13 (24.5%)
Equestrian riding
4 (7.5%)
Western pleasure riding
1 (1.9%)
Other
35 (66%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??  (Read 20911 times)

shadehawk

POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »
Hi,  

There are a lot of polls about knee injuries, but seems none are about horse accidents or just horseback riding causing knee pain over several years.

Just curious.

Shade
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 07:52:42 PM by Shade »

Offline WICowgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Tryin to beat my knees
Re: POLL: Did you injure your knees ((Horseback Riding))??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 02:30:55 AM »
Horseback riding didn't cause my knee injuries but it sure isn't helping them LOL! By the way I ride western.

Heather
29 yo from Wisconsin
2 Bad Knees
LR + MR + poss. TTT on right knee July 13th

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 01:42:16 PM »
Horseback riding hasn't been the CAUSE of my knee problems but has certainly been responsible for quite a few dislocations!

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:31:44 AM »
If it wasn't for my horseback riding accident, I wouldn;t have a knee problem even though I didn't hurt my knee with the riding accident. Sounds confusing. I broke my tib fib in 4 places in a jumping accident. My horse fell down to his knees landing a jump and after keeping myself from going over forward, which would have been disasterous, I was thrown off the side. I landed with my left leg on the lateral side and my leg snapped in half. It was surreal to see my leg bent in half and I didn't have any pain at the moment of breaking. Five secs later I yelled down to call 911 because I broke my leg and then the pain came ....big time. Worse than child birth. Because of the technique my OS used splitting my patella tendon lengthwise to insert a rod that I later found out didn;t need to be split but could be pushed aside....this began my knee problems. I had a perfect knee prior to this surgery. Not only did this OS set my leg 40 degrees externally rotated but he didn't recognize the developement of athrofibrosis and patella baja and infrapatellar contracture syndrome. I ended up needding the leg rebroken to straighten. A crooked leg greatly affects the PF joint. I had to have several surgeries to the knee which ended in a TKR in January. In all I had 8 surgeries because of this doc.

That is how my horseback riding accident affected my knee

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 07:40:20 AM »
Hello

No....I didn't hurt my my knee horse back riding.

I wreaked it trying to catch a bus. I got the bus but wreaked the knee whist at  it and I wasn't travelling all that fast...half speed run. Phoooey!!!!

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:14:21 AM »
My ex-husband ran me over while snow skiing....it was an accident, and not why he's my ex.  Let's just say gravity was more powerful than the skill he possessed.  yunti
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline ruffianxc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 10:15:24 PM »
mine wasn't caused by riding,but has caused me tostop riding for a couple years
barbotage meiscus (R) 03

Offline runningislife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 12:49:25 AM »
Not horseback riding but turbulence from my job as flight attendant. We were decending into Orlando in the summer and I was in the back of the plane. I bent down to pick up something from the floor and we encountered a thermal and then severe turbulence which tossed me about the galley. I felt something pop and a burning in my knee. //Medial meniscus tear and much more damage. Six months of grueling rehab later I went back to work. Moral of the story is that when we encounter turbulent conditions I sit down, regardless of pax or cabin needs. It's not worth it.

Offline Layla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »
Hi,my accident was caused by horse-riding,I was out riding with 3 friends we were cantering up a bridle path when something caused the horse up front to spook,the other horses then collided into each other I was at the back and lost my stirrups the others did not hear me calling out to stop,so I ended up falling off I did not realize that I had hurt my knee until I tried to get up and could,nt,it was quite scary waiting for help as my friends had their horses as well as mine to look after,luckily there was a house nearby and the people there took me back to the yard where I keep my horse,to cut a long story short I had a tibia plateau fracture,which has been repaired with a plate and screws,this was 8 weeks ago and I cant wait to get back to riding,OS says it will be 6 months,but I really hope it,s sooner.  Layla

Offline AussieGal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 03:00:59 AM »
Hi
I hurt my knee by swimming to much! I am a professional swimmer and have won many trophies and medals.

