Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Cap Dislocation  (Read 1976 times)

Offline scruffyhound

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Cap Dislocation
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to this board as well.  I have a dislocated knee cap.  It happened 3 weeks ago at work I slipped whist wearing all the correct PPE (personal protective equipment). I have been in plaster for just over thre weeks now and is due off next Monday.  I'm now thinking of claming for my injury and have rang a solicitor ???. Is there anyone else who is in a similar situation?

This is the first time it has happend and I hope it does not heppen again, as I have been told my knee cap rides high and is quite small. I have been reading some other peoples accounts of what has happened to them, I cant belive people get dislocations over and over I feel really sorry for you guys.  I've only doen it once and it was not very plesant and very painfull!! I'm also worried as whilst I've been off I have found out I'm pregnant(very happy ;D about this by the way!) so this is going ot put more strain on my knee as well!

I wish you all well with you different injuries and problems,

Thanks for your time,

Claire

Offline firefighter2073

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee Cap Dislocation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »
hi claire

first of all congrats on ur pregnancy!!! ;D

when u have ur plaster taken of ur probably be put in a knee brace whilst seeing the physio
just remeber to keep it rested do plenty of 10min hot and cold treatment .. also when doing ur physio exercise take pain killers the more u can take the pain the beeter quicker it will heal ..

and keep up the cardio v  but remeber u want to get the ligaments stronger so improve the quality by the stretching exercises..
the best 1 i can tell u is by standing on the bottom step of ur stairs(if u have them) facing away from the stairs.. with ur bad leg on the step and move ur good leg to the floor and then bring it back up to the step keep doin this every day until it becomes uncompfy each day u should notice the quality of ur inner quad ligaments improve.. the 2nd stretch is the reverse basically at the bottom of the stairs facing them put ur bad leg on the first step then with ur good leg come up just touch the first step and go back to the ground.. keeping ur bad leg on the first step at all times.. anouther good thing is ask ur physio if u can take a theraband home with u.. he/she will explain ..

i wasnt so lucky.. i first dislocated my patella 3 years ago and dident bother to much with rehab now ive had a full patella realinment and a lateral release .. so just keep up the hard work and hopefully it will pay of.. just remeber quality not mass the stronger ur ligaments are the less likely it will ever happen again

all my best and good luck with ur lil baby
martyn
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 04:17:51 PM by firefighter2073 »
02' dislocated left patella..on a stag night(drunk)
02' a further 1 relaps's..playing rugby
03' a further 3 relaps's..playing rugby
04' a further 3 relaps's..fell awkward..sex!..turning around
DEC 04' keyhole
DEC 04' full patella realinement..lateral release..bone graft

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:06:38 PM »
hi claire

sorry to hear about your knee, i dislocated my right patella in january (1st and hopefully the last time!) i was in plaster for 4 weeks then in a cricket-backed splint for 2 weeks and i have since been given a hindged support which i dont really need anymore - but i am still doing physio...

i would definitely seek advice from a solicitor but make sure that they claim 'their fee' from the people you are claiming against - rather than deducting it from your compensation!

2nd congrats on your pregnancy!!! - please dont take any painkillers as martyn suggested - unless directed by your GP as you know these cannot be taken whilst pregnant! (sorry martyn - womens things!)

as soon as you come out of plaster your knee will be incredibley stiff - mine was and i could only bend it 30 degrees!!! now im doing over 110 degrees and slowly but surely building up my quads etc again (my leg looks like a 4 yr old childs where i have really bad muscle wastage!) but ive been doing physio for about 6 weeks now and whilst its been slow its been really good!

the main thing is to build up your quads - where you have been in plaster it would have pretty much wasted away so speak to your physio about building these up - walking on a treadmill is excellent (and on a incline!) but dont over do it because of your bubba!

good luck and keep us all posted!

nikki x
Nikki Michel

Age 20
Jan 2005 - dislocated right patella

Offline firefighter2073

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:53 PM »
oops sorry claire nikki is right i forgot about ur wee bairn NO painkillers .. u might be able to take some herbal remandies??
DEC 04' keyhole

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »
haha thats a better alternative!
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline scruffyhound

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »
Hello to you guys,

Thanks for your advise about the knee.  I will take this advise and see how it goes on Monday.   I must admit whist I recokn I wont be able to bend my knee (as it will be stiff) it will just be nice to not have the added weight on it, and to sleep a bit better at night. I cant wait to shave my leg!!!  As ladies know its not very nice!  And not to mention a nice bath!

So a cricket splint would be the next step you all think eh? I must admit that would be better.  How much longer were any of you off work after the plaster came off? As I'm going stir crazy sitting at home doing bits around the house not being able to go any where it sucks!  Is anyone else feeling a bit cheesed off? :( 

I'm sorry to hear about you Martyn and Nikki you guys have had it rough!  Was the stag night out good up until that point though?

Thanks fo your support guys and I hope you both get better.

If I find out any extra info I will post it.

