Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My knee is locking - help!  (Read 6672 times)

Offline newksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My knee is locking - help!
« on: May 23, 2005, 02:13:21 PM »
My knee has been locking when I crouch down or kneel down - I have two small children so find that I am constantly crouching down. I did increase my gym visits in March and April and made a lot of fitness progress but in the last few weeks my knee has locked. Six days ago I was working at an exhibition and crouched down to put something in a cupboard. My knee completely locked and I was in excruciating pain for 10-20 minutes. I nearly fainted and felt very sick and clammy. I couldn't straigten it for at least 20 minutes and couldn't stand on it. The medics at the exhibition gave me a tubigrip to get me home - in a taxi. I went to A&E and they told me to take Ibuprofen and rest when possible. It's still feeling quite weak to bend. I can't crouch down. I can walk with no pain at all but cannot bend it properly. Any thoughts?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: My knee is locking - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »
Hey !!

Did they do Mri or x-rays on your knee at A&E and did a orthopeadic surgeon specialized on knees look at it ? If your knee will lock you probably have a loose body in it, maybe mensicuspiece. I would go see a orthosurgeon specialized on knees if I were you.
Hope you get help soon, I'm mother of 2 myself and know how fit you need to be to take care of them.

Sunny hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline newksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply! I saw the GP and he thinks it is a torn cartilage and has referred me to an OS on 16.6.05. I hope I can last that long - it's ok to do most things but I can't bend down!
Knees crossed.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:29:45 PM »
Hey,
I have the exact same problem as you, when I go into a deep knee squat my knee locks. Mostly this is because of a cartilage tear but can sometimes be because of loose peices of stuff floating around in the knee. if you can, try to get in with a sports med doc or another OS so you can get in quicker than wiating almosta month! Goodluck!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline newksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 11:17:28 PM »
I saw the OS last week and he booked me for a MRI scan on 20 June. I see him again on 30 June to discuss the results but he agreed that it could be a meniscal (spelling?) tear causing my problem. It hasn't been so bad since the last episode and I feel like I can do almost anything again but I'm so anxious that the excruciating pain could return if it locks again!
I'll let you know what he says next week.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 11:23:39 PM »
Glad to hear your getting some answrs now, and its good youll get that locking controlled too!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Durga

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 04:45:57 PM »
Friend,
Sounds like a torn meniscus to me...after an MRI diagnosis, you'll be more certain. My symptoms sound exactly like yours, can't crouch, or bend my knee more than 90 degrees. I was diagnosed with two medium tears six months ago, and it didn't start locking until about a month ago...it's strange because sometimes I can swim/cycle/dance with very minimal pain, but the other day I was just pushing a cart in the supermarket and it locked.  Takes a while and some manipulation to unlock, and it is painful.  Well, I've opted for meniscus repair or possible partial or total removal...as holistic as I am, and after trying several alternative therapies from PT to Ayurvedic massage/pills/oils, I'm going under.  Good luck. Durga

Offline newksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 01:19:48 PM »
Hi all, thanks for your replies!
I saw the OS last week and he showed me the films from the MRI scan. I have some worn cartilage on the underside of my kneecap (chrondromalacia patellae) and a flappy bit that seems to be causing the problem. My OS recommends no squatting, running (hurrah), kneeling, bending down etc for 3-6months and hopes that it will repair. If, however, I have continuous problems with it he will trim the flappy piece away.
It hurts a little going upstairs but otherwise is fairly normal. My next door neighbour has been on crutches with bursitis for a week now and I feel fine compared to her!! But she celebrated her 40th on crutches at the weekend and I'm 3 years younger ............ is there any hope!!!

Any comments gratefully accepted!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
Hey !!

So you need to prevent this to not cause further damages ?
Hope this will help. How do you manage with 2 small kids ? I remember when mine were little beeing on crutches not easy but somehow it went pretty well.
Are you refered to any pt to strenghten the msucles around the joint ?
Or you do it at home ?
Please keep us pudated how it goes.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support