Offline Deadinmi

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 08:51:12 PM »
A fall horseback riding was the last straw for both of my knees... One was my fault, the other was a young horse we had at my camp that 'just needed work at the canter...' and by that it meant he put out some rodeo style bucking at the canter. But the first time I hopped on my guy bareback with my spurs still on and he moved as I was getting up and I only made it halfway on, then tried to pull myself up with my foot/heel/spur.. I made it about half way around the ring half on half off at a gallop bareback before I bit it. The other time, after 4 buckoffs of the needs work at the canter horse, I had some torn cartilage and whatnot complicating my already sucky knee. But hey, I could ride three weeks post op with my right knee, so I should be albe to ride soon, except for my whole cracked kneecap dilema.
-Fran

I've come to the conclusion that listing my laundry list of things that happened to my knee isn't what people here need. What we all need is a nice lounge chair on a beach, some Jimmy Buffet, and some fruity drinks... So we can all work on our brace tans. 8)

Offline SmplySweet1021

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 03:04:58 PM »
I've been riding hunt seat for about 12 years and this is the first time such a thing has happened to me. I was in the show ring showing an equitation on the flat class and cutting across the ring to get away from a large group of riders. I was almost on the other side by the rail and this girl started to turn not looking. Our horses almost collided and her horse kicked out and kicked me in the knee. Fell right off in the middle of the class and had to be taken to the hospital. I just had my PCL and my LCL replaced in that knee thanks to her. GRRRRR
2005 - Blown PCL & LCL due to Riding Accident, Surgery to repair
2006 - New Surgeon due to Problems
2007 Scope & 2 non dissolving screws still in knee
Supartz, Synvisc, Cortisone injections- Didn't Work :-(
Grade 3 Osteoarthritis at 24 yrs old

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »
Hey.. riding didn't cause my problems either, but my Surgeon sure says it doesn't help my cause any.  I ride English mostly but western too. I do eventing , as well as train some horses and teach riding.  It's BAD news for BAD knees.
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Deadinmi

• Regular Poster
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 06:03:11 PM »
See now, I convinced my doctor that horseback riding is good sometimes, although you are right, it's mostly bad new for bad knees... But I spent this summer, while breaking down my left leg, building up my right. I would just ride around at a two-point... Works wonders for building your quads... You have no idea till you try it. A good way to get into it is the 2-pt for 10 seconds sit for 10, 2-pt for 9 sit for 9... and so on all the way down to one. It really helps, that and bareback riding. Try having yourself a ride-a-buck contest. If you don't know what that is, you ride around bareback with a $1 bill under your leg and the last person to lose their dollar gets to keep all the other ones. But you can do it with yourselves with leaves or pieces of paper. But horseback riding isn't all bad, although if you do it for too long, like any sport, you'll end up with a big fall/injury. Good luck getting back in the saddle everyone.
-Fran

I've come to the conclusion that listing my laundry list of things that happened to my knee isn't what people here need. What we all need is a nice lounge chair on a beach, some Jimmy Buffet, and some fruity drinks... So we can all work on our brace tans. 8)

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »
i dont think my horseriding has caused the problem, ut as very little is known about it they presume it is triggered by trauma and a genetic predisposition.  the only trauma on my knee is from riding.  i have to say i dont think my riding is helping though.  it leaves me in agony sometimes, but i never let it stop me, i cant.  its the only thing keeping me going, and hte only reason i havnt lost all the muscle in my leg.  i wasnt supposed to do any strenuous activity for at least a couple of weeks after my last op, but i was in hte saddle after just one week.  i felt soo good after that the pain was unimportant.  im lucky that my pony seemed to understand, its the only time he's ever behaved!  getting on a horse from crutches was a challenge though.
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Offline PennyL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
I didn't initially hurt my knee on horseback, but my most recent reoccurance of the injury was on horseback. I dislocated my patella 3 times when I was younger & I knew it had been getting loose again. Silly me I didn't wear my knee brace to ride.... the horse was fresh, decided to buck & my kneecap gave out :( It's been 2 weeks and it still hasn't "tightened" from the injury so I'll be seeing the OS next week (soonest they could get me in)

Offline Zimgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:56:15 AM »
I suffered a Tibial Plateau fracture from landing on my feet. Horse chipped in a short stride before a large spread and honest as he was made a big effort over the fence which slightly unseated me, then the little bugger bucked on landing, as if to say 'Geez Mum that was pretty crap', stayed on for the first and second bucks and thought 'oh well its not going to be too bad' as I sailed off and landed on my feet. OOPS! Horse buggers off back to stable. Husband catches him and says 'come on get back on'. I knew something was wrong and asked him to call the ambulance. He wouldnt believe it, went off to wash the horse down and put him away then ten minutes later comes over and tries to stand me on my feet. Thats when he started panicking and finally phoned the ambo. Its been two months and a bit now. I am between and walk and a hobble (a wobble I guess).

