Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy & Lateral Release  (Read 1001 times)

Offline claude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopy & Lateral Release
« on: May 23, 2005, 03:43:55 PM »
With knees it seems to constantly be trial & error involving alot of pain.  I am due to have both an arthroscopy and a lateral release on my right knee.  Feeling very worried about doing it but can't put up with the pain and the restricitions (especially as I have a toddler).
What is the recovery period for the op?  I did have an arthroscopy in 99/00 but my knee has got so much worse.
Any understanding advice???

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
Re: Arthroscopy & Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:03:01 PM »
Hi Claude

Everyone heals differently, however, I've had the same op and my doc signed me off work for 2 weeks.  I was hopping around (no crutches) after 2 days of bed rest.  I was sore and had limited movement for about 3/4 weeks.
Take it easy as much as you can ( I know it can be hard with a little one).  They gave me some exercises to do each day after my op and before the physio, these we're really simple but stopped my joints ceasing up.

Have they said what's actually wrong with your knee?

Good luck and keep us posted
Beth
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline claude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:39:37 PM »
Hi Beth - Thanx for your feedback.

The doctors seem unsure about the actual problem with my knee. 
It started out with occassional extreme pain (mostly at night).  I then had the arthroscopy where they say the removed inflammed cartilage.
But it has got increasingly worse and I now have daily restrictions.
I have been having weekly hydrotherapy and have mainly been working on the alignment of my knee.
When standing with my legs straight my right knee faces towards the left instead of facing straight.  Recently when I get the extreme pain my knee moves to the left, swells and I get pins & needles in my toes.  Does anyone experience this?  And have any suggestions of remedies?

I am not at ease about having surgery again, and have been told it is a 50/50 chance of having a positive effect.
Fingers crossed.
I have not been informed as yet of the recovery period.  If you have any info on recovery this would be much appreciated as I need to drive and take public transport in order to get to and from work.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »
Hi Claude,

Sorry you're in so much pain on a daily basis.

You said that you OS doesn't really know what's wrong with your knee but has suggested a lateral release with a 50 - 50 chance of helping?  Please get a second or third or fourth opinion. Get your medical records from your OS and see others, look for an OS that specializes in knees.  From what I know, and I'm not a MD, lateral releases by themselves are only for a tilted patella, and that would usually mean that the right patella is tilted towards the right side of the right knee.  In this case a lateral (outside) release would let the patella move more medially (towards the center) and travel in the trochlea (grove on the femur) in a normal fashion.

Let us know how you're doing.

H U G s !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline erind292

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 11:00:04 PM »
Hi Claude, Sorry to hear of your knee problems.
Right now I am 5 weeks post op from a lateral release and arthroscopy.  I too suffered with constant pain but mine was due to chronic dislocations of my right knee.  Like Beth said, everyone heals differently.  I am having a really bad time with my recovery and it certainly has not been easy.  I am still on crutches, with partial weight bearing only.  I can not bend my knee very much but I can't totally straighten it yet either.  The pain is not so bad and it was tolerable after surgery as long as you take your pain meds on time.  I was also told by my OS that I had a 50-50 chance of this surgery working.  I have no idea if it did or not, but it is still quite early to tell.  I certainly don't mean to scare you off, but I agree with rozzzie to get a second or third opinion.  I wish I did.
Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Erin
04/05 - LR Right knee

Too many dislocations to count

support