Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: full thickness tear quadraceps  (Read 1500 times)

Offline torn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
full thickness tear quadraceps
« on: May 21, 2005, 06:32:09 PM »
had a fall aprox. 3 weeks ago mri shows a full thickness tear of my quadracep  saw os having surgery 5/25/05  just like to know if anyone has had or is familar with this and if so what can i expect ???

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: full thickness tear quadraceps
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 08:59:02 PM »
Did you tear one of your quad muscles or the quad tendon? I ruptured the quad tendon in a fall six years ago. It was misdiagnosed in the ER, but they put me in an immobilizer and told me to see an OS, which I did a few days later. The next day I was in surgery for the repair. Never needed an MRI because it was obvious the quad tendon was severed. I had no extension at all.

The surgery was pretty tough, as it was a big, open surgery. The first week was the roughest, then it improved pain-wise. I started PT at three weeks post-op. I had a lot of problems "waking up" the quad and getting it to fire, and because the quad was so weak, I was in an immobilizer for almost three months. This led to the formation of a lot of scar tissue inside the joint, and I had another surgery to remove the scarring at 6 months post-op. I continued to have problems and complications due to scar tissue, but that shouldn't happen to you. I am one of those unluckly ones who produce a lot of scar tissue, and it took me four years, two more surgeries and three doctors to find someone who knew how to deal with it.

I was originally told it would take about 12 months before I "forgot I had an injury." This is not a fun injury! But if you follow your doctor's orders and take PT seriously, you should be fine. You'll just need to be patient!

Make sure you ask a lot of questions before your surgery, such as How long will I stay in the hospital? Will I be on crutches; for how long? Will I be weight-bearing? Will I need help at home? (I needed someone with me at all times for the first week because I couldn't move my leg on my own) When will I start PT? Etc.

Good luck. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support