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »
I usually land on my butt or my face.  No, injuries to the knees.  In fact riding doesn't bother me knees.  Makes me question why I'm going to get surger ;D
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline WJD

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »
Runningislife, I hope you sued!

I didn't injure my knee riding, but in a skiing accident.  A "*%$$ german came down the slope too fast, and clipped the back of my skiis with his.  I fell forward and to the right and my left ski didn't come off.  Lay on the floor crying until someone could pick me up.  yuck.  24 hours on a coach going home that night didn't help with the swelling much. 

WJD
02/05 - ACL damage in a skiing collision.
01/06 - suspect lateral meniscus tear kneeling to change a DVD.
6/4/06 - Arthroscopy to remove meniscus bucket handle tear, ACL found to be ruptured. 
6/3/7 - Hamstring ACLR

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »
I injured my right knee when I was tipsy I gave my Sister a piggyback and fell down onto pavement at the time I felt no knee pain till the next morning when it was swollen and hurting. I could still go to work and pain was not too bad, now left knee hurts more then right which has never been injured that comes more when weather cooler.

Nick :) {2006} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Jo-knee

• Regular Poster
  • I will not give up.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »
I am the steward for stadium jumping at the event in my area.  I was changing the pin/ height on a standard and twisted my knee while trying to hang on to the pole; I also dropped the pole on my leg.  Ouch!  I think the actual damage came from the twisting part.  Didn't feel much pain until the next day. I got myself a torn lat meniscus and 2 grade 4 osteochondryl fratures on med fem condyle.   My life has changed dramatically.  I ride western mostly, camp and trailride with my horses.  I had to sell my aqha mare, but am able to ride my foxtrotters without too much discomfort most of the time.

Joanie
Gotta love that ice!  10/05 lat menisectomy, microfracture to 2 medial femoral defects.

Offline blue6226

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 06:06:08 AM »
Didn't do mine riding but continue to ride until next operation...probably not such a good idea - but i'll enjoy it while I can!
16 yrs old
fractured femur + dislodged cartilage lateral condyle
2nd stage maci surgery in dec

Offline by149561

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »
No .. doing MMA

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
Hi WJD

>>A "*%$$ german came down the slope too fast, and clipped the back of my skiis with his.<<< ???

How do you know he was a German? If he stopped he was obliged to give you his details, if he didn't then it could be any idiot on skis! I was once hit by a drunk Brit and have seen plenty of other ski accidents (collisions) involving lots of different nationalities. The worst are always the idiots who spend most of their time drinking alcohol in the mountain bars and restaurants.

I injured one knee in a collision (mentioned above) and the other slipping on ice on the way to the slopes.

When I rode I only injured my pride when I landed on my face or my backside, particularly while out hunting. Why is there always mud and water to land in when you fly over the head of your horse?

Sue (in Germany!)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline blossom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 01:18:04 AM »
I suffer recurrent patellar dislocations.  About 10 years ago, my boyfriend and I were visiting a cenral American country.  We saw some horses for rent and decided it would be fun to ride on the beach.  My horse freaked out and took off; slammed into my boyfriend's horse with my knee in between.  Neeless to say, I was on a galloping horse with a dislocated kneecap, hanging on for dear life  :o.  My boyfirend was laughing, unaware my kneecap was out....it was a terrifying experience.  The horse finally stopped and I had to swing my leg around straight to get the patella back in.  Anywyay I couldn't resist posting here when I saw the topic :P

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:42 AM »
Ahh... this brings back memories.

Ok so I was riding a horse I hadn't ridden before. And so this big Thoroughbred (a good 17hh) is a stallion and during my lesson a novice girl on a mare comes into the arena. I was cantering around and whenever I went by on her (she was walking on a slow, fat horse-pony), my horse would freak. He would rush, chew, cow-hop, and try to get as close to her as he could [while cantering] because it was that time of the year. It didn't help that he was coming off a layoff and was the definition of fresh. So I quit cantering and go to the center of the arena and my instructor asked her if she could try to stay away from us, that it would be very nice because Bayside kept acting up around the mare. The girl nodded and so I went on with my lesson. So my insturctor made out a course for me and in the middle of it, I turned the corner, and the girl on the mare is coming towards me:

(diagram time! even though I could write it out- I'm bored)

r       m       j u m p
                                                a       a       
                                                i        r
                                                l        e       j u m p
                                                        V         ^                                                           ^
                                                                  me

