Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Another TTT Sucess story  (Read 2797 times)

Offline SueJ.

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Hello!
Another TTT Sucess story
« on: May 17, 2005, 07:55:56 AM »
Hi All,
 I'm not sure if any of you know me, but I spent alot of time on this site a few years ago, before and after I had my TTT.
I'm proud to say I'm exactly 3 years post-op today,and 100% happy with the results. I mainly had the surgey because of frequent dislocations for most of my life. Now no more dislocations and I'm pain free and currently having no other post-op issues.
The first year of recovery was really hard, with alot of ups and downs, and alot of PT! The second year I was still a little unsure of my decision to have the surgery in the first place.
But this last year my knee has gotten nothing but better, I have gotten probaby 90% of my quad strenght back(finally!) I can run, and climb stairs pain free. Yea!!! But most of all I LOVE the stability I have now! My last cortisone injection was 2 years ago!
I know when I was going through it all there were not alot of sucess stories, the people that got better just went away, and only the ones with ongoing issues stayed. (which is what this board is so helpful for) and i said that I would make sure when I got better I would let everyone know that it is possible to rise above knee pain and have a sucsessful surgey, it really does happen!!! YEA FOR ME!!!
Sue J.
OK, now onto the reading to see who all is still around,  and how you are all doing!
TTT left knee May 17, 2002;  Arthroscopy with Lysis of adhesions,  revision of LR and screw removal left knee 10-10-02.

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Another TTT Sucess story
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »
that is great news.

I just went to a doc who told me I need one of these.  So, I am so happy they work out in some cases.

Can you tell me about how long you were non weight bearing and when were you finally off crutches completely after suregery?

Also, how soon before you were walking on your own with no limp?

THanks

nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 03:14:33 AM »
Hi Sue,

So nice to hear from you and to see how well you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now 5 1/2 years post TTT and my knee still feels great and is still stable!!!

My complications have still not made me regret having the TTT. I am hoping it saves me from a TKR for at least another 5 or so years !!!!!!!!

I will say this year continues to be an improvement for me thanks to a great Dr and stopping alot of medication. I feel like a whole new me!!

I am so glad you are doing so well!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline SueJ.

• Forum Faithful
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 07:49:50 AM »
Hi Nick,
 Yes the TTT does have it's success but it's a long hard road that I think everybody goes into  it thinking "oh that's them not me, I will recover much faster" Don't underestimate the amount of time to recover, I know I did at first.
 As far as the weight bearing, I think every doctor is different, some say none for 6-8 weeks, others allow it right away. Mine said partial weight bearing with crutches, but then I ended up with a tibal fracture that extended down my tibia. we found that at my 1 month check-up  at that point I was already trying to walk with one crutch, (opps to much weight bearing) he said ok to continue because I already had a fracture which is something you want to avoid, hence the non weight bearing some say. But I think that may have slowed down the progress a little. I was off the crutches by 8 weeks and off the brace then too. Back to work part time then and full time at 12 weeks.  I had a scar tissue problem that prevented me from bending much past 90 degrees, so untill that was taken care of 5 mths post-op I limped. after that things started to look up.
 But be prepared to lose that Quad muscle! I don't know if any amount of excersise can keep it. I think by the time you start feeling good enough to begin some excersise around 1 week post-op it's already too late. (1st week all you want to do is eat sleep and go to the bathroom, forget excerise I'm proud I survived the surgery!) And The Quad is so hard to regain, it just takes so long!
Good Luck,
 Sue
TTT left knee May 17, 2002;  Arthroscopy with Lysis of adhesions,  revision of LR and screw removal left knee 10-10-02.

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
  • My dogs got better knees than me!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:06:27 PM »
Hi sue!

As you say not many people write down there sucess stories, people get better and then tend to forget this site and rightly so get on with there pain free, no dislocations, etc etc LIFE!! ;D

Which is fab for me to hear!

I have finally found a surgeon who will operate on me, I've been suffering with dislocations for 21 years and am in constant pain everyday.

So on the 23rd Sept 05 I will be going under the knife, I am perparing my self for hard hard HARD work, I will propbably find it really differcult and cry and want to pull my hair out, but hearing your story has encouraged me!

Thankyou  ;D

Did you have both knees done??? I'm having the other knee done in jan 06! So even more work!

I'm so glad that you are free!!! ;D ;D

Emma x x x
Spontaneous dislocations to both kneecaps for 20 years!
Bilateral Arthroscopies - Awaiting Op's Right knee on 23/9/05
Left knee in Jan 06

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 10:18:39 AM »
Hey Sue!!!

Nice to hear other's succes stories!! Mine has been done nearly 3 years ago and also is a success!!! This surgery changed my life in a very good way! I can do everything!!!!!!! And as like you my last cortisone shot was ages ago (I think 1.5 years ago!)!! It hasn't been easy down the road but I am soo glad I decided to have this surgery!

As for the weightbearing, I was WB as tolerated from day 0 and was walking without crutches 3 weeks post-op (cast was also removed 3 weeks post-op!)

Good luck and I hope our (an all success-) TTT knees stay as good as they are now!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 02:49:16 AM »
Helena,

May I ask you a question. My right knee has been bothering me for awhile now and it is at the point I am having it checked out on June 1st, if you were told you needed a TTT for your "good Knee" would you do it again?????  I am just curious.

In the decision for my left knee it was easy as I didn't need that leg to drive and get to work ( 4 weeks post-op I went back) but with my right knee I would not be able to drive.  I am just trying to get an opinion from someone else who had a TTT and is having opposite knee trouble.

Thanks for you help!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 12:28:19 PM »
Hi Sue,  ;D

Glad to hear that you have done so well. 

It is just so refreshing to hear about a successful surgery.   

Wishing all the best for you, thanks for sharing your story.

Shade

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 10:14:33 PM »
Helena,

May I ask you a question. My right knee has been bothering me for awhile now and it is at the point I am having it checked out on June 1st, if you were told you needed a TTT for your "good Knee" would you do it again?????  I am just curious.

Cari, sorry but i didn't see your reply untill now (I know, I have been rather busy! ::))

Well I honestly can tell I would do it again for sure! My R knee is giving me pain but nowhere near like the left one was!!!! If it comes to the point I have daily pain, I will have it done rightaway! I am not ready to go through all the pain and dislocating again! So YES!!!! Even if it has to put me off work 11 weeks again! :'( ::)

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 02:51:45 AM »
Thanks Helena,

Just trying to get a few opinions from others who also had successfull TTT's. My OS who did my TTT retired and I recently went back to the OS who was honest enough to admit he didn't do as many TTT's or them as long as the other one did so he sent me to the OS who did my TTT. He said my "good" knee has severe patella femoral arthritis and time will tell what is needed.  He said if I didn't want to have a TTT we should try and wait longer to have a PKR since all my damage is with the patella and the PKR for that is still not perfect but he is in the #1 orthopedic Hospital in the US, Hospital for Special Surgery and he knows that if I wait longer I will have great results!  I am going to follow the path I did with the other one and try SYNVISC first as it lasted over 9 months of no pain for the other knee prior to the TTT. For my insurance companied purpose I have to have a cortisone injection first so I am doing that on June 27th then after a few weeks he can request permission to order the SYNVISC injections.

Thanks for taking the time. I didn't expect to have to deal with this knee yet so I am buying time. I am not ready for anytype of surgery in the near future yet!

Cari