Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee/Leg pain while sitting?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline badkneedgal

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • A Day in the Life
Knee/Leg pain while sitting?
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:27:32 PM »
I had an unusual weekend in that I was sitting (in car) for 8 hours Fri and again Sunday....and sitting alot in between as well -- oh love these out of town Bar Mitzvahs! :)

Did I mention eating?...Felt like I was being fattened for the slaughter!!! ;D

I started experiencing leg pain (lower thighs front of leg-to the tops of my knee caps) while just sitting. Of course the "normal pain" I have while going up and down stairs was still there as usual. Standing or bar stools was the most comfortable option- but why would I have pain while doing nothing but sitting? is this a "restless leg" symptom?
Osteoarthritis, patellar tracking prblems in both knees, in 1st round of physical therapy
Probable Meniscus tear right knee, Surgery scheduled for 2/3/06

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
Re: Knee/Leg pain while sitting?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:58:47 PM »
sounds like what I get after only a couple hours if that! (Have it right now actually) I'm not exactly certain what causes it. But I think it's something to do with messed up alignment or muscle imbalance or something.

Offline Daisy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I'll grow up one day!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:39:49 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I've thought for years I was just a fidgety pain in the bum! If I stay in one position for a period of more than five minutes I start getting pain in the areas you described. If i leave it and don't move, it then goes down my calves and to the soles of my feet!

I agree with Proff. I had LRs on both my knees. For a while they worked but then they gradually went back to their original position and it started all over again!   
Hereditary patella maltracking. Hypermobile. Numerous Dislocation L Knee. Open LR 01/1993. LR R knee 07/1995. Lots of PT. Bad subflux 03/2005.Trochlear dysplasia.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 04:57:02 PM »
It could also be nothing.  I've had knee problems for years (since I was 12 years old).  And I drive long distances (5+ hours) on average about once a month.  Guess what - the body was not designed to sit in the car for hours on end.  We rarely sit with good posture in the car, and we end up with aching backs, knees, hips, etc.  It doesn't matter if you're in the driver's seat or a passenger, you just get stiff when sitting in limited space for hours on end.

The best thing to do for your body will, unfortunately, really slow you down.  Every 1-2 hours stop the car.  Get out.  Walk around.  I don't mean run into the rest stop bathroom, but actually spend at least 5-10 minutes walking around, and  getting the blood flowing again.  Stretch out the muscles.  Or do what most of us do - drive as long as you can.  Stop when you need gas or a restroom.  And pop some motrin along the way.  You'll get there stiff, but sooner.

But an 8 hour car ride will cause EVERYONE stiffness somewhere in the body.  Don't worry about it.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)