Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Strange swelling problem in knee... pushed indents not coming out immediately  (Read 3043 times)

Offline jonc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

I'm currently recovering from a fracture dislocation of the tibia - tibia plateau fracture Schatzker V.  It's now nearly two months since my accident and I'm in a cast brace with a hinge the allows my knee to move about 60 degrees.  In a couple of weeks the cast is to be removed.

Now to my question, which is a bit more general than the above makes it sound!

Although I'm not in much pain, my knee is still very, very swollen.  In fact, I can push my finger into places around the knee to create about a 1cm deep indent.  The strange thing is that it takes about 2 minutes for such a pushed indent to then come out again to where it was - no pain, but it seems very odd...

I'll mention this to my consultant when I see him in a couple of weeks time, but I was wondering whether this was normal for such a swelling, as I've never noticed it when I've had swollen joints before...  Is this just a normal sympton of excessive fluid, for example?

Thanks,
Jon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 04:33:53 PM by jonc »

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
I am 7 wks post op from a Fulkerson and LR. They cut my Tibia and it broke off a large peice of bone and splinters. They did fill it with graphing. I do not have much pain either and am in a hindged brace set at 90 degrees now. My knee is still swollen and swells up alot and gets alittle warm when I am on it alot during the day. I am PWB as tolerated. I just asked the same question basicly in the post op board. I keep icing it during the day and try to keep it elevated when I can. Good luck to you on your recovery. I think these ops just take along time to heal back to normal, it seems......Pati
55 yrs old
April 12,2005 Fulkerson/LR left knee
Sept 13,2005 Fulkerson/LR right knee

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
This is called pitting edema, and it is a sign of a lot of fluid.  I'm not sure if it's something to be expected at your stage and with your injury or not--only your doctor can say.  It might be worth calling, if you don't see him/her for a few weeks....

You will probably want to look through the 'bone breaks around the knee' section and a web page called http://www.mybrokenleg.com  for further advice specific to your kind of injury.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
Heather, thanks for the site. It was very informative... I guess my swelling is normal healing....will still check with OS tomorrow on phone.....thanks again......Pati
55 yrs old

Offline jonc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks all.

"Pitting Edema"...nice to put a name to it!  A bit of Googling based on this and the pictures it throws up look exactly the same as I'm seeing.  It's much worse in the evening after a day when my leg hasn't been elevated as much as it could have been - in the morning, after a night of sleeping with it raised on some pillows, it still happens but it's much less pronounced - even looks a bit like a knee  :)

When I saw my Dr last he made note of the "massive" swelling then, so I guess it's nothing to worry about in the context of things.

Thanks for your help,
Jon.

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
I called my OS today and they said the selling is normal. It will probably be swelled up for a while yet. I can still put weight on it alittle and elevate and ice it when sitting down. They said even the hardness of the side of knee where the graph was and screws are is normal. The indent mark you make when pressing with finger and it comes back slow is normal also. It just takes along time to heal. I hope this helps some of you too...I feel better knowing I didn't hurt anything in there and it is just the normal healing process. Guess when I get the right knee done in Sept I won't have these questions then. Geez not looking forward to another op  like this, but has to be done......Pati
55 yrs old

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
My swelling is going down! yes I loosened up the straps on the brace some and adjusted them and it is not putting pressure right ontop of the scar anymore and that seem to help it alot. Yay!. I can even put more weight on it without it hurting. I still elevate and ice, but I think I am starting uphill pretty good. I see the OS next Thurs. take care everyone.............Pati
55 yrs old