Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question, please help me  (Read 920 times)

Offline reinerchica

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question, please help me
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:02:11 AM »
Ok I have bad knees.  When I went to the os, he said that it is from an imbalance in my muscles and assigned me to pt.  When I got to pt, she aid that my hip is really weak and that is what the problem is from.  Then after trying ultrasound and exercises on my knee(s) she found that it wasn't working and then the last two times she has had this machine that sends shocks or something htat feels like bee stings into my knee to put steroids there.  She told me that she thinks that I have something that starts with a P (I can't remember ~my first question is if anyone knows what it is).  It has to do with excess tissue in my knee.  She said that I would most likely need a scope done.  (2nd question~ what's a scope, what's the pain level from it, and what's the recovery time, oh yeah and do you need crutches right after it?)  I was wondering what I should not do so that I don't make it worse.  I guess a better way to state that question is doing what would make it worse?  I am leaving on Monday (the 30th) for an internship with my horse trainer all summer and I usually run about ten miles two ta three times a week when I'm up there.  My parents say that I am mature enough to deal with/ figure out this stuff on my own.  I mean my mom went with me to the appt. with the os but they are having me figure stuff out with the pt and making another appt. and stuff with that.  I am 17, scared, and in pain.  Please if you know any answers to any of this, let me know.  Thank you so much!!!!!!

Jamie N
Montana cowgirl/ soccer player/ major lifter
*Jamison Neuhoff*
*Soccer, horses, weight lifting*
*Medial Meniscal Repair*
*17 Year old*

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Question, please help me
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 05:19:36 AM »
Hi there
I cant help you with a diagnosis, but I did want to say that a scope is where they will put a little camera inside your knee or ankle or what ever and have a look around at what might be wrong.  If you are lucky they will be able to fix what ever they find through the same little tiny hole they make and you should be up and about in days.... but that does really depend on what they find and what they do about it.

I had an ACL reconstruction done about 3 weeks ago,,... they went in and did a scope first and found that I'd completely snapped my ACL and so they fixed it and made me a new one out of part of my hamstring tendon.  If you look at my knee now it looks like I cut it on a fence or something... it is hardly a scratch at all and a few little holes where they put the cameras.  IT is nothing. 

I'd suggest that if you are in lots of pain and doing the things that you'd normally do and want to keep doing makes it hurt, then you probably should consider surgery.... you are only young, you have a lot of living to do on those knees yet, so if I was you, I'd be looking to find some answers.  I felt the same way about my knee, I'm 29 and play lots of sports, after I hurt my knee I couldnt carry heavy loads or even run with out problems.... so for me there was no question... I wanted my knee sorted out.  I was scared to death about all the surgery stuff.... and it went like a breeze...... And although the rehab for me is tough... Im so glad that I did it.   

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 05:47:48 AM »
I think the excess tissue is Plica Syndrome, and it is often the sign of an underlying problem like poor knee mechanics.

There is a lot of information here to help you figure out what may be going on in your knee, and lots of people (many your age) going through this.  Go down to the patello-femoral syndrome section and read posts on PFS, plica syndrome, mal-tracking, and mal-alignment.  Go to the main kneeguru.co.uk page, click on general info, and read Step 5 (I think--about the patella) to understand better what may be going on.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline reinerchica

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:12:16 PM »
Thanks for all of your advice.  Before when I would go in for my pt, I couldn't remember exactly where the sharpest pains were so I started to draw where they were on my knees.  Well when I went in yesturday the therapist said that the pain was too high for a torn maniscus (on the inside ~ os said it was rare to tear it there) then she showed me where the pain would be for it.  Well that is where I usually have the pains (the spot that it would be for the torn maniscus If they did a scope, could they see if it was torn?  I guess I'm just really nervous about having problems.  My boyfriend had a lateral release done to his knee and he is having problems with recovery.  He pushed himself I guess, but his stress and pain has got me really worried.  Thank you for all of y'alls help.  I am so glad that I have support here from people who know what they are talking about. 

Jamie N :-\
*Jamison Neuhoff*
*Medial Meniscal Repair*
*17 Year old*

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »
Hey Reinerchica...
I'm a fellow rider so I KNOW how frustrating knee problems can be....and disruptive when you are riding.
A SCope is usually a GOOD step when nothing else seems to be helping or they aren't sure what's going on. You said that your PT thought you had weak hips? Did she give you exercises to help with this? My PT discovered this about me, and while it's genetic he did feel that RIDING didn't help that any. I have lot's of exercises for my hips too and they have helped make me more stable.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline reinerchica

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »
Hey all again,
   Yeah, my pt says that my left hip is really weak.  I can pop it out whenever I want.  I guess the technical term is i can make it sublocate.  She has given me some exercises but I am a serious athlete/ work out aholic so she doesn't want me doing too much.  I am leaving in four days to go up to my horse trainers for the summer to intern with him.  The hardest part about my internship, now, is that I do reining so we use our legs/ knees to control the horse a lot and not as much our arms.  I am just afraid of what will happen when I come back.  I have to make an appt. with my os for a follow up on pt also.  I am scared of surgery but know I'll do it if needed.  I would really like to know if I am going to need crutches if I get a scope and also how long, usually, it'd be before I can walk again.  Y'all thank you so much for your help. 

Jamie N
*Jamison Neuhoff*
*Medial Meniscal Repair*
*17 Year old*

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »
Have you had an MRI?  While it's far from perfect, it would be another tool in diagnosing a possible menisucus tear.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline reinerchica

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
No I haven't had an MRI  When I went in, the os said that it was a muscle imbalance or a tear but he doubted a tear so he said it wasn't necessary but my pt thinks I should so i'm probably going to when I go back.  In Montana we dont have the best docs (even though my dad is a doc)  Thanks.

Jamie N
*Jamison Neuhoff*
*Medial Meniscal Repair*
*17 Year old*