Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PKR recovery update!!  (Read 31030 times)

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: PKR recovery update!!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 12:51:06 AM »
Hey UofSpider,

Cool a farm, what type of farm?

I have a friend that has a type of hobby farm, they have 2 pigs, 2 goats, 2 dogs, 2 sheep, 2 ducks we call it Noah's Ark they are sure on their way.

Has your mum have u milking the cows? - lol only joking.

I live in a bit city area, so going to the country and visiting is a great pastime for me, I am so relaxed there, it's like how the other half live, for me instead of great big mansions that the rich live, I'll take the country drive and fresh air any day!

Hey stephanie,  happy birthday to your daughter and is the move very far away from where u are now?

Not much happening for me at the moment going to the dentist tomorrow and preparing and looking into the last minute things for hospital.

Have a good day everyone.

Big hugs

JBL

My mother has cows on the property and we also use the land for hay.  It is very peaceful and she has a small pond where we fish (and relax).  I am not a city person after growing up in the country, but I do live in a city now....It took some adjusting...lol

I had another post-op appointment today and it went great!! No more crutches and I can resume activiites as tolerated (gym, work, etc).  I return in 6 weeks for another appointment.  I am continuing to do well....keeping my fingers crossed.   

I got the temp handicapp tag today (as stefanie recommended)...that should help a lot!
Good luck!!!
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 12:56:50 AM »
Hi Everyone!

UofRSpider...sounds like you are doing great!  Keep up with the physio to keep the quads strong!

Stefanie..you must be so excited to be moving to a larger home.  I'm feeling pretty old, as we are talking about downsizing!  I still have two kids at home, but I suspect once they are done University they will be moving out.  Actually, one did move out to attend school in another city, but after two years decided to come back home and finish school here.  Guess he likes the food..or the fact that there IS food!  I'm just wanting to get into a one-floor house now...just rather be finished with going up and down stairs all day.

JBL..your count-down to surgery is starting!

Take care everyone..including those I missed! ...Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 05:46:21 AM »
Hello everyone!! Wow - everyone seems to be in good spirits!  It's exciting - it's summer, must be the reason.......  ;D

JBL - we are going to remodel the house before we move in - carpet, paint, countertops, new bathrooms, just the works!  I'm excited - this house has a hot tub & we're going to get a pool - will be really good therapy for these ole' knees!  ;)
We live on 14th & we are moving to 23rd - so not too far  ::)  We live in a VERY small town - so not considered a big move!  ;)

Kath - how many kids do you have?  We have 3 & they keep us so incredibly busy!  We desperately needed a bigger home, as we were beginning to get a little crowded.

Good News - we sold our house (current residence) tonight!  We only put it on the market on Sunday & showed it Monday to a young couple & they bought it - we signed the contract tonight!  What a relief - just goes to show it was meant to be!

Okay JBL - have you come up with any last minute questions for the rest of us recoveree's?  I might suggest getting yourself a shower seat & a stool in your bathroom to prop your leg up on while sitting on the potty - excuse the honesty - but why not make it easier for you - right?  ::)  Do you have a bag or something you could tie onto your walker after you get home?  It sure makes carrying the phone & other goodies around the house while in transit easier.  The phone NEVER seemed to ever ring until I was half way thru the house & just between a cordless phone left in the bedroom & the phone on the wall in the kitchen - gggrrrr!  Although, looking back it was comical.  I can remember one time, standing in the hallway & trying to decide which way was shorter to get to the phone - couldn't decide!  Between pain medication altering my thought process & the knee fussing at me - I just began to laugh & say "ahhh, to heck with it - that is why we have caller ID"

I'm getting exciting for you JBL - this is going to be such a blessing for you!  If you come up with any questions or concerns - please don't hesitate.

Spider - sounds like you are just getting around wonderfully!  It is really nice, isn't it?  Those PKR's are truly amazing!  Keep us posted!!

Talk to you all soon!

~Stefanie  :D

89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 08:09:17 AM »
Hey everyone,

Uof Spider - Congrats on the great news from the post op appointment, it can only get easier now and better day by day  - can I borrow your crutches? - lol   ;)

Stef - Since I have visited this boardroom, I have found out so much info from yours and other experiences and hope I have all the bases covered so to speak and feeling a bit or maybe alot confident that all is going to go well after surgery  because you all have come thru it!   :)

Anyway, in preparation I am taking the basics to hospital, and because I live on my own with my two dogs, my parents will look after them, they said I can go and live with them for awhile till I get over the outcome but my dogs are human treated dogs (very spoiled) they live inside and are very boisterous and I don't want to go back to my flat on my own in case something happens, so I have opted to be an inpatient at a rehab facility perhaps only for a few days to get over it till I get home and be on my one once again and get strong before the dogs come home too, we will all have a holiday - lol  ;), l hope this works Ok, I have good vibes that it will work out it'll take some pressure off so to speak, otherwise I am healthy!

