Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any TTT/Fulkerson success stories out there?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline cassie70

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Any TTT/Fulkerson success stories out there?
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:41:46 PM »
Hello,
I need advice on receiving a Fulkerson osteotomy. An MRI on left knee shows space under my kneecap, swelling, patellar tendonitis and bone bruising. This is the recommendation by my OS yesterday. I have tried three courses of PT to correct this problem (VMO and quad strengthening). Probably 3 mos, 4 mos, then six weeks. I have patellar maltracking problems and patellar tendonitis. My patella tracks both medially and laterally/ incorrectly (sort of like a whip or C), but it is not that bad. However it is tilted according to the PT but I can't tell how much. I have never dislocated it. I have had this problem approximately 1 1/2 years. In 2002 I had an injury (fall directly on kneecap) then scope (notching in kneecap was correctly and thermal skrinkage which really did nothing). I do not know if the original injury caused or contributed to my problem. I have some congenital issues (flat feet, overpronate) but I have fairly strong quad muscles. I have really bad patellar tendonitis, and pain under kneecap. Now pain near IT band. The tendonitis is very bad. I can't walk by the end of the day. I am very worried about getting this procedure. 1) Do you think I need it? Can I correct this with physical therapy and should I continue the quad/VMO  strengthening which has not worked for the past 1.5 years? 2) I have not read any success stories on this board of TTT/Fulkerson osteotomy? Can someone who has successfully had this surgery please comment? 3) I have a 17 month old son, so this is difficult for me to take care of him while the rehab is going (the weight gain did not help during pregnancy). How long post-op until I can begin my exercises? Bear weight? How long does rehab take? From what I have read it's 3 months. I like to be active and play sports. Will I able to ever jog or rollerblade again? I hope that within six months I can be physically active again. Finally and I am sorry for so many questions, I tape my knee every day which helps somewhat while I do my quad exercises. Does anyone have links to knee taping for this problem?; I have two good braces for P-tracking which do not work at all. Thanks for your replies!
cheers
Cassandra

Offline cassie70

• Regular Poster
Re: Any TTT/Fulkerson success stories out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 03:54:15 PM »
Also forgot to mention I have chrondomalcia (sp?). Patellar I think.
Hello,
I need advice on receiving a Fulkerson osteotomy. An MRI on left knee shows space under my kneecap, swelling, patellar tendonitis and bone bruising. This is the recommendation by my OS yesterday. I have tried three courses of PT to correct this problem (VMO and quad strengthening). Probably 3 mos, 4 mos, then six weeks. I have patellar maltracking problems and patellar tendonitis. My patella tracks both medially and laterally/ incorrectly (sort of like a whip or C), but it is not that bad. However it is tilted according to the PT but I can't tell how much. I have never dislocated it. I have had this problem approximately 1 1/2 years. In 2002 I had an injury (fall directly on kneecap) then scope (notching in kneecap was correctly and thermal skrinkage which really did nothing). I do not know if the original injury caused or contributed to my problem. I have some congenital issues (flat feet, overpronate) but I have fairly strong quad muscles. I have really bad patellar tendonitis, and pain under kneecap. Now pain near IT band. The tendonitis is very bad. I can't walk by the end of the day. I am very worried about getting this procedure. 1) Do you think I need it? Can I correct this with physical therapy and should I continue the quad/VMO  strengthening which has not worked for the past 1.5 years? 2) I have not read any success stories on this board of TTT/Fulkerson osteotomy? Can someone who has successfully had this surgery please comment? 3) I have a 17 month old son, so this is difficult for me to take care of him while the rehab is going (the weight gain did not help during pregnancy). How long post-op until I can begin my exercises? Bear weight? How long does rehab take? From what I have read it's 3 months. I like to be active and play sports. Will I able to ever jog or rollerblade again? I hope that within six months I can be physically active again. Finally and I am sorry for so many questions, I tape my knee every day which helps somewhat while I do my quad exercises. Does anyone have links to knee taping for this problem?; I have two good braces for P-tracking which do not work at all. Thanks for your replies!
cheers
Cassandra

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 03:48:43 AM »
I had my Fulkerson Osteotomy as well as an open lateral relase 5 and 1/2 years ago and mine worked perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Immediately post-op my knee grinding/pain and pressure was gone and 5 1/2 years later my knee still feels great and is 100% stable!!!! MY OS said if I get 5 years out of it then I might never need a Total knee replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a long and hard recovery but if you listen to the do's and don'ts from the OS and the physical therapists then it should be fine. Please make sure that the OS who does the surgery is well experienced with it!!!! My OS in 30 years of practice had only done 200 TTT's but with his technical expertise and planning where to move the kneecap over to ( mine was moved over and raised up), my OS used various CT scans measuring ranges of motion to see how the patella tracked. All of this combined made it a successfull TTT. Also, you have to make sure you DO whatever it is you are suppose to rehab wise. The surgeon can fix the problem but us patients must work to make sure it is successfull!!!!

