Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Crunching under Knee Cap...?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline tanyasparks

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • My Knees Suck!!!!
Crunching under Knee Cap...?
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:30:54 AM »
Hello all,

I have been doing pt now for about 2 weeks.  I have a confirmed grade 3 tear in my MCL and damage to my quad muscle.  Ever since the accident, (fell off of ladder at work,) I have had this crunching and grinding under my knee cap.  I never noticed it before the accident.  My doc did an MRI and it didn't show anything.  The OS said that it would go away after some pt.  Well, now the pt is concerned because now that the swelling is starting to recede, the crunching is getting worse.  It crunches when I bend it and also if you put any kind of pressure on my knee cap.  Moving is back and forth working it into my patella groove is when the crunching is the worst and ellicits the most pain.  It feels kind of like someone snapping a rubber band in my knee.  The OS is not at all concerned.  But the Physical Therapist is terribly concerned.  Do you think that the OS would not treat me the same as another patient due to it being a workers comp case??  Have any idea what this crunching could be??

Thanks,
Tanya Sparks
25yrs. old
Left Knee LR in 1997
Right Knee Grade 3 MCL Tear 4/15/05
Now experiencing Locking in Rt. knee, Kneecap dislocating.
Finished with the pt and still no better
LR and Chondroplasty surgery suggested. 
Second opinion OS appt. went bust!
Waiting to see first OS for surgery.

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Crunching under Knee Cap...?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
In my knee, I have alway equated a "Crunching" feeling or sound (commonly called crepitus)  to my chondromalacia, or softening of the cartlidge underneath the patella due to my tracking problem.  I hurts and sounds horrible.. Keep letting your doc know your concerns, only you know how you feel..!

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:45:08 PM »
How is your quad strength? I had a lot of crunching and catching (even subluxing) until the quad was strong enough to hold the patella in place. I was sure there was something else wrong, but eventually it has mostly subsided. Do you have pain as it crunches? I agree to keep telling your OS if it continues to bother you.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline tanyasparks

• Regular Poster
  • My Knees Suck!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »
I have lost significant quad strength since the accident because I was in an immobilizer for 3 weeks.  And also, I tore part of my quad muscle in the fall.  My OS said that is why it was crunching, thus the PT.  My physical therapist said that the crunching should be getting better with the PT, not worse.  The more I go and the more the swelling goes down, the more it crunches.  It is not too awfully painful.  It mostly hurts when I'm doing my PT.  Especially while using the weights.  I have only been in PT for 2 weeks so I'm going to go through the entire course of PT before I talk to the OS again.

Thanks
Tanya
25yrs. old
Left Knee LR in 1997
Right Knee Grade 3 MCL Tear 4/15/05
Now experiencing Locking in Rt. knee, Kneecap dislocating.
Finished with the pt and still no better
LR and Chondroplasty surgery suggested. 
Second opinion OS appt. went bust!
Waiting to see first OS for surgery.