Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured ACL advice  (Read 596 times)

Offline rugbyjules

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured ACL advice
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »
Hi all,

I'm totally new to this forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice on ACL reconstruction pls:

I injured my right knee about 4 weeks ago while playing rugby.  Didn't think much of it at the time as it was more uncomfortable than really painful but the next day I could bend or straighten my leg or weight-bear.  I went to the hospital where they said it was probably a meniscus tear and i was given crutuches and told to rest / not weight bear for a while.  After a follow-up appt on the NHS I got an MRI scan arranged (through work private heath insurance) from which I found out that i'd totally torn my ACL.

Aftyer seeing a consultant I've pretty much decided now to have the ACL reconstruction but my follow-up appt with the consultant to finalise this is now not until the beginning of july.  I was told I'd need to use the time until then to build up my knee and regain full mobility.  I've done a fair amount of work in the gym since then and almost have full movement again (all be it with a bit of pain at full bend or straighten).  Would I be able to ask about getting the op done earlier than this at all does anyone know, or is there a definite gap between injury and when they will operate? (All this I know presumes that even going private that I'll be able to get an op arranged soon).  I guess I'm just a bit impatient and want to start rehab asap to minimise any time that I'm out of playing rugby!!

I know these worries are fairly small-fry compared to some others I've read about on the board but any advice / experience people have about this (and esp rehab time after op before playing contact sports again) would be v much appreciated

Cheers

Jules

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
Re: Ruptured ACL advice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »
Hi rugger...can't answer question re time before surgery with any expertise (personal experience was my OS was ready to do surgery after one month rehab post-injury..I, however, was still trying to avoid it :) ), but with regard to return to contact sports, you'll find a poll with comments posted on the Cruciate ligaments board.  Hope it helps. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline clhimes

• Regular Poster
Re: Ruptured ACL advice
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »
My doctor, in the States, wanted to wait until the swelling had subsided, my other ligaments had healed, and I had full ROM--about 8 weeks. As it turns out, because of my own schedule I'm waiting about 5 months.  The harm in waiting is 1) like you, I'd just like to move on and 2) I have a fair amount of instability, so walking is still a little awkward.  The good side is that my leg will be stronger than I think it ever has been by then!
Chris
48 y/o professor
Feb 13. 2005  skiing injury
Mar 2005 MRI shows ACL rupture, Grade III MCL and Grade II LCL sprains
ACL recon (hamstring) July 28, 2005

support