Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allograft?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
Allograft?
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:14:47 AM »
Howdy all,

In January I dislocated my left knee.

MRI showed torn MCL, small medial meniscus tear and a 17mm x 21mm defect on the lateral femoral codyle.

surgical plan was to go in with scope and remove loose bodie, lateral selease with Medial plication and do microfracture on the remoral defect if needed.

When they got in they found that the MRI had not caught the extent of the defect of the femoral condyle.  turns out it is prettyu much the entire weight bearing part and some of the anterior aspect of the lateral condyle.

The Doc has advised I will need an allograft.

1.) how long till the defect damages the good cartilige?  I already hace pain upon weight bearing extension.

2.) what can I expect post-op and recovery?

I appreciate your input.
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Allograft?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 09:01:05 PM »
I had an ACL allograft in  Feb 2004.  Before that, I had an Arthro. surgery for a torn meniscus that had a cyst in the joint.  My knee pain was so bad that I was in tears many nights.  Absolutely, without a dought, best thing ever done.  I had a little pain after the surg. but was allowed to go home and stay in bed with a passive motion machine for 6 days.  That was extremely beneficial to the pain and very essential in mobility.  I can't tell you how much difference it made. I am so much more active now.  Can I refer you to the very best in Cinti Ohio?

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »
Check out the cartilage plugs section under arthritis.  But be very careful - if they can repair your lesion with one graft, there are a number of doctors with experience.  If your lesion is too large for 1 graft and you require a mosaicplasty procedure, get a few opinions.  From talking to my OS, and reading posts on here, and doing lots of research, it seems that there aren't many doctors with high success rates for comlicated mosaicplasty procedures.

If it's most of the femur - medial and lateral side - you may not be a good candidate for any sort of cartilage plug transfer.  Do your research.  (cartilagedoc.org has a knee section dedicated to cartilage restoration procedures)

You didn't say how old you are,  or where you live, but those factors may affect your and your OS's decisions.

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 03:29:03 AM »
36 and I reside in Dallas, Texas.  The lesion is on the lateral condoyle and is almost the entire anterior face and distal (weight bearing) end.  Now that the swelling has gone down I can actually feel the defect while I have the knee in full flexion,  I ocasionally have the lateral meniscus catch on the defect which in most cases can be worked loose without severe pain.  If I walk with the knee bent about 15-20 degres it is not too painful.  If I am weight bearing and forget  letting the knee go to full extension ... Yikes that stings.  It may get better if the end of the bone will heal.  I see the OS next Thursday. 

It really bites, I was in Honolulu Hawaii last weekend and had too much pain to get into the ocean, just walked part of the way accross the beach (that is where it got so diffcult to maintain that degree of flexion)  :-\
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:05 PM »
I'd get at least 1 or 2 more opinions, preferably from OS's who are experts in cartilage restoration.  I've got 3 lesions myself - the largest is 3x6cm on the LFC - also takes up most of the area.  I was told that if it gets much worse and the LFC and trochlear lesions blend together (they're already kissing) the knee becomes a salvage case.  As it is, for the 3x6cm lesion a mosaicplasty would be the only option for an allograft, and due to the size the odds aren't great.  That's why we're hoping I can have ACI - much better success rate.  But before I sign on for surgery I'm plannign on traveling to NJ to a cartilage expert, and probably even to Boston to see Dr. Minas.  Only get 1 knee, and at 31 I'm far from ready to call it quits.  I'd be very proactive, do lots of research, ask lots of questions, and make sure your OS has lots of experience in these procedures.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)