Ok so the stally takes a hard left right at the base of the jump. He still jumps it and catches my knee in the middle of the jump standard. Drags the standard a stride or two and proceeds to jump the next in the line x.x And I (naturally) pulled up and took my foot out of the stirrup. And my instructor asks why I stopped and to do the whole course again!!!! So I have to do it again. After the last jump I get off. My dad gets the horse (yes without cooling him off-- I wasnt thinking about that at the time) and I limp my way up. A barn girl comments on how my knee looks like the size of a cantalope. So she takes care with all the untacking/bath and I leave. I don't know exactly what happened in that accident though. I've gotten everytihng from nothings wrong to hyper-extension of the lateral collateral to a partial tear to the meniscus.
But that was my left knee. My right knee is a by-product of staying off my left and putting too much stress/weight on it. At least I think thats what happened... they aren't exactly sure... But I tried riding with a brace a couple times but riding was just too much for it. So I had to quit.  :'( [My avatar shows it all. But the horse in my av isn;t the one that messed it up].

And then to top all of it off: marching band. I'll post the picture of my favorite show moment when I can find it.

7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
Hmmm well I figured I should repost.  I posted on Page one last winter before I got injured riding my horse.. I fell off last may 15th. 11 months ago today.. and tore my ACL and damaged the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  Still not better, still not back to riding.. second opinion on Friday!  My horse chipped in at the base of a fence and I anticipated which is a big no no, but hey we all get lazy sometimes... this time i'm paying big time for being lazy.
I have tried riding a few times... but it's ends in me being in alot of pain by the time it's all over.

I missy riding my horse!!!! After missing last eventing season, I really thought i'd be back for this year, but it's not looking good.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline RickyHouse

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 03:32:28 AM »
can't say i've ever been on a horse...just seen them and fed them...
L knee scope 11/06/06
L knee Scope , Lateral release and TTT 08/20/07
Started therapy 09/08/07

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
Mine was horse riding.  I went to canter with my friend up a field on a pleasure ride and mine did a rodeo I managed to stay on for a while but when you are about three foot up in the air from your saddle you then realise there is a point of no return lol.  I landed flat on my face with some how my knee bent underneath me. Just had arthroscopy 3yrs later after they realised something must be wrong.

;D
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline cajahorse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »
I have fallen off my horses more times than I rode and I would love to say what happened this last time was a fall...but alas not.

We were feeding compressed bales of hay and every three days I would go up to the pasture (2.5 acres) and clip off the wire that held the bales. 

So that Saturday I went up to cut the wire and our TB mare had her food looped around one of the downed wires.  I thought I would step on the wire and she would just gracefully lift her hind leg...however she felt the pressure, freaked out and took off running. 

I was actually in the wire, it slid up my leg and my foot caught the sand. Snap, snap, snap and I went down, hitting my left knee on my right knee, snapping it back into some sort of place.  Oh and I discovered I had hit the ground so hard I bruised (thankfully did not break) my ribs on the left side. 

So now I am in the pasture, in extreme pain, the darn horse is free (luckily no vet bills there...) and the rest of the herd is starting to sniff me.   No one was home so what could I do but scream for help. 

10 minutes go by and I am I starting to go into shock as the full body of pain hits me.  Somehow a neighbor hears me and calls 911. 

So not a horseback riding accident, but nevertheless a "horse" accident.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
They do say that most horse related accident are from the ground and not necessarily on them.  Luck someone heard you bet that hurt  :o

Sue
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
Not the ponies this time.  I was walking both weimaraners, and I pushed the button to cross a large intersection.  Suddenly I noticed a couple with a dog preparing to cross the same street, so I beat a hasty retreat up on the lawn of the apt building on that corner.  This is the lawn most favored by all dogs for peeing and pooping.  I made the dogs sit and I held the year old male closest to me foolishly thinking that the older, diabetic female would behave.  Oops, the couple jogged at us with their dog.  Although I was feverishly yanking on the pinch collars and commanding "SIT" the female lunged forward followed almost simulataneously by the male dog.  I got launched like a water skier as the slack of the leashes disappeared.  Bam, I landed on my repaired knee and then my forehead, and I rolled on my filled poop bag.  The only thing that would've made it a funnier scenario would've been if the poop bag burst when I hit it.   The worst thing is my depression about not being able to walk the dogs together because they're so bad!  Now I'm facing another knee surgery and I'm begging and/or hiring friends to take care of the ponies, cats and dogs.
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
a horse would have been preferable. my friend claimed she knew how to ride a scooter, and the last thing i remember seeing before i woke up in a bush was a sign saying dangerous curve. unfortunately the sign was in spanish and we were in the middle of nowhere in mexico. a scooter behind us saw what happened, pulled me up to the side of the road (from a ravine) where  a nice young man in a VW bug picked me up and took me to the nearest mash unit. (he's probably still cursing me today, because i bled all over his car.) spent 3 days in the mash unit until a flight out could be arranged. the doctor came once a day and the nurse was there only until sunset, when she locked up and went home.  i was able to pay someone to get me food but i couldn't get any pain medication other than aspirin. by the time i landed in austin my knee was the size of a basketball, no joke. the doctors thought they'd have to amputate because of all the gas that showed up in the xray. all this happened nearly 30 years ago. low body weight and a very controlled lifestyle allowed me to keep my body parts until 3 months ago, when i finally traded in the knee. unfortunately, wear and tear on the other knee has been intense, so it's going soon too, as soon as i get over this first TKR. i love this site. i just wish i'd found it before i had my TKR. i would have been so much better prepared for facing the last 3 months!

