Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I get a knee replacement?  (Read 753 times)

Offline gladysanne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I get a knee replacement?
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:54:46 PM »
Hi,

Have just been put on the waiting list for an oxford PKN.
Had a medial cartilage reoved in 1976 and have had pain for about the last ten years.  Have had two arthroscopys but am  now severely limited as to what i can do. Am only 51 and not overweight but have had to stop going to the gym and knee is painful after bout 10 mins walking.  I am a teacher so am on my feet all day.
Having said that  I could live with the pain for a bit longer if i had to.
Not keen to have the op as it seems to signify the start of a series of ops at roughly 10 year intervals.... and what happens when I'm in my early 70's?
Anyone any advice?
Anne
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:35:49 PM by gladysanne »

Offline gladysanne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Should I get a knee replacement?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:36:57 PM »
Anyone any help or info?
Anne

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 09:06:35 PM »
Anne,

How's your quality of life??  I think that is the question that you need to answer.  If your quality of life is really bad, then you may opt for the PKN,  If not wait a little.  They are making strides in artificial knees all the time and they are beginning to last longer, there is a good chance that by the time you need a replacement or a TKR that they may be lasting well over 20 years.

Only you can decide if you want the new knee.

Good Luck and   H U G s !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Josie1951

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:46:12 PM »
Hi there
You sound like me i had a broken patella in 73, and have had 5 ops in the last 32 years, they lasted for a little while it was a cleanout here and there, finally i found a doctor who told me that i was not to young (53) for a knee replacement and that was the only way to go.  I had it on April 21st, it was 4 weeks yesterday and i have gone through lots of pain but i can see a light shinning at the end of a dark and painful life, i also am on my feet all day as i work for UPS, but last week i started to go in for 4 hours 3 times a week, and my rehab is 3 times a week and i know it still is a long road to haul, but in the long run its worth it, also all the knee replacements are lasting longer but you to have to watch your activitie not over doing the high inpact sports that will loosen it faster but be sensible, if you have been in pain for as long as me you will not mess it up by being stupid, so i wouldnt worry about 10 yrs from now, also my aunt had hers (both of them) done 20 yrs ago and is still going strong.  Good Luck

Josie :)
Jo Jo