Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back from first appointment!  (Read 1313 times)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • fin
Back from first appointment!
« on: May 20, 2005, 03:25:55 PM »
After being delayed a week I was finally seen!

Had a new set of x-rays done, Merchant's view one, Standard AP & Lateral and standing AP.

Was seen by the senior physiotherapist who examined me. Never actually saw the doctor lol.

Anyway. She said my pain is mostly around my kneecap (well duh tbh. I pointed to around my knee cap when shea asked where it hurts lol) caused because im knock kneed and because of my size screwing everything up :p. And the pain is where it is because of some sensitive cartilage that is located around that area (Medial side of knee). So was told I won't be sent to surgery yet because the doctor only does surgery if X-rays show something significant and obvious. He doesn't just leap in. Which is a good thing I guess lol. So I am being referred to physiotherapy and its basically "see if that helps", if not the doctor will have a look too and MRI's and stuff like that. Was told physio should help a lot.

I was a bit disappointed I guess that I wasn't seen by the doctor. Since I have been waiting that long. But oh well. I have been given an open appointment with him for 6 months. So if physio doesn't improve I get seen straight away. And my physio, apart from being senior physio only works with him. So they will no doubt be in contact all the time!

Now im waiting for the physio to call me to arrange an appointment lol.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Back from first appointment!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 03:28:58 PM »
Hey !!

Pretty great news then. At least you have been there and you know they are taking care of you. You sounds more happier now. Wish you good luck with your physio.

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »
I was a bit miffed at the hospital actually with the radiographer. Had to be a contortionist to have the x-ray's done.

I don't know really what to make of what the physio said. Because I wasn't really given much info on whats wrong. I mean something else has to be going on than knock kneed and big. If it was only that would be pain in both knees.

Oh well. We will see what the physio says when I have my appointment for that. Which I think might be next week actually......just have to wait on the call.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 04:16:58 PM »
I think they always try to sort it out by muscle strengthening first. It may be that your problem can be 'cured' by strenghthening specific muscles so that any inflammation can settle down. It feels like not alot to be sent to physio but it can really work wonders.

At least when you do see the doc he'll take it seriously after 6 mo PT. OR maybr you'll be better and won't need to see him. Keep hoping.

Good luck
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »
Hey, glad that you finally got in to an appointment. 

Too bad that the doctor did not see you, but he probably would have said the same thing - do pt for xxxx amount of time and then we'll make some decisions at that time.  That is the usual scenereo.  Hopefully Physio will help strengthen your knees and alleviate some of the pain - hey, no one wants surgery.

Good luck to you, hope physio helps.

Shade

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:19:39 PM »
Prof,

Glad you finally got your appointment. Boy, would I be miffed if I didn't see the OS, but like the others said he would have said the same thing, Physio. At least you can now start working on your knee to try to get some relief.

You asked why only one knee is hurting when the reasons you were given are the same for both knees. Could be many things, the Q angles may be slightly different, you legs muscles could have different strengths, etc and maybe its just luck.

Hope you start Physio soon and start to feel better!

H U G s ! !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 04:49:08 AM »
Oh I know what I was going to ask you lot. Any one with something similiar? And how long did it take to see improvement after starting physio?

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 05:36:38 AM »
OK Prof,

PT may or may not be the answer for you, but for me on average after 3 weeks of keeping appointments and doing the homework, muscle tone is improved.  I am here in the States, and do not know what to expect from your healthcare system in the UK.  I would have been URKED with the response you got. 

In my most recent injury, my tibia dislocated.  The Paramedics who responded saw the led and stated "yuck".  While they were putting the compression imobilizer on and transporting me to the ER the tibia slipped back into position.  So while seeing the ER Doctors, they commented that it (the knee) wasnt bad just a little sprin.  They totally ignored my explination of the mechanics of the injury, the location of the pain and the EMT report of "obvious deformity" from the dislocation. 

Now while I was in the ER I was unable to get extension (straight leg raise) on my own due to the intinse pain on the medial anterior capule and the medial side of the patellar tendon.  I also was unable to get more than about 15 degrees of flexion.  The ER doc put me in a splint, told me to use R.I.C.E. and follow up with OS. 

The first OS listened to what I had to say, discounted it as though I was a know it all and prescribed 6 weks PT and then if I was still having problems we cold do some tests.  I felt like I was dismissed as a novice.  I got a second oppinion, this OS listened to my detailed history of events, the description in medical terms of the location of the pain.  This OS understood what was up, he scheduled an MRI and a follow up for later that week.  At the follow up the doc went over the radiology report and determined that I would need surgery, however, I already had lost muscle tone and the doc wanted pre-surgery PT to help strenghtn the muscles and reduce post op recovery time.  Oh, he also drained 120ML of yuck from the knee, this immediatly helped the discomfort and increased mobility. 

I guess the point of my rant is that the PT probably wont't hurt anything, it will speed up the post-op if needed.

Good luck and best wishes on a non surgical recovery.
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 07:44:35 AM »
Hey....i would be annoyed i didn't get to see the actual surgeon! Especially after waiting that long. Maybe Physio will work for you, who knows. Physiotherapists are not actually trained at diagnosing knee injuries though they are trained at improving stability, direction, impact and muscle tone. One of my friends is a Physiotherapist and will openly admit it. Whilst i am sure they do have a good idea of what could be happening scans generally are the best way to see what the problem is...although they even stuff up sometimes! After two arthroscopes i have been told to do Physio and see if it helps and so far it's not. Maybe your knee issues are caused by your weight? I don't know how big you are but considering your legs hold the rest of your body up i suppose there is a high chance it could be related! I was never big but i have noticed that even losing a little bit of weight if possible can really help. I hope you find some answers, goodluck with everything...make sure you do your physio regularly prof or it definitely won't work!
Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 08:31:06 AM »
I am overweight but the main problem is the way I am built. I do not have a small build at all lol. A healthy weight for me according to my doctor is above the healthy range of BMI (Which takes in to no account way people are built really). So yeh that is part of the problem lol.

The physio though was good and did seem to know what she was doing when looking for what was wrong. But like people have said. I would have been sent to physio first anyway no matter who I saw.

Thanks everyone will let you know what is happenning when I start physio....which will involve travelling from one side of the city to the other every week lol.

support