Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need exercise ideas  (Read 1471 times)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Need exercise ideas
« on: May 31, 2005, 06:35:55 PM »
I think I posted this once before, but my OS keeps making it harder and harder for me to exercise.  Correction - my knee makes it harder, my OS communicates the message in english, instead of in pain.

Basic background:
3 lesiosn of articular cartilage.  Lateral half of tibial plateau.  3x6cm LFC - microfractured in Dec. 04.  1x3CM trochlear groove, touching LFC lesion, also microfractured 12/04.  I need to lose at least 50  more pounds (I've already lost almost 50) before they'll do ACI.  BUT, if the 2 lesions blend into 1, they can't do ACI.

Limitations:
I am not to do anything with repetitive bending to more than 70 degrees.  (Eliminates bike, rowing machine, stair stepper)
I am not to participate in impact activities. (Eliminates hiking, treadmill)

Current activities -
Swimming laps (boring, and I'm only an ok swimmer)
Water fitness classes - ok, but I can't always get there.  I modify a lot of those drills to minimize bend.
Elliptical trainer - sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't.  15-20 minutes seems ok.  Sometime after that is when I get pain at the microfracture site.  My OS said that maybe I should find another activity if this hurts.

My big question - WHAT'S LEFT?  If I can't exercise, losing weight gets lots harder.  If I ignore the rule and try the bike, or keep up with the elliptical, I may damage the site.

What's a girl to do?  I'm frustrated, and a little bit scared that I'm just screwed, no matter what.

Any ideas out there?

THANKS,
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Need exercise ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
Are you needing something just to loose weight or it for excercise your muscles around your joints too ?/NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline KawaiiKagura

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:46:35 PM »
I just wanted to say I'm also having the same problem. I dislocated my patella and tore the medial meniscus but I have quite a long time before my surgery. Until then, just about anything hurts, and all I can do is sit on my butt and gain weight. Not very pleasant and I agree its very upsetting to know that you don't have much you can do about it. I was actually going to post and ask if anyone had any excercises that wouldn't bother a knee or my leg in general when I found your post. My limitations are a bit more than yours though, no standing for more than 20 mins at a time, minimal to no weight bearing. Hopefully someone will have some exercises we can both use and good luck to you.

In reply to Nettan: "I need to lose at least 50  more pounds (I've already lost almost 50) before they'll do ACI.  BUT, if the 2 lesions blend into 1, they can't do ACI."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 06:48:44 PM by KawaiiKagura »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:59:57 PM »
Sorry I'm not that good in english, from Sweden.
I'm a 100% wheelchair user and I do watertherapy and workout my upperbody in a gym. Actually I think I have gotten both better phys and loosen weight when working out my upperbody in gym.
And if you're not able to go to a gym some weights at home can do the same work for you. Just a thought from one who has problems in using legs.Wish you both luck in your search.

Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 07:01:49 PM »
Hi Jess,

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  Only difference is that I can do the bike...I'm just bored out of my mind with it.  I have found that if I exercise with weights I can get just as good a cardio workout as with a machine, plus I'm building more strength and endurance that way too.  I dont know if you can get to a gym or what you may have available but you might want to look into it.  
I am currently doing a lot of upper body stuff along with my regular rehab type exercises and find myself getting totally exhausted with the workout...much more so than when I ride the bike.  Right now I am only riding the bike because my OS says too, not because I am trying to build strength or maintain a certain body weight.  He says its good for the cartilage and it helps to keep the joint moving.   Anyway.....
In order to get a good cardio workout for weight loss with weights you need to do high repetitions with less weight and little breaks in between sets.  If you were to go to a gym the nautilas type machines would probably be best so that you can move from machine to machine quickly without having to move the weights around so much.  I was trying to do this at home with our free weights but it was just slowing me down so much.  I found myself totally rested by the time I was ready for the next exercise and that was not was I was trying to do.  I wanted something that would allow me to move from exercise to exercise quickly as to keep my heart rate up.  I've been working out on a bowflex for the past 2 months and have noticed a HUGH difference.  Like you, I am very restricted with what type of exercises I can do and have found this one piece of machine to be a godsend.  They have so many exercises that I am never bored and since you change the exercise so quickly I am moving along really fast and getting a great cardio workout.  
Well, sorry if I just rambled on and on.  I just wanted to give you an idea of something you may want to try.  I was in your exact same situation...still am actually, but at least now I found something that is working for me.  
Keep looking and hang in there.  
kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 07:10:39 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I do belong to a gym - that's where I do all the water stuff.  I have been thinking about making a few appointments with a personal trainer, to get a good routine down and make sure I'm using good form.  Sounds like that certainly can't hurt.  especially since one of the trainers there has super messed up knees himself, so he'll be good about ideas and modifying exercises.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 07:17:23 PM »
A great cardio workout that kicks my butt is the arm bike--you do it standing or sitting, and it is exactly what it sounds like.  It builds upper body strength and if you set the resistance up, it is exhausting.

Also, can you do retro treadmill?  It doesn't involve a lot of impact, but it can really help build the muscles.  You turn around and walk backwards on the treadmill VERY SLOWLY, about 1.0mph, perhaps working up to 1.5.  And you put the treadmill on an incline, starting at 5% and going up to the max (usu. 10-15% incline, depending on the model).  This can really help build the quads in a fairly gentle way.

And if you get pain doing the eliptical, have you tried it backwards?  You hold on for dear life and just move your legs backwards instead of forwards.  You go slower, but have more control.  I'm not able to do the eliptical right now, but when I did I had to be careful and keep it at low resistance and low incline.  Otherwise, I flared my knee.

Have you tried using the ROWER (edited--sorry) and not getting your bad leg involved?  You can buy these slide boards (most PT places have them) and instead of putting your bad leg in the footrest on the rower, set it on the ground.  Wear a sock, and it should slide gently back and forth as you row with your other leg and both arms.  

Just a couple of ideas.  I know how hard it is to get a workout with a bad knee.  I have a really bad shoulder thrown into the mix, so I'm REALLY limited in what I can do...I sympathize.

Heather
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 09:43:58 PM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
Heather -

I haven't tried the treadmill backwards.  WHen I do the elliptical I always do a 7/5 ratio.  7 Minutes forward to 5 minutes backward.  There is little to no pain on the backwards motion, but much less quad involvement too.  Maybe I'll try the elliptical backwards only, and then walk backwards on the treadmill for the quads.  They may chuckle at the gym, but if the weight comes off and the knee gets fixed, what do I care?

Thanks for the idea.
Jess