Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A few quick questions!  (Read 941 times)

doodlebugrr

A few quick questions!
« on: May 22, 2005, 01:40:26 AM »
Hey Guyz!

**I was told to go swimming 3 times a week to gain strength in legs....not like I need anymore but w/e  :-X  ::) What exactly do I do while I am in the pool?? Just swim around?? Anyone know any pool exercises??

**Is there any other realigning surgeries other than a LR & TTT??

**If your knees are very tilted--enough that you can clearly see by just lookin at them, they are "pointing" at each other- then wouldnt they also "mal-track"??

thanx in advance guyz!! ;)  :)
take care everyone!!
~bekah~

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: A few quick questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 02:41:56 AM »
Hi Bekah,

I remember my PT telling someone once that doing exercises in the pool is unique because there isn't as much gravity, but there is natural resistance or something like that.  Anyway, do you have or know a PT you can call, they can proabably give you some pool exercises.

The only other realignment surgery I know is a VMO advancement.

And I don't think they would necessarly maltrack, and if they do it might not be enough to cause a problem.

Good luck! ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 03:07:02 AM »
Bekah you could walk of jog in the pool, you can do many of the same exercises you do in PT, works prettymuch the same, you just have to modify a little.  Walking in a pool is much easier on your knee but works the muscles harder.

Good Luck!

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 02:51:52 PM »
Bekah -

There are lots of exercises you can do in the pool.  Some gyms will even offer personal training sessions in the pool.  Here are some basics:

Walk or jog in the pool
Swim (but be sure to ask your OS if you can/should use a flutter kick or a breast stroke kick)
You'd be amazed the different ways you can do straight leg raises in the pool:
1) get foam "weights" that strap around your ankles.  Stand near a wall, and do SLRs in all 4 directions
2) you can actually use a "noodle" for the same thing
3) Do high, straight kickes to the front, and the back
Do a cross-country skiing motion
Jumping jacks
If the pool offers therapy, they may have a bunch of other equipment.  Some ideas:
1) step ups on a pool step, or they have ones that go in the middle of the pool
2) they have these heavy sand balls.  Place this on the floor, put your foot on top, and rotate the ball around
3) there is actually a "pool bike" thing.  It really works the abs, as well as the legs
Standing ankle touchings in front of you (bending the knee, bring the leg up and across your body, touching the ankle with the opposite hand
Standing heel touches (bend the knee to bring your heel to your butt, touch with opposite hand)

Best bet - find a physical therapy place that offers pool sessions.  Pay for 1 or 2 sessions with a PT or trainer in the pool, to make sure you do stuff that will help you without causing further damage, and have fun.  i can tell you, even SLRs seem more fun in the pool.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

doodlebugrr

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:53:26 AM »
Hey everyone!

thank you all VERY much!!  ;)  ;D All of your replies were very helpful! I will combine a list together with all of you guyz's exercises & keep it with me  ;)  :) In the mean time, my knees have never hurt as bad as they do lately, & I have no clue on what to do!  ???  I am on Feldene for pain, & it has made no difference yet, in fact they have gotten worse lately...& that medicine makes me itch like crazy all over, so I have to take benedryl to calm that down ::)  well...........
thanx again! & I hope everyone is havin better luck with knees then me! ;)
~bekah~