Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 11 days Post Op-but OS couldnt find the problem  (Read 1149 times)

Offline LyndaParker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
11 days Post Op-but OS couldnt find the problem
« on: January 06, 2003, 04:18:16 PM »
Hello, Good Morning and Happy New Year...a bit belated.

I am 11 days post op from the Authro scope on my right knee.  I didn't have torn cartlidge or a torn MCL, but did have a ton of scar tissue that had built up removed, severe inflammation, my knee cap scraped, and the general yuck that was floating around washed out.

Unfortunatly, my OS didn't find out the reason I was there in the first place.

Both my knees will lock up (luckily one at a time-but has been occuring about 10-14 days apart).  I get locked up at about 90 degrees and CAN NOT move my knee, dangle it, put weight on it, nothing until it pops back in.  The pain is unbelivable and I have fallen almost everytime using crutches to get to a place I can sit which is angonizing trying to catch myself.

My MRI showed only the arthritis, wear-n-tear, etc. on my right knee.  But some minor tears, and the same stuff on my left knee.  Which was why he was hesitant to scope me.  

Until I locked up my left knee at work one day, squatting, and my husband brought me in.  The OS didn't see alot of swelling and gently...yeah right...manipulated my leg until it popped.  IF he had been within range I probably would have popped him.  I feel exquisit relief, but alot of pain for up to a week or so and use a full leg imobilizer and crutches.  The swelling also kicks in, but is not fluid/water.

I have gone to the ER once, and the ER Doc said it was an illiotibial something or other and grabbed something from behind my knee and moved it towards the side of my knee to get it to pop.  When I told the OS he  looked at me like I was crazy and said that was impossible.

I am having good progress so far, only the fact that I am overuseing my knee.  I still have some restricted movement in my knee, going from 30 degrees back to 90 and if I move my leg without thinking, like kicking the covers around or something that engages the outside of my knee, I still feel alot of pain.  I can't stay in one possition very long yet and still wake up at night from being in the same position.  And I still have puffiness around the portals, but the whole knee swelling is gone and the bruising.

I start Rehab tomorrow 3x a week for 4 weeks to start.  Then he might let me go back to work.  I have a non-desk job.  Very physical.  I am so bored.

The reason he did the right knee instead of the left where tears were visible, was because the Monday before Christmas, (my left had been scheduled for the 26th) I was at my Mom's house for a party and I went to turn in my chair, but my foot dragged the carpet and out went my right knee.  It took from 8pm to 4am before it would pop...usually it take 3-4 hours to pop back.  He decided to do the right instead since it had the most recent problem.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  He said he did a clean out, smooth out and flush out, but never found out why my leg locks up.  I want to schedule my right, since there are tears, but he said No, until I finish my rehab.  He is leary of doing the left, since he couldnt find the reason they lock up and there was a good chance it will happen again.  

I lock up when I am squatting, or crossing my legs or placing one under the other.  This has been happening since I was 13, and then graduating to 2x a month now that I am in my early 40's with each episode more painful, longer lasting and recovery longer.  I try to avoid these positions, but I usually don't think about it until I lock up...again.

I sure could use some info on legs that lock up.  Any help would be really appeciated.

Lynda

support