13 (24.5%)
Equestrian riding
4 (7.5%)
Western pleasure riding
1 (1.9%)
Other
35 (66%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??  (Read 20920 times)

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
They do say that most horse related accident are from the ground and not necessarily on them.  Luck someone heard you bet that hurt  :o

Sue
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
Not the ponies this time.  I was walking both weimaraners, and I pushed the button to cross a large intersection.  Suddenly I noticed a couple with a dog preparing to cross the same street, so I beat a hasty retreat up on the lawn of the apt building on that corner.  This is the lawn most favored by all dogs for peeing and pooping.  I made the dogs sit and I held the year old male closest to me foolishly thinking that the older, diabetic female would behave.  Oops, the couple jogged at us with their dog.  Although I was feverishly yanking on the pinch collars and commanding "SIT" the female lunged forward followed almost simulataneously by the male dog.  I got launched like a water skier as the slack of the leashes disappeared.  Bam, I landed on my repaired knee and then my forehead, and I rolled on my filled poop bag.  The only thing that would've made it a funnier scenario would've been if the poop bag burst when I hit it.   The worst thing is my depression about not being able to walk the dogs together because they're so bad!  Now I'm facing another knee surgery and I'm begging and/or hiring friends to take care of the ponies, cats and dogs.
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
a horse would have been preferable. my friend claimed she knew how to ride a scooter, and the last thing i remember seeing before i woke up in a bush was a sign saying dangerous curve. unfortunately the sign was in spanish and we were in the middle of nowhere in mexico. a scooter behind us saw what happened, pulled me up to the side of the road (from a ravine) where  a nice young man in a VW bug picked me up and took me to the nearest mash unit. (he's probably still cursing me today, because i bled all over his car.) spent 3 days in the mash unit until a flight out could be arranged. the doctor came once a day and the nurse was there only until sunset, when she locked up and went home.  i was able to pay someone to get me food but i couldn't get any pain medication other than aspirin. by the time i landed in austin my knee was the size of a basketball, no joke. the doctors thought they'd have to amputate because of all the gas that showed up in the xray. all this happened nearly 30 years ago. low body weight and a very controlled lifestyle allowed me to keep my body parts until 3 months ago, when i finally traded in the knee. unfortunately, wear and tear on the other knee has been intense, so it's going soon too, as soon as i get over this first TKR. i love this site. i just wish i'd found it before i had my TKR. i would have been so much better prepared for facing the last 3 months!

Offline helsbels

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »
i had fell on my knee on a tuesday in 2004 by tripping over a board that we had up to prevent our dog getting out of the kitchen and into the rest of the house when we were out. unfortunatly i couldnt be bothered at the time to just move the board and tried to climb over it but unfortunatly caught my foot on it which made me fall knee first onto the kitchen floor tiles. i actually ended up putting my knee completly through the kitchen tile and shattered the tile to peices. but although i was in alot of pain i didnt get it checked out until the thurs because my fella had booked for us to go horse riding at the weekend and i thought id better just check i hadnt done anything serious to it before i went as it was still very swollen and painful. so i went to a&e on the thursday. they took an xray and said nothing wrong just bruised etc. so therefore i went riding at the weekend.
it was wicked as i hadnt been for a while (i used to go riding every week for years previously)  but as we were in agroup (one of riding trips with 5 other ppl) 3 of us wanted to canter on way back. so the other's went ahead and we waited till it was clear. of we went but as we went up a steep hill something spooked my horse (i was at the back of the rest ) and he jolted and moved suddenly to the left. i tried my best to hang on but he suddenly bolted up the hill and as i had already lost balance i fell off.

i dont know wether this did anything extra to my knee but im sure it wouldnt have helped it just 4 days after the fall. that was in 2004 and after a scope in 2005, im still unable to walk and still dont know what is wrong with the knee!
but once they find out the problem with whats wrong and i am able  to i will defo be getting back on a horse and doing it all again but preferbly without the fall!!

helen xxx
fell on knee aug 04
op jul 05 + physio
4 mri's between 05 + 07
5 steroid inj between 05 + 06
mri arthrogram 19th nov 07 - normal
3rd opinion os appt -aprl 11th 08
op jun 09
os discharged me aug 09!
physio 09-present
pain doc sendin me to pain management course-if get into it '2010
STILL CANT WALK!!!

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
Where are our guardian angels?
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline J-Okr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »
Wow....guess I'm not the only horse back rider on this site who's been grounded!!  I've been riding for about 15 years, and have had my fair share of injuries....mostly concussions (have ALWAYS rode with a helmut, thank god), or back injuries (shattered vertebra, compressed neck/C-spine, coutless injuries to hips), and I've survived all of them with out too many consequences...then just over a year ago riding my girl through a local park, she slips in mud and all 4 legs fly out from under her...I couldn't jump clear in time, and she landed on me, crushing my left leg under her.
Over a year later, and I still can't ride.  In fact, I can't do much other than walking or swimming, and even after doing those I have to ice my leg for the rest of the night.  Hopefully we'll find out soon what's going on in that knee/leg of mine!

Sorry to see there's other rider's here!

Offline LisaV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
Had problem knees since age 9 but like a fool took up karate and dislocated patella big time doing the most spectacular kick!

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Hello!

Yes I was injured horseback riding! I ride hunter/jumper and about 2 and a half years ago I was dragged over 16 jumps and sustained quite a few injuries but hurt both my knees. I am 16 now and just had surgery a few months ago (lateral release and medial reefing). I am still having problems though :( It was a very young horse. I am proud to say i got back in the saddle though when I was all healed. I was then recruited for a riding team and we compete internationally. I am currently in England at a competition and am in severe knee pain :( I am laso know homeschooled because of my intense training schedual. I have quite a collection of horses now though. Although I was injured riding I couldn't imagine my life wihtout it!!

support