a coupel of times and then your bones can't support it anymore.  There are things to help though, braces ( unloader braces ) depending on where the arthritis is located can help take the pressure off this part of the joint. You may not even have arthritis, but i'm just letting you know that it's not hopeless.
Goodluck and welcome to the geeks ;)
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline chelsea1cakes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:35:25 PM »
thanks, the thinning didn't show on the x-ray only on the mri scan approx 4 years ago - doctor said there is arthritis there but did not tell me then its only now that she has been looking thru my notes that this has come to light. i don't know why they didn't mention arthritis all that time ago. so maybe the xray on wednesday will show something.

Offline missvenessa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:17:08 PM »
:( hi i have just registered here and would like to post for some help and advice. i have been off work for almost a year now - started with a knee problem , couldn't walk far without it hurting. doctor suggested various xrays on back and then mri scan on back, found i have a dehydrated disc so sent me for physio did not have back pain until physio fiddled around so i stopped.

knee pain is very bad now i can't kneal on it and if i kneal on other knee i can't get up - i have trouble getting in and out of bath
walking hurts and pain gets worse as day goes on - more excersise i do the worse the knee gets - seems to be affecting the other knee now but i don't know if thats because i'm limping or not. doctor as now ordered xrays on knee and i am waiting for mri scan.
four years ago i had one on same knee and was told the disc is wearing thin and their is nothing they can do until i am about 70!!
i need my knees now i am 48 and work with children. (knee aches alnight as well pain killers and anti inflamatory don't help)
anyone got any ideas i am really fed up!!
sue
??? :-\ ??? hi im also new to this site.i got in a car accident april 18th and i broke my patella and the femur.The femur is still healing.but my doc had me take the immobolizer off and start physical therapy i have not yet started but have tried myself at home to bend the knee.man and let me tell u it is so uncomfortable and irritating.maybe im doing it wrong but it hurts and im so scared to go to physical therapy ive heard stories.i just wanted anyone out there to tell me what physical therapy starts like.what do they do at first.i heard they lay you down on your stomach and bend your leg back????thats what im afraid of!!!so if anyone whos been through this help me understand what they will do.

support