13 (24.5%)
Equestrian riding
4 (7.5%)
Western pleasure riding
1 (1.9%)
Other
35 (66%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??  (Read 20917 times)

Offline PennyL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
I didn't initially hurt my knee on horseback, but my most recent reoccurance of the injury was on horseback. I dislocated my patella 3 times when I was younger & I knew it had been getting loose again. Silly me I didn't wear my knee brace to ride.... the horse was fresh, decided to buck & my kneecap gave out :( It's been 2 weeks and it still hasn't "tightened" from the injury so I'll be seeing the OS next week (soonest they could get me in)

Offline Zimgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:56:15 AM »
I suffered a Tibial Plateau fracture from landing on my feet. Horse chipped in a short stride before a large spread and honest as he was made a big effort over the fence which slightly unseated me, then the little bugger bucked on landing, as if to say 'Geez Mum that was pretty crap', stayed on for the first and second bucks and thought 'oh well its not going to be too bad' as I sailed off and landed on my feet. OOPS! Horse buggers off back to stable. Husband catches him and says 'come on get back on'. I knew something was wrong and asked him to call the ambulance. He wouldnt believe it, went off to wash the horse down and put him away then ten minutes later comes over and tries to stand me on my feet. Thats when he started panicking and finally phoned the ambo. Its been two months and a bit now. I am between and walk and a hobble (a wobble I guess).

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »
I usually land on my butt or my face.  No, injuries to the knees.  In fact riding doesn't bother me knees.  Makes me question why I'm going to get surger ;D
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline WJD

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »
Runningislife, I hope you sued!

I didn't injure my knee riding, but in a skiing accident.  A "*%$$ german came down the slope too fast, and clipped the back of my skiis with his.  I fell forward and to the right and my left ski didn't come off.  Lay on the floor crying until someone could pick me up.  yuck.  24 hours on a coach going home that night didn't help with the swelling much. 

WJD
02/05 - ACL damage in a skiing collision.
01/06 - suspect lateral meniscus tear kneeling to change a DVD.
6/4/06 - Arthroscopy to remove meniscus bucket handle tear, ACL found to be ruptured. 
6/3/7 - Hamstring ACLR

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »
I injured my right knee when I was tipsy I gave my Sister a piggyback and fell down onto pavement at the time I felt no knee pain till the next morning when it was swollen and hurting. I could still go to work and pain was not too bad, now left knee hurts more then right which has never been injured that comes more when weather cooler.

Nick :) {2006} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Jo-knee

• Regular Poster
  • I will not give up.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »
I am the steward for stadium jumping at the event in my area.  I was changing the pin/ height on a standard and twisted my knee while trying to hang on to the pole; I also dropped the pole on my leg.  Ouch!  I think the actual damage came from the twisting part.  Didn't feel much pain until the next day. I got myself a torn lat meniscus and 2 grade 4 osteochondryl fratures on med fem condyle.   My life has changed dramatically.  I ride western mostly, camp and trailride with my horses.  I had to sell my aqha mare, but am able to ride my foxtrotters without too much discomfort most of the time.

Joanie
Gotta love that ice!  10/05 lat menisectomy, microfracture to 2 medial femoral defects.

Offline blue6226

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 06:06:08 AM »
Didn't do mine riding but continue to ride until next operation...probably not such a good idea - but i'll enjoy it while I can!
16 yrs old
fractured femur + dislodged cartilage lateral condyle
2nd stage maci surgery in dec

Offline by149561

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »
No .. doing MMA

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
Hi WJD

>>A "*%$$ german came down the slope too fast, and clipped the back of my skiis with his.<<< ???

How do you know he was a German? If he stopped he was obliged to give you his details, if he didn't then it could be any idiot on skis! I was once hit by a drunk Brit and have seen plenty of other ski accidents (collisions) involving lots of different nationalities. The worst are always the idiots who spend most of their time drinking alcohol in the mountain bars and restaurants.

I injured one knee in a collision (mentioned above) and the other slipping on ice on the way to the slopes.

When I rode I only injured my pride when I landed on my face or my backside, particularly while out hunting. Why is there always mud and water to land in when you fly over the head of your horse?

Sue (in Germany!)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline blossom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 01:18:04 AM »
I suffer recurrent patellar dislocations.  About 10 years ago, my boyfriend and I were visiting a cenral American country.  We saw some horses for rent and decided it would be fun to ride on the beach.  My horse freaked out and took off; slammed into my boyfriend's horse with my knee in between.  Neeless to say, I was on a galloping horse with a dislocated kneecap, hanging on for dear life  :o.  My boyfirend was laughing, unaware my kneecap was out....it was a terrifying experience.  The horse finally stopped and I had to swing my leg around straight to get the patella back in.  Anywyay I couldn't resist posting here when I saw the topic :P

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:42 AM »
Ahh... this brings back memories.

Ok so I was riding a horse I hadn't ridden before. And so this big Thoroughbred (a good 17hh) is a stallion and during my lesson a novice girl on a mare comes into the arena. I was cantering around and whenever I went by on her (she was walking on a slow, fat horse-pony), my horse would freak. He would rush, chew, cow-hop, and try to get as close to her as he could [while cantering] because it was that time of the year. It didn't help that he was coming off a layoff and was the definition of fresh. So I quit cantering and go to the center of the arena and my instructor asked her if she could try to stay away from us, that it would be very nice because Bayside kept acting up around the mare. The girl nodded and so I went on with my lesson. So my insturctor made out a course for me and in the middle of it, I turned the corner, and the girl on the mare is coming towards me:

(diagram time! even though I could write it out- I'm bored)

r       m       j u m p
                                                a       a       
                                                i        r
                                                l        e       j u m p
                                                        V         ^                                                           ^
                                                                  me

Ok so the stally takes a hard left right at the base of the jump. He still jumps it and catches my knee in the middle of the jump standard. Drags the standard a stride or two and proceeds to jump the next in the line x.x And I (naturally) pulled up and took my foot out of the stirrup. And my instructor asks why I stopped and to do the whole course again!!!! So I have to do it again. After the last jump I get off. My dad gets the horse (yes without cooling him off-- I wasnt thinking about that at the time) and I limp my way up. A barn girl comments on how my knee looks like the size of a cantalope. So she takes care with all the untacking/bath and I leave. I don't know exactly what happened in that accident though. I've gotten everytihng from nothings wrong to hyper-extension of the lateral collateral to a partial tear to the meniscus.
But that was my left knee. My right knee is a by-product of staying off my left and putting too much stress/weight on it. At least I think thats what happened... they aren't exactly sure... But I tried riding with a brace a couple times but riding was just too much for it. So I had to quit.  :'( [My avatar shows it all. But the horse in my av isn;t the one that messed it up].

And then to top all of it off: marching band. I'll post the picture of my favorite show moment when I can find it.

7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
Hmmm well I figured I should repost.  I posted on Page one last winter before I got injured riding my horse.. I fell off last may 15th. 11 months ago today.. and tore my ACL and damaged the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  Still not better, still not back to riding.. second opinion on Friday!  My horse chipped in at the base of a fence and I anticipated which is a big no no, but hey we all get lazy sometimes... this time i'm paying big time for being lazy.
I have tried riding a few times... but it's ends in me being in alot of pain by the time it's all over.

I missy riding my horse!!!! After missing last eventing season, I really thought i'd be back for this year, but it's not looking good.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline RickyHouse

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 03:32:28 AM »
can't say i've ever been on a horse...just seen them and fed them...
L knee scope 11/06/06
L knee Scope , Lateral release and TTT 08/20/07
Started therapy 09/08/07

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
Mine was horse riding.  I went to canter with my friend up a field on a pleasure ride and mine did a rodeo I managed to stay on for a while but when you are about three foot up in the air from your saddle you then realise there is a point of no return lol.  I landed flat on my face with some how my knee bent underneath me. Just had arthroscopy 3yrs later after they realised something must be wrong.

;D
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline cajahorse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »
I have fallen off my horses more times than I rode and I would love to say what happened this last time was a fall...but alas not.

We were feeding compressed bales of hay and every three days I would go up to the pasture (2.5 acres) and clip off the wire that held the bales. 

So that Saturday I went up to cut the wire and our TB mare had her food looped around one of the downed wires.  I thought I would step on the wire and she would just gracefully lift her hind leg...however she felt the pressure, freaked out and took off running. 

I was actually in the wire, it slid up my leg and my foot caught the sand. Snap, snap, snap and I went down, hitting my left knee on my right knee, snapping it back into some sort of place.  Oh and I discovered I had hit the ground so hard I bruised (thankfully did not break) my ribs on the left side. 

So now I am in the pasture, in extreme pain, the darn horse is free (luckily no vet bills there...) and the rest of the herd is starting to sniff me.   No one was home so what could I do but scream for help. 

10 minutes go by and I am I starting to go into shock as the full body of pain hits me.  Somehow a neighbor hears me and calls 911. 

So not a horseback riding accident, but nevertheless a "horse" accident.