Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PKR recovery update!!  (Read 31028 times)

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
PKR recovery update!!
« on: May 26, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
Well, I had surgery on Monday the 23rd and am at home recovering from a PKR.  Pain (and now swelling) are the biggest issues. The swelling has gotten so that I cannot do the exercises because of the pain. I am going to call my OS today and see if I need to come in and be seen (maybe a slight infection?). 

My OS was very pleased with the surgical outcome.  He said that this should last for 10-15 years (maybe longer) if I treat it right and live by my knee.   The OS said the rest of my knee was in "pristine" condition.  Instantly I noticed that the pain is completely gone from where the problem was and I just have the surgical pain to deal with. 

October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
Re: PKR recovery update!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »
Hey UofRSpider,

WELCOME HOME ![/font]

Congratulations,

Good to see u have come home, sorry that all is not well at the moment, will get better soon.

Did u have antibiotics before surgery, I have read that this is needed before the operation for infection not to occur.

Maybe u need stronger pain relief, did u get the spinal block for the pain when in hospital.

Anyway see what ur doctor says.

Lots of HUgs    :-*

JBL

20/10/04  BILATERAL SCOPES
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:25:22 PM »
Hey Spider!  Good to know you're home & the surgery was so successful! I'm curious.......I did not have a drain tube with my first PKR, but the 2nd time I did.  I'm telling you what, that made a huge difference in my pain levels & swelling.  I'm convinced that so much of the pain comes from the swelling.  Just wondering if your OS inserted a drain tube?

Hope the pain will diminish soon & you'll be back up on your feet really soon!

~Stefanie  :)
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
This is sort of funny....I just got back from my OS and had 80 to 100 cc's of blood and fluid drawn off my knee.  I did havd a drain tube/ pump installed in the hospital but it was removed the second draw defore discharge. 

I did have antibiotics in my IV but was just prescribed more as a precaution.  Other than that I am doing very well now!
May 2005 - PKR

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 06:16:10 AM »
Glad you were able to get some relief.  Hope the recovery continues so well for you!

Keep us posted!

89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:24:57 AM »
Good news all is turning out for the better.

Now for the healing process is in order, remember patience.    :P

Lots of Hugs    :-*

JBL
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 06:13:12 PM »
Today (Monday) is exactly 1 week post-op!
Well another evening in the ER to have more fluid removed (80 more cc's) and check again for infection, blood count, etc....I hate the ER.  Everything else is working well though.  I am putting ice on my knee 15 minutes every hour and staying off it as directed by my OS.  Pain is definately reduced and still no pain from the previous bad area of my knee!!  ;D

The swelling makes it hard to have good movement but my OS tells my that my ROM is excellent and to not worry.  I start PT this week so we will se how it goes!

So far I am very happy with the decision I made to do the PKR.

May 2005 - PKR

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:59:56 PM »
How old are you UofRSpider?? Was it medial or lateral?? and why exactly did you have the PKR??

Thanks,

Heather ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:01:30 PM by heather k from wales »
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:06:34 AM »
How old are you UofRSpider?? Was it medial or lateral?? and why exactly did you have the PKR??

Thanks,

Heather ;)

Hi Heather, I am 34 years old and the damage was on the medial femoral chondyle (spelling?).  To sum up my knee problem(s), a second opinion OS (my current OS) states it all started with varus deformity that led to totally screwing up my articular cartilage, and then some of my femur (not to mention the damage from Oct. '04 microfracture that made my knee worse).   OS did not recommend an osteotomy (and I did not want one either) for my condition.
May 2005 - PKR

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 01:19:21 AM »
Hey JBL...great news that you are on the road to recovery! ...Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 07:17:16 AM »
Thanks for that UofRSpider. 
How about you Stephanie, how old were you when you had a PKR?? Was it medial or lateral?? and why exactly did you have the PKR??
Or anyone else who's had a PKR, also what type did you have?? and are you pleased with the results??

Thanks,

Heather
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 12:58:46 PM »
Hi UofSpider and everyone,

Hope all is well.

Sorry Kath not yet in Hospital, due to go in on the 8th July for PKR possible TKR, and as perhaps like everyone else I wish it would hurry up the waiting is becoming a bit of a problem, friends and family keep saying I am wishing my life away, but I want it all to be over and get on with my life, AS LIFE BEGINS AT 40.

It is so refreshing to know u all have been thru your different experiences and gives a little of an incite as to know what to expect so I would like to say a big THANKYOU TO U ALL  ;D

All have a great day,     :P

BIG HUGS

JBL

08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11:29 PM »
Below is a link to the PKR used for my knee.  The OS used the fixed-tibial implant rather than the mobile-bearing implant. So far so good!

http://www.preservation-uni.com/xq/ASP/page.home/id.64/qx/default.htm

May 2005 - PKR

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
JBL...sorry about that...I did know you were going in this summer!  I'll be tracking your progress!

UofRSpider & Heather K - I had Depuy PKRs in November, both knees.  I'm doing great and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this surgery based on my experience!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »
Hi Heather!  Are you considering having this done & how old are you?  I was 33 when I had my PKR's - I will be 1 year post-op on July 8th for the right knee & doing marvelous!  My replacement was to the medial side in both knees.  I had the left knee done in October.  I have had no complaints, I struggled very much with the decision to have it done - just because of my age.  I couldn't find anyone on this site that had, had it done so young - but I went ahead & took the plunge! 

I would say I'm very close to 100% pain free - I have a wonderful surgeon and this particular surgery is very dependant on their skills. The success of it weighs very much on their ability to get the leg back into alignment. 

The way I finally reached my decision was because at my age, I should be able to enjoy my children, going to the park, grocery shopping, going to the mall with friends or even cleaning house should not be so painful.  I had gotten to the point where I was missing out on everything, because the pain kept me down & in tears.  The depression was horrible & the pain was even worse!  However, now that I have had it done & gone thru my recovery - I am active again & enjoying life!   ;D

Here's to modern medicine & wonderful orthopedic surgeons!!