Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Will this go away?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Will this go away?
« on: January 07, 2003, 07:06:09 AM »
Late last summer my left knee became sore and I attributed it to overuse since I was rowing about six miles everyday.  In a yoga class the instuctor "assisted" me further into a stretch and I felt something kind of shift in the knee.  After that i could hardly get around.  X-rays show no bone damage but I understand that only an MRI can show ligaments.  I lost my insurance after 9/11 and am reluctant to start this process.  Meanwhile the knee has improved quite a bit but I'm avoiding leg work at the Gym. It does ache durring the night sometimes, and when I drive a standard shift truck it gets a little tender.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Will this heal on it's own if I don't stress it?  I'd like to start rowing in May. Do I dare?
Thanks,
Joe

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Will this go away?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 02:59:29 PM »
Hey Joe, I think you need to go back and see your doctor again. MRI's are not the end all be all of diagnostic imaging, they can show meniscus and ligaments, hwoever they have been known to miss things and give false positives as well. :-X You might want to look up PAtella Femoral Syndrome and see if the symptoms sound similar to what you have.
Good Luck
Take care
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 03:54:35 PM »
I wouldn't begin rowing in May without slowly working up to it. Why not try a very light leg workout at the gym? I don't know which equipment you usually use, but you could bike or walk the treadmill at an average pace for 10 minutes and see how your knee feels later. If it feels okay, add one minute every day until you get to 30 minutes. The same with the leg press or the leg curl. Start with whatever weight is easy and add five pounds each week. This is the way my rehab doctor had me rehab (not PT - this was a rehab doctor). If there is something you cannot do without pain, don't push it. For example, I cannot do the leg curl at all.

You may still end up going to the doctor, but you will be able to tell him exactly at what point you are able to exercise without pain and at what point the pain begins. In the meantime, you will be keeping your leg as strong as possible. Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 05:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Your information is very helpful and I'll take  your suggestions.
Joe

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 03:42:06 AM »
Hi Joe
I don't know what is wrong with your knee without knowing how old you are. But Good Luck Anyway
                                      Michelle
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

support