I do have a question thou, u said about the shower seat and  stool, I was thinking also of getting a toilet riser on hire how long did u use these things, since I am going to rehab maybe I won't need them, by the time I get home.  Like U of Spider is now off crutches it took a few weeks and walking well now,  would it also be only a few weeks for the bathroom products for use and then I can send them back, I do not want to become dependent on them.

I think my mind is playing tricks thou, I have been losing a great deal  of weight with doing floor exercises, knowing that it is good for the implant so it will last longer and not have the added weight strain, but in the process I am feeling well with lots of energy, but when I sit and watch TV in relaxing mode I feel what is all the fuss about the pain has eased and do I really need this surgery. Since I do very little activity to annoy the knees, I am not working and doing chores on a daily basis because I am doing pain management from a book I have read, and then if I do an acitivty like going to the shops I then struggle and grit my teeth to keep walking, I feel that I should do something drastic just to convince myself that this is what is  happening, did u feel like this before surgery and what did u do?  Is it just the blues before surgery?  If I do too much the pain is unbearable so I do very little activity to get thru the days, now I feel I have to do the most activity and have the unbearable pain just to convince myself that surgery is what is needed, with only a few weeks away.

Any ideas?

Till next time ....  Take care everyone have a good day....

Hugs

JBL

20/10/04  BILATERAL SCOPES
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »
From my first surgery I found that a backpack comes in handy with crutches!!! Get one!  Good luck!!
May 2005 - PKR

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2005, 04:59:58 AM »
JBL - I think that you are feeling nervous about the upcoming sugery - while it's exciting all at the same time.  Normal to feel & "wonder" if the pain is maybe getting better.  I felt some hesitation leading up to my first replacment, but was quick to realize the pain with each step!  Kind of like a "bad hair day" - you'll have a weeks worth, then the day of your haircut appt. there it is - a WONDERFUL hair day!  Happens to me all the time!  ;)

Sounds like you've got everything in order!  I used my shower chair for probably a month, some days were better than others - but there were always the days that I might be a little more tired, so it was nice to have! 

Don't make your knee any madder at you than it already is.  I wouldn't think that straining things would be a good idea leading up to your surgery date.  Hang in there!

~Stefanie
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2005, 06:17:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

Yep Stefanie I am nervous and I know the knees will only get worse not better as time goes on, and I dooo need to get back to work for the finances, I worked as a temp (casual) receptionist for employment agencies, where I worked all over the city at any given time, and the reason I don't take the jobs now when offered is because I don't know what the environment of the offices would be like, eg. stairs, walking distances to facilities and I limp with pain (not a good look) and if my car broke down I would have to use public transport, alot of my clients that I worked for were professional corporate clients, environments very upmarket, suits to be worn, and would need to get up and down off the chair all the time not just sitting and answering the phone all the time, receptionists do alot of movement depending on what tasks are involved.    :-\

The last job I had (October), the mail room was behind the reception desk, so when I did the mail the phone would ring and hence have to go back and forth to do the phone and mail, I just couldn't do it the knees hated it, so I decided to wait and have surgery done but since I had the scopes done and visited a few other OS's for other opinions, time has lasped to longer timeframe than I wanted, I hoped to have this done months ago but the OS's timetable's have been very busy waiting along time for appointments.   ???

So I have been on welfare and the welfare system is a bit uneasy that it has taken so long for me, to be out of work they want be to go back to work, me too, but I don't think I can cut it in the real world it would be too much, so yes a bit nervous about this whole episode just want it over and done with and get back to normal life with no hassels.. one day I feel good and think I could cut it, the next as u put it a bad hair day  ::), I don't know what the next day brings, don't want to upset my employers if I have to then ring the boss and say I can't come in, not a good situation for my employers to then have to find someone else to cover me, so I have taken the easy way out and stayed home, till I feel confident I can go back to work, I just remember the excrutiating pain I had from my last job that I worked at not good, the girl who relieved me for my breaks just said to go and have a walk get away from the desk, in my head I would then say yeah right easy for you to say.   :-X

Now I do very little and the knees are not so bad with the loss of weight and the exercises - rest, not rushing around all the time, but it still hurts to walk and I do it at my own pace not rushed, rushed i get extra pain. 

Friends say this is no way to live, get the knees done.  Hence the dilemma.

Sorry Stefanie just got a bit emotional then and very wordddy, its the time factor, time heals all wounds, just got to wait and see what happens, in the next chapter of JBL - LOL (these are the days of our lives)

OHHH  UofSpider yes I have a backpack and will use thanks.

Well everyone have a good day, thinking of you all.

Lots of Hugs

JBL

08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Stef, I have 4 kids...3 of my own and a daughter-in-law who is like a real daughter!  Since my son and his wife have their own home, we are down to having just the 4 of us at home. 

