Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL tear, Medial Menicus tear, and 2 fractures to the Tibia  (Read 975 times)

Offline JenniferCH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help!!!!   :-[

I am new to this website.  To make a long story short, the fractures were caught two weeks ago.  I am now at -1 degrees, but cannot pass 93.  I get a "rod" sensation and they say it is the torn medial meniscus.  My first measurement after a month as 17 and 57.  I went to 4 and 93 within 5 days.  4 days later, I am still stuck!  Initial injury occured on 4/12.

Any advice?  Any knowledge?  Puhleeease?   ???

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
Re: ACL tear, Medial Menicus tear, and 2 fractures to the Tibia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 04:50:18 AM »
Please define "rod" sensation.  Sounds like the pain is on the medial side of the knee.  is it morein the front, side or rear of the knee. 

What tests have been run?  How do they know the ligaments are torn?
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline JenniferCH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:53:12 AM »
The "rod" starts out as a dull yet very obvious pain on the lateral side.  and then as I try to bend further with my other leg (A PT move) it goes into sharp, knife like.  The knee cap does have "pain" but it is more like a pressure, not pain.  Stiff, I guess would be a good way to describe.  But the ROD is at 90 degrees from the center of the knee cap on the lateral side.

I am told ACl surgery (which has to be done) that you have to be at 0/120.  This will not go past 93.  And I push it to the point of shaking pain.

Offline JenniferCH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 04:55:54 AM »
Tests: MRI was done on the day after injury.  It said the ACL is completely torn, the medial meniscus is torn.  Repeat to rule out tibia fracture.  My first OS did and didnt' see the fractures.  They were having me walk, practice stairs, etc.   Long story short, I was irritated with loack of communication and got a second opinion.  They found the two fractures.

other wise, just measuring at PT

Jen

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 05:54:05 AM »
Jennifer,

My MRI did not show the LARGE hyline articulate cartlige loose body that had been sheered from the weight bearing part of the lateral femur.

My guess is that that rod feeling is due to joint mal-alignment or impingement from the loose body, do you still have a lot of swelling? 

Check with your PT first, but I use bicycle to increase flexion.  I adjust the seat until I am just a little past the comfort zone.  Then start peddling, hurts for a couple of minutes, the advantage is that you are using the power stroke of your good leg to flex the bad leg.  I then will adjust the seat more and start over until I reach the ROM I want.  (I have trouble with arthofibrosis in my right knee)  You may need to do this over the period of a week to achieve the extra 27 degrees. 

Remeber brief pain may lead to lasting results.

Good luck
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

support