Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain levels  (Read 990 times)

Offline tpontis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Please...spay or neuter your pets!
Pain levels
« on: May 21, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
I just had my 3rd surgery on my R knee since 2000. My 1st was a meniscus repair and they found a Grade II chondral defect. Then I did PT as ordered. In 2004, I had my 2nd surgery. They found a Grade IV chondral defect on the weight bearing side of the medial femoral condyle. They also cleaned up lateral and medial meniscus tears as well as did a lateral release. I again did PT as ordered. Just a few weeks ago, another surgeon did surgery, thinking he was goind to do OATS. He got in there and found the Grade IV osteochondral defect had in fact healed from last year's microfracture. Last year, the hole was the size of a quarter, now it is the size of an eraser on top of a pencil. The surgeon decided to not plug it this year, but instead went ahead and did microfracture again. He cleaned out a lot of scar tissue, bone spurs, torn cartilage, loose bodies, and of course did the drilling again. Now the doc says I have a disproportionate pain response. When asked to explain this to me, he was  unable to do so. I feel like he is saying the pain is all in my head. Have any of you heard of this? What can I do to help with this? I am also once again in PT as ordered. Any suggestions?
medial meniscus repair x1, medial & lateral meniscectomies x4, lateral release, grade IV osteochondral defect with microfracture x2 so far, partial synovectomy, patellar synovitis, trochlear blisters, OA, synvisc, prolotherapy, cortisone, told to wait 20+ years for TKR

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Pain levels
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 08:25:20 PM »
Hi, Sorry you had to look us up.  Welcome to KNEEgeeks.

Sorry to hear you're in continued pain.  Dr's in general and OS in particular use that 'you shouldn't be in so much pain' when they don't understand.  Everyone is different and the reaction to the same stimulus will be different in different people.  Is you OS managing your pain?  If not talk to you GP or PCP, to see if they will help you control the pain.  You don't heal well if you are always in pain. 

Don't give up on PT, after knee surgery if is important to help you recover to the greatest extent possible.  Have you talked to you PT about the pain?  they have treatments that can help, ultrasound, phono-phorises (sp?), acupuncture etc.  They may be able to help get the pain to calm down.

Good Luck.  Let us know how you are doing.

H U G s

Rozzzie

OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Pain levels
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 05:25:33 PM »
In my opinion, no physcian or nurse, or medical personnel, for that manner, has the right to question the patient's pain response. Disproportionate means that the pain you are relating is more than the amount normally appreciated for the injury, surgery, etc. BUT, I have been taught that IF the patient states he/she has pain, they HAVE PAIN! In fact, treating somebody any other way, makes the patient question themself, as you are doing. Lots of time, when pain has gone on and on and on, or there are multiple injuries, surgeries, it is hard to control pain, as the amount of meds needed the first time, are of no use after that, as the body becomes accustomed to that amount of meds and it takes more and more to ease the pain. Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to judge what is disportionate , in terms of reality, as people have different levels of pain they tolerate. If you have pain, it is not a crime, and you are entilted to have it relieved , at least to a tolerable point for you. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support