JBL..you are sounding nervous about your surgery!  Perfectly normal, but I can reassure you from personal experience, it is well worth it!  I am attending a wedding today and it will be a good test for my new knees...I plan on dancing the night away!  That was a thought I wouldn't even have had a year ago.  I'm sure the added pressure of not working is also affecting how you are feeling, but hang in there...these things have a way of working themselves out!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 02:09:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks Kath, yes I am getting nervous, its the unknown type of thing happening, just want to fast forward to 1/1/06 no hassels that would be sooo cool and start all over again and with new year resolutions.   :D

I promise no more histerics, hanging in there, breath, breath - lol   :P

I am thinking now if its a TKR (it's a boy) and if it's a PKR (it's a girl) since I do not have kids and don't know what I am getting on the day, it will be a surprise when I wake up. - light humour - lol   ;)

Have a fantastic time at the wedding it sounds great, is it a family or friends  wedding?

Everyone have a good day..

Till next time

Big Hugs   :-*
JBL

08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »
Hello all!  Just about to turn in for the night.  We've had a house full of company, had friends & their families over for a cookout!  Tomorrow is Father's Day - so hope everyone has a happy one!  Having our own family over tomorrow for yet, another cookout!  ;D

JBL - don't worry - please vent all you need!  Hysterics is completely acceptable around here - we've all been there! 

Kath - hope the wedding was great & you danced until the wee hours of the morning!

Spider - hope the ole' knee is still cooperating & doing well!

~Stef

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
PKR recovery update!! (4-weeks post-op)
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 12:30:23 PM »
Exactly 4 weeks post-op and doing very well.   I am now walking without crutches or cane (I do use a cane for really long distances)!!   My knee feels great and no pain  ;D

I am going to the gym in the afternoons and SLOWLY doing some exercises and stretching.   Glad to read that everyone is doing great!!! 

This is a great procedure and now I am hoping it will last for many years to come!!

My OS has approved returning to work and also playing golf  ;D (something I have not been able to do in 9 months)...I am excited now!!

Thanks again for the suport!!   More updates to come!
May 2005 - PKR

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2005, 12:54:11 AM »
Hey Uof Spider,

Very Happy to see all is going well for you,  :)  at the gym do you use weights on your ankles to keep the strenghth up on the muscles,  what do you do at the gym?

Do you still see a PT or are u on your own now?

I have received my info on what appointments to expect after the procedure like xrays etc, how often do you have these done, the info said it was to make sure the implant was still in its place.

Uof Spider and Everyone, have a fantastic day..    :D

Bigs Hugs   :-*
JBL
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2005, 11:45:02 AM »
At the present time I am not using weights on my ankles.  I will slowly graduate to them however.  I never really had PT other than a PT coming to my home to evaluate me and show me some exercises.  I wanted it but my OS felt like I did not need it (maybe because of my young age??) if I went to the gym and worked out. 

I currently do the stationary bike, walking on a padded track, and a lot of stretching...

I have to get xrays done yearly to make sure the implant is seated properly and detect any abnormalities. My OS is hoping to catch the implant before it wears out and do a revision and buy more time.

I am going to try and golf (hitting a very FEW balls) this weekend (hopefully) and slowely get back playing. 

When is your surgery date JBL? 
May 2005 - PKR

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
My surgery date is 8th July 05, two and a half weeks to go, and physically and mentally trying to get myself into action, I believe I have covered everything pre surgery like weight and muscle strenghth making sure my flat is OK when I come home (easy bit) that does not hurt much  :P,  all that is left is the post surgery I think this is what everyone dreads and me too, but I will come out on your side of the fence, and have some good groovy music to get my mind off what the pain is and think of other things.   :)

Not sure what else to do, taking basics to hospital since I am only there for a few days, my dogs will be at my  parents, I have a walker that someone has given me to use, and will have a shower seat and riser for the bathroom, just in case.
And the backpack I will have that's a good idea I did not think of that one, the walker does'nt have a basket so the backpack can be on the seat.

I am not sure what else to do that's left, other than to get better with drugs, rest and exercise

Golf that's fantastic what's your handicap, I used to play, stopped playing about ten years ago couldn't do the 4 hour walk, but watch it alot on the tv just finished seeing the US Open, my handicap back then was about 20, I miss playing because the courses here are very relaxing walks we have alot of birds or other animals that are around which made it even more exciting as a sport.

I then took up eightball so I am hanging out for that day to come when I can take my cue out of its case dust the cobwebs off and to start playing comps again, talk about withdrawal systems......   ::)

Have a great hit. 

Hugs
JBLl
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 12:25:17 AM »
Sounds like everyone is doing well....glad to hear it! 

Spider - sounds like things are really moving along well for you - way to go!  Hope golf is enjoyable & you do well.....I'm sure you'll feel like a whole new person, without pain now!  ;)

JBL - I know you are really watching the calendar, can't help but watch it!  Sounds like you've got all your "ducks in a row" so to speak.  You sound very organized!   ;)

Keep us posted on everything that is going on in your lives.......

~Stef   ;D