Good Luck !!

Feel free to post or message me!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline cassie70

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »
Dear Cari,
I am glad to read that your fulkerson osteotomy was successsful. I have been very discouraged about it. Fearful about infection possibility, bone repair. I know the rehab is hard as I from what I have read. But I think I can handle it to have my pain gone and get back to being an athletic person. I have questions. Why do you need a total knee replacement in five years? Do you have other issues? Would you say it took three months to walk again? How long were you non weight bearing? thanks Cassie

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 04:19:26 AM »
Cassie~

i am VERY happy with my results with my first TTT.  now, im not as long post op as Cari is but i am still extremely pleased with my outcome.  i had my TTT on feb 25, so im about 3 months out.  my other knee is getting the same procedure in 2 weeks!!  i was very scared going into surgery from hearing all the hard recovery stories on this board and from people i know personally.  for me, i was off crutches in about 9 days.  i was weightbearing as tolerated as well.  for me, the TTT on my right knee has given me a part of my life back.  i'm soon to be 18 and was very very tired of living like a 90 year old!  ya just gotta work real hard at the rehab and go in this knowing it may be long and difficult, but the reward at the end is very much worth it....at least in my opinion.  i really hope that things work out for cassie.  let us know how you are doing!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:18 AM »
Cassie,

I guess I didn't word everything well...I do not knee a total knee replacement. My OS had told me that if I make 5 years post TTT and I am still doing very well then I would most likely never need a total knee replacement.

I was not weight bearing only a week. Then I was partial weight bearing for 6 more weeks. At that point I was just starting PT so I had no leg strength. I was told to wear my bledsoe immobilizer for another 3 weeks with no crutches allowing me to weight bear fully but still have support.  It took about an additional 2 weeks to really learn how to walk without limping or "feeling" like my leg was still immobilized.

If I can answer any other questions please feel free to ask !!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline KBABIARZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 04:35:27 PM »
Cassie,
I would recommend this surgery.   I had my fulkerson osteotomy on April 29, 2005 due to a constantly dislocating knee. I have a 3 year old and the last straw was when I fell this winter with her in my arms.  I have been dealing with knee problems and pain for 10 years.  I been through 2 arthroscopic surgeries and ALOT of therapy when my doctor said it was time to do this surgery.
It really isn't that bad.  I was doing ankle pumps in post op and bending about 10 degrees on the same day as surgery.  I was off of pain meds after the first week.  I highly recommend a femoral block for pain.  it lasted 48 hours and totally helped with the pain.  I am non weight bearing for 6 weeks and in a knee imobolizer when I walk.  When sitting I can take it off and bend as much as possible.  At 4 weeks post op I am at more than a 90 degree bend.  It is very tight but worth it to push through the pain.  I star therapy june 9th.  can't wait.  I am already back to work (desk job) but I cannot drive. I have very little pain now compared to before the surgery.

I needed a lot of help the first two weeks with my daughter but since then I have learned how to do a lot by myself.  I use a little kids shopping cart to put tings in and push it with my bad leg while I walk with the crutches.  I also have a back pack for the big things I need to carry.  I have it set up so the things I use everyday are in easy access.  The house looks messy but it works for me.  I also have my boyfriend set up cups and food for my daughter so all I have to do is get them out of the fridge. 

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.
Kathy

Offline coyote

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • www.cardsblossom.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 06:23:51 PM »
Hi Cassie,
It sounds like it may be time for you do this. Seeing Doctors who are specialize in this area and getting seconds opinions is critical. I went through 8 weeks touch down only weight bearing with a 2 year old.  I used day care and grandparents. You cannot do this without help-especially the first 4 weeks. She got used to sitting in lap and staying clear of moomy's owie.Get a wheel chair. Follow rehab orders and PT religiously. Excerise like crazy to build up the strength and don't jump ahead or try things before you are told it is okay - that when our fellow knee geeks have gotten in trouble.  The CPM machine is a must too for a smooth transtion back to walking. Look up past posts I have shared and you will get a good picture of what's involved. I too feel down the stairs carrying my 6 month old son when my knee gave out.  It it so stable now - i feel like the bionic woman - I never have felt I could trust that leg before.  Good luck!
In full recovery!, (with a touch of arthritis during climate changes...)

Cheryl

Osgood Slaughter RK  12 yrs old
Lateral release LK 25 yrs old followed by 5 years in knee heaven
years of pain, naprosin and falls
moderate osteoarthirtis, subluxation
TTO , LK,  11/08/04