Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anaesthetic questions...  (Read 8645 times)

Offline sweetheart0517

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Anaesthetic questions...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 04:15:05 AM »
Everyone is so right DEFINATELY ask for something post op for nausea. That was one of my big concerns with having general but when I told the anestesiologist my fear he said he would take care of it and he did I did not throw up or even feel nauseas at all. The only time I felt a little sick was when I had to eat and drink something for the first time but that was barely anything and I got right out of that. So definately make sure u ask for something it really does help! :)

~Laura~
Lateral release 1-12-2005
Pt for what feels like forever...

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 07:19:09 PM »
Not that you need any more feedback -

Part of your decision should be based on if you are planning on in-patient or out-patient treatment.  If your surgery is planned as out-patient, you should not be allowed to leave until you can walk with your crutches, or whatever (as appropriate), go to the bathroom without help, and drink.  I had an epidural with my first knee surgery, and found it very frustrating to wait around for hours until it wore off enough to meet these requirements.  I was sedated for the surgery (at 17, I told them that if they didn't sedate me I would crawl off the table, with oir without feeling in my legs) and woke up briefly at the end while they were bandaging the knee.  I remember looking at my leg in the air (a nurse was holding it while the doctor wrapped it), looking at the nurse, telling her in a very drugged up voice that "that's my knee" and woke up again about 15 minutes later in recovery.

When I had my last surgery in December, I planned on an epidural and wanted to stay awake.  I was told I wouldn't be able to see the screen based on what they were doing, and would be stuck at the surgical center anywhere from 2-4 hours longer with the epidural than with the general.  I have also had bad reactions to general, so they gave me an anti-nausea medication in the IV before administering the GA.  I was home, on my couch, about an hour - 90 minutes after they finished with me in the OR.  Half an hour in recovery, 10 minutes to figure out how to get dressed when I was still a bit groggy, paperwork, and the drive.

If you've never had GA, and have bad reactions to different pain killers, tell the anesthesiologist.  They are rarely opposed to giving patients the anti-nausea medication.  If you don't normally have problems with drugs, you may not need it.  Lots of people are fine.  The best decision will be made the day of surgery - you will get to talk to YOUR anesthesiologist, who will know what procedure is planned, and will be able to discuss the options and preferences of your surgical center.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 11:17:37 PM »
OOPS! I was wrong. When I had my TTT both legs were numb. Guess I was so out of it I didn't realize it! I was also given something to make me sleep. So, FYI, you dont' have to be awake with a spinal. ;D Now, with my screw removal, I had a general with something for nausea. Worked great.
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Shoomers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Schupbach Fine Art
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 12:52:29 AM »
Jen,
Was wondering what you finally decided to use for anesthesia?  How was it?  I am having LR/TTT on August 2, and am getting scared.  My big fear, which I always have, is not waking up, OR, waking up during the surgery.  Do you think this is normal, or am I weird?  Also, I always get very sick with generals, but am very afraid of an epidural, becasue of the whole something in the spine/paralyzed thing.  What to do?
Anyway,  I hope your recovery is coming along very well and you are glad of your surgery! 
Happy day,
Lisa C.
1985-arthroscopy RK plicae removal
1986-arthroscopy LK plicae removal
2001-full dislocation RK
March, 2005 - had to stop running races due to PFS
August 2 L/R and TTT RK

shadehawk

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 01:15:04 AM »
Lisa C,

I have had some surgeries also and have some really weird dreams.  Think it is just anxiety before surgery....NORMAL!!

About general anesthesia - I remember Heather M. mentioning Zofran (anti-nausea) medication to work with a general and it takes that nausea feeling away.  Maybe ask the doctor for one of the anti-nausea medications next time - I sure plan on asking...I hate that nausea feeling.....

Popsicles right when you wake up also help you alot - I love the lime flavoured ones.