Claire

Offline firefighter2073

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 04:50:31 PM »
ello again claire..

yeah u wont be doin any sort of those stretches yet .. there more advanced maybe ur 6th week? depending on how many times u do pt a week..
before my op each time i dislocated  id always be in plaster or a full leg splint for 6weeks. then a half splint or brace whilts doin pt (about 5weeks) then the braces came off and work was allowed but no straining i was only allowed light duties admin mostly sit down job!! then as soon as id be getting better. POP out it went again!!

in total ive been of work for about 1 year 4 months!! ive put on some weight .. anti depresants and been on every benefits u can think of!!
which i hate and now ive had the opp give it 2 more months and ill be back at work full time!!

lol claire.. id only just got to the beer kealer in bristol.. got my first pint in and was on the table lol i was in A&E by 10.30pm
(((((((((hugz)))))))))))
martyn
DEC 04' keyhole

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 05:06:13 PM »
Did your patella dislocate medially or laterally? 

Part of my initial post injury rehab was a the use of a patella stabilizer brace that had a thick pad on the lateral side of the patella, then had 2 bands one over the thigh and the other over the calf,  then there were 2 elastic straps that went the oposite direction to tension the brace and hold the patella.  This thing was rather odd looking but really worked to keep my patella from popping out. 

I can check for a part number and manufacturer if you would like.

Hop-along-casualty
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline firefighter2073

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:12:14 PM »
MAN I NEVER GOT NONE OF THAT.. i had a sh*tty old brace with velcro strap above and below my patella and on the sides where metal hindges .. only had those sort of braces.. it dislocated to the outside
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:14:38 PM by firefighter2073 »
DEC 04' keyhole

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 07:30:03 PM »
It will either be this evening or tomorrow morning GMT -5 before I can get you the brand and model of this funky little brace. 

Seriously it doesn't look like it woud help but it does.  I paid $58.00 USD to the doctors office for this little guy and it really stabilized my patella (wanted to dislocate laterally [outside]) while I was doing PT.  Keep working the quads and I will write soon.

Hop-along-casualty

PS the hinged braces are more for MCL, LCL, ACL, and PCL injuries and instabilities, however, some of the off the shelf "compression sleave" models may have a patella cutout with horse shoe band to help hold the patella.   I have had those type back in the early 90's and honestly did not have a lot of luck. 

When doing activities "ice hockey" I use a CTi Edge brace (multi-instability functional hinged brace) on my right leg with a neoprene undersleave w/patella cutout.  I never had injured my left leg before so I was not bracing it.  Since blowing out the left knee in January I have dropped out of my "old timers" league.  LOL. 
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 09:43:30 AM »
i had that brace you're talking about hopalong - we call it a Cricket-Back splint....but its nice cos you can take it off and have a bath etc, obviously something you cant do in plaster!!!

Claire,

i was off work since Jan 26th....up until i was pretty much made to resign (wont go into that now!) but yesterday i felt able enough to get on london transport and go back up the city and saw a couple of agencies with regards to new jobs! (very exciting!) i was given all the forms from my old work with regards to incapacity benefit but i never actually claimed - something i said i would never do!!!!!! i am personally able to leave the house and look for work, someone like our drunk fireman is obviously completely entitled to it! (hugs martyn!!!)
xx
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline scruffyhound

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »
Hello Nikki and Martyn,

Hope you guys are ok.  I have found a few days ago that the people at work knew there was a problem with the overshoes that i slipped in.  There had been complaints about them but were not made noticed as they were cheaper than other over shoes!  So I'm quite mad  >:(now as this is what caused me to slip by wearing two pairs of them!!! I do not feel unreasonable now to claim for compensation as this could of been prevanted.  Anyway had my plaster off today feels weird I was not given any support or anything just told to take it easy and wait for physio appointment.  I cant belive how swollen it is still and how flakey and mankey it is! It was nice to shave my leg though I felt like half women half beast!  I have been sick this week with baby so sorry not to reply sooner.

Nikki sorry to hear about your work.  Sometimes people you work for are just total well........... I wont swear as anyone could be looking at this.  But you know what I mean! And as for claming benifit the same as I said to Martyn if you have worked and paid into the system then well its up to you.  But I have to agree I would of done the same as you depending on bills and stuff to pay.  I mean my dad claims it and he can walk and talk and cook for him self but is diagnosed with a mental illness. 

Anyway good luck job hunting I'm sure someone will snap you up in no time.  I have only ever been out of work for a few months when I was about 20 it sucked! But then I worked as a vet nurse and ended up with a crazy mutt it was as if it was ment to be!

Hope you are both ok,

Take care,

Claire :)

Offline firefighter2073

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 09:37:47 PM »
hello again claire im glad to hear ur now free from the plaster.. lol and im happy u can get the garden shears out on that bushey leg!!

wierd that they dident give u any support after though?? mind u id always take my small knee brace in with me.. so i put it on my self.. i was so scared and nerveous after the 3rd time!! lol

good luck with ur pt just keep getting stronger

all the best martyn 8)
DEC 04' keyhole