Offline helsbels

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »
i had fell on my knee on a tuesday in 2004 by tripping over a board that we had up to prevent our dog getting out of the kitchen and into the rest of the house when we were out. unfortunatly i couldnt be bothered at the time to just move the board and tried to climb over it but unfortunatly caught my foot on it which made me fall knee first onto the kitchen floor tiles. i actually ended up putting my knee completly through the kitchen tile and shattered the tile to peices. but although i was in alot of pain i didnt get it checked out until the thurs because my fella had booked for us to go horse riding at the weekend and i thought id better just check i hadnt done anything serious to it before i went as it was still very swollen and painful. so i went to a&e on the thursday. they took an xray and said nothing wrong just bruised etc. so therefore i went riding at the weekend.
it was wicked as i hadnt been for a while (i used to go riding every week for years previously)  but as we were in agroup (one of riding trips with 5 other ppl) 3 of us wanted to canter on way back. so the other's went ahead and we waited till it was clear. of we went but as we went up a steep hill something spooked my horse (i was at the back of the rest ) and he jolted and moved suddenly to the left. i tried my best to hang on but he suddenly bolted up the hill and as i had already lost balance i fell off.

i dont know wether this did anything extra to my knee but im sure it wouldnt have helped it just 4 days after the fall. that was in 2004 and after a scope in 2005, im still unable to walk and still dont know what is wrong with the knee!
but once they find out the problem with whats wrong and i am able  to i will defo be getting back on a horse and doing it all again but preferbly without the fall!!

helen xxx
fell on knee aug 04
op jul 05 + physio
4 mri's between 05 + 07
5 steroid inj between 05 + 06
mri arthrogram 19th nov 07 - normal
3rd opinion os appt -aprl 11th 08
op jun 09
os discharged me aug 09!
physio 09-present
pain doc sendin me to pain management course-if get into it '2010
STILL CANT WALK!!!

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
Where are our guardian angels?
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline J-Okr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »
Wow....guess I'm not the only horse back rider on this site who's been grounded!!  I've been riding for about 15 years, and have had my fair share of injuries....mostly concussions (have ALWAYS rode with a helmut, thank god), or back injuries (shattered vertebra, compressed neck/C-spine, coutless injuries to hips), and I've survived all of them with out too many consequences...then just over a year ago riding my girl through a local park, she slips in mud and all 4 legs fly out from under her...I couldn't jump clear in time, and she landed on me, crushing my left leg under her.
Over a year later, and I still can't ride.  In fact, I can't do much other than walking or swimming, and even after doing those I have to ice my leg for the rest of the night.  Hopefully we'll find out soon what's going on in that knee/leg of mine!

Sorry to see there's other rider's here!

Offline LisaV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
Had problem knees since age 9 but like a fool took up karate and dislocated patella big time doing the most spectacular kick!

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Hello!

Yes I was injured horseback riding! I ride hunter/jumper and about 2 and a half years ago I was dragged over 16 jumps and sustained quite a few injuries but hurt both my knees. I am 16 now and just had surgery a few months ago (lateral release and medial reefing). I am still having problems though :( It was a very young horse. I am proud to say i got back in the saddle though when I was all healed. I was then recruited for a riding team and we compete internationally. I am currently in England at a competition and am in severe knee pain :( I am laso know homeschooled because of my intense training schedual. I have quite a collection of horses now though. Although I was injured riding I couldn't imagine my life wihtout it!!

support