Good luck to you,

Shade[/color]

Offline Shoomers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Schupbach Fine Art
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 01:31:56 AM »
Shade,
I will definitely remember that, and ask for something.  I get terrible motion sickness too, and have read it has something to do with it? 
Popsickles are the best after surgery!  (except when I start puking-red for me as I like cherry! Yuck!!)
Good luck to you, too!  You are in surgery right before me, I think?  BTW, how do you write all that stuff down there, below your post, about your knees/surgeries?
Thanks and have a great day!
Lisa C.
1985-arthroscopy RK plicae removal
1986-arthroscopy LK plicae removal
2001-full dislocation RK
March, 2005 - had to stop running races due to PFS
August 2 L/R and TTT RK

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 01:21:23 PM »
Lisa:
I ended up opting for an IV general with a bunch of anti-nausea stuff in the "cocktail" and femoral/scitic nerve blocks.  They did the lumbar-plexus approach for the blocks (as opposed to -- ew! -- through the groin).  Evidently, that lasts longer...and mine were complete for more than 24 hours post-op.  When I woke up, I was somewhat nauseated, but the anaesthesiologist gave me more IV anti-nausea stuff in recovery and I was fine.  No puking at all.

Good luck!
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

shadehawk

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 02:54:27 PM »
Lisa,

Yes, my surgery is on the 28th July.  The day that you have surgery, I have my post-op visit & am hoping we'll be cleared to come back home.  My surgery is a 12-hr drive away....which is a good thing.  So, I should be leaving for home during your surgery.....[/color]

To put stuff at the bottom you click on the Profile button on the top of the KNEEguru page - where the chat, calendar logout etc are.....A screen will come up and you go to the left hand column and look for Modify Profile - click on Forum Profile Info & when screen comes up look for Signature:  Add your stuff and click 'change profile' at the bottom of the page.  Next time you check you should have the stuff added to the bottom of your posts.

I like this idea of the anti-nausea IV stuff that Jen talks about - maybe we'll be lucky enough to get this also.  I certainly will be asking for it.  Makes me wonder why my hospital has never offered something like this to me before......

Good luck,

Shade

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 08:12:36 PM »
Hey Shade, the anth., dr also put a little patch behind my right ear that contained anti nauseous medicine. It looks like a small round bandaid and works for a couple of days. That tiny bandaid is miraculous. I am sorry that I dont remember the name of the med but I do know that they use it for cancer patients.
good luck to both of you.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

shadehawk

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 12:46:39 AM »
Missy,   ;D

Hi, that is very interesting.  I looked for anti-inflammatory patches and kept getting the name Scopolamine Patch – anti-nausea medication - it is also used for cancer patients - maybe this is what you had....

It is just so amazing all the info you can get off this site.

Thanks, ;)

Shade

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2005, 01:25:49 AM »
Hey,

Well...I had a nerve block and sedation, so I didn't have to worry about the nausea from general. However, I was on Vicodin, and that did make me nauseous, so I was prescribed Phenergan as an anti-nausea med. It worked great, but made me very drowsy. I'm with you, though, Shade.....I absolutely can't stand being nauseous. I would much rather have any sinus or respiratory illness over nausea any day.

Oh, it's interesting you should mention anti-inflammatory patches. I have an ulcer and can't take any anti-inflammatories by mouth....just trade knee pain/swelling for stomach pain.....so I always wondered if there was a patch. Did you find anything?

~Erin~
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 01:27:55 AM by mhsflute07 »
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

shadehawk

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2005, 02:43:37 AM »
~Erin~

Apparently, there are some that are being tested, buit do not have FDA approval yet.  You can get the Scopolamine Patch for nausea - it goes behind the ear.  The anti-inflammatories seem to be still in the pipeline though...It sure would be a good idea.  Think I read that Meloxicam is being used in some European countries in a patch form.....Fentanyl Patches are being used for 3-day pain relief from surgeries.

http://www.medicomm.net/Consumer%20Site/dh/dh_f3.htm

Shade
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 02:57:47 AM by Shade »

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2005, 03:24:04 AM »
Thanks Shade! Gosh, you'd think with all the patches they have for smoking, birth cotrol, nausea....they would certainly have and Advil or Motrin or Aleve....or something like that.....patch!!

Hmm...I could invent it, patent it, and get rich simply by marketing it to people on this site....hehe.

I did find this article about NSAID patches....it talks about their use in rheumatic patients, but thought it might be of interest.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9132322&dopt=Abstract

~Erin~
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 03:32:20 AM by mhsflute07 »
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

shadehawk

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 03:34:09 AM »
~Erin~

Hmm...I could invent it, patent it, and get rich simply by marketing it to people on this site....hehe.
- Hey, that would be a great idea, but I bet it is already in the pipeline somewhere.

I did not find any, but that does not mean they are not out there.  Sometimes the simple things are very hard to find.....Maybe someone else has seen anti-inflammatory patches.....

Shade
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 03:36:06 AM by Shade »