Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What's happening?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Brazen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What's happening?
« on: May 20, 2005, 10:27:25 PM »
HELP
Hurt knee pre-Christmas but chose to ignore it (never trust anyone with a health background to do as they're told ;D)- despite pain and locking.  Then after 8 weeks of ignoring it and driving over 2000 miles - landed up in full leg plaster as achilles flared up big time.  Now been out of plaster for 8 weeks, physio ++++++ and a negative MRI scan I still can't straighten my knee completely, remains painful, locks on ocassions and feels like it may give way.  According to Doc means nothing wrong just my head stopping me ???  Any ideas ???, my physio convinced that meniscus tear but Doc says MRI scan totally reliable and I just need to push it and make it staighten.
 :'( Seriously fed up as stopping me riding (50 miles+ ;D)

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: What's happening?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 04:59:41 PM »
From what I gather on this site , No MRI is completely reliable. From your symptoms it sounds more than a meniscus. And I am assuming you are talking about bike riding for your miles? 

Did you just see a GP or did you go to an Orthopedic Surgeon ? I would get in soon and get reevaluated. You might have something going on with ligaments. Let us know what you find out. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »
Brazen,

100% reliable??  I wonder what rock he's been hiding under. ??? ???  No test is completely reliable, none, this is for science as well as medicine!

I would get a second, 3rd or 4th opinion.  X-rays and a GOOD exam can at times give the OS more information than an MRI.

Sorry your in so much pain.  Sending  H U G s !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 09:47:01 PM »
Brazen,
mri's are most definetly NOT 100% accurate. they certainl can help but are not alway perfect. was it a normal doctor you went to/ sports med. doc/ orthapedic surgion? whatever the case, i would search out a new sports med. doc or OS and have another opinion. Hvaing you knee lock can be a sign of a more serious problem i your knee let us know how you fare out!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Brazen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 09:25:54 PM »
[And I am assuming you are talking about bike riding for your miles? 

Thnaks Ron and no I'm talking about horse riding, my thing is endurance horse riding, 100 miles in a day stuff - a lot of which you get off and run with your horse for - present beasty only a novice so max distance 30 miles but have represented country in past (Wales) and this one is hopefully GB standard:)  SO desperaye to get going again
Cate

Offline Brazen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 09:28:16 PM »
Brazen,

100% reliable??  I wonder what rock he's been hiding under. ??? ???  No test is completely reliable, none, this is for science as well as medicine!

Rozzzie

Thanks for the hugs, probably should have said that the rock he's under is with me!!!!  He's the husband so am going to see OS 10 days time.  He's freaked about the idea of me having an op etc sometimes beinmg a medic makes you worse about intervention ;D

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »
hi brazen

ohhh, thats a toughy, i bet he feels bad! haha! bless him. dont worry, i have had 2 MRI's this yr and an Xray....1st MRI was normal....2nd MRI showed a tear in my cartilage, so definitely have a 2nd opinion or another MRI/XRay done

after 7 weeks of physio i still cannot lock my knee straight....which for some people is normal anyway....my left knee goes to -5 so its just a pain for me to watch the right one struggle.

let us know how it goes, good luck!!!
Nikki Michel

Age 20
Jan 2005 - dislocated right patella

Offline tpontis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Please...spay or neuter your pets!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 04:10:53 AM »
HI Brazen. I have had to obtain 2nd, 3rd, and yes, even 4th opinions when my gut just told me that the doctor(s) wasn't right. MRI 100% accurate? My OS says only 80 % accurate. XRAYS? 5 days before my grade IV chondral defect was found and drilled, XRAY report stated "No chondral defect noted". How's that for accurate?! All I can say is follow your gut instinct. You know your knee and related pain better than any doctor. Just move on to another doctor that you finally feel comfortable with. Good luck!
medial meniscus repair x1, medial & lateral meniscectomies x4, lateral release, grade IV osteochondral defect with microfracture x2 so far, partial synovectomy, patellar synovitis, trochlear blisters, OA, synvisc, prolotherapy, cortisone, told to wait 